Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    matirxvette05

Default Shifting problems on c6

I have a 6 speed c6 and almost every time i come to a stop the shifter has a hard time going into 1st gear to get car running again..has anybody experienced this problem??

Corvette(s)
    1973 L82 Blue Coupe

Are you trying to shift into first while the car is still in motion or are you putting it in first from a complete stop? I know some cars have a blocker if the car is above a certain MPH. Not sure if the newer Corvettes are that way though.

bobby1

Someone posts they have a problem, gets advise, never hear from him again!!We need to follow up on all problems by letting us KNOW how they got resolved!!

Jack Stanfield

I have noted the same problem shifting into first after coming to a complete stop. Happened with my test drive at the dealer also. Salesman said 'it happens' and just to 'push hard'. I have found that shifting into second, then back to first solves the problem.

jimmy kontoulas

I have experienced this problem numerous times while at a complete stop. I always put the shifter in the neutral position while stopped, just out of habit. When the light turns green I am frantically trying to shift into first gear however it always feels as if the gears are out of sinc and wan't mesh. Mentioned this to my service manager, he suggested my shifter may need replacing. I only have 978 miles on this car.

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

This is fairly common on the 6-speed cars since 89. I think it's normal as it occurs on my 92, my wive's 03 and our CTS-V. It also happened on our previous 96 CE. I usually down shift to first before coming to a stop. If I do put it in neutral while stopped, I usually check it to see if the syncros and gears are aligned up and if they are not, I find that shifting into second then back to first does the trick.
    Tuna
    NCM Lifer - NCM Fighter Squadron
    2014 Caravan Captain - OK/TX Panhandle
    Central OK CC - Lone Star CC

Corvette(s)
    2010 Jetstream Blue Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air

I use the same 2nd back to 1st. It seems to have gotten better. I have 6k on the clock now. It was very prevalent on my 2000 FRC and I have never had it happen on my ZR1. Luck of the draw sometimes.

Tyson

I picked up my C6 a week ago and noticed the same issue right away. I have noticed that if my car is in motion and coming to a stop, it is difficult to slip the shifter into 1st. Once the car is stopped, the shifter easily moves into 1st.

I agree with KORVETTEKAR, down shifting into 2nd then 1st also seems to "fit" easier.

It seems to me that there is definitely a difference slipping the shifter between gears while the car is in motion compared to a stop. It is as if the "gap" in the gear gets smaller when the car is moving. Even during acceleration the "gap" seems smaller. This then makes me think I am not in the right place, and I tend to "giggle" the shifter, only making it worse. Now that I understand this smaller "gap" is there, I just pull/push the shifter in with more confidence and everything is ok.

Hope this helps.

BTW - This is my first Corvette and my first Post here! WOOHOO!
    (I hope that doesn't diminish my post. )

HotVetteHotBlonde-Wink

I have a automatic C6. It gets bound up every once in a while when I first start the car and go to shift out of park to drive. The release button wont push down. What do ya think? And yes I do have my foot on the brake. lol

HotVetteHotBlonde-Wink

Quote Originally Posted by matirxvette05
    I have a 6 speed c6 and almost every time i come to a stop the shifter has a hard time going into 1st gear to get car running again..has anybody experienced this problem??
    Got this off of another site:
    Intermittent Block Out of first gear from a stop.

2005 chevy corvette and ssr
    2005 pontiac gto
    Equiped with manual 6 speed (rpo-MM6, M10, M12 or MZ6) Transmission

The following diagnosis might be helpful if vehicle exhibits the symtom(s) described.

Condition/Concern
    Intermittent block out of gear at a stop. Driver may have the vehicle in nuetral while stopped in traffic and when depressing the clutch pedal to engage first gear, the shift is blocked.

Recomended instructions;
    if this condition occurs less than 5% of the time it would be considered normal. This condition occurring more than 5% of the time should be repaired. A clutching tooth improvement has been made to the first speed gear. Replace the first speed gear in the transmission. Check the gap between the verticle faces of the blocking ring teeth and the speed gear.

This is just an email that came from a dealership sent to someone from another corvette site.

HotVetteHotBlonde-Wink

also if you want to eliminate having to shift from 1st to 4th look into a "SKIP SHIFT (CAGS) ELIMINATOR" part. Costs $15.99 Go to "Corvette Store" web site and click on "under the hood" I do not know anyone that has purchased and installed it.

Corvette(s)
    2005 black vert; 1996 silver vert

Default CAGS eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by HotVetteHotBlonde-Wink
    also if you want to eliminate having to shift from 1st to 4th look into a "SKIP SHIFT (CAGS) ELIMINATOR" part. Costs $15.99 Go to "Corvette Store" web site and click on "under the hood" I do not know anyone that has purchased and installed it.
    I've done the CAGS eliminator. The 1 to 4 shift light still comes on, but lets you shift from 1st to 2nd. It takes less than 2 minutes to install once you have the driver's side of car jacked up or on a lift.

Corvette(s)
    07 c6z RFE, 04 c5z CE

I had this "1st gear" problem. I also did the TSB as mentioned in the thread.

It did help. But it seems to be re-appearing again. Argh! (not as often)
    In a car of this class, this SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE!!!

The TSB replaces some of the forks in the transmission. If this problem doesn't go away or it cannot be fixed, I'm selling my C6. I've never had this problem with any manual transmission. I'll also guess this is going to be a problem in the c6z06 as well. Same transmission.

This just isn't right!
    -Bill.

digirob

Default Shift problem....

I've had my 2005 DSOM vert for 2 weeks. I have experienced the shift problem 2 times. I now have 1012 miles on the car (most back and forth from my dealer on the other side of the state to finalize and check the nav that was missing the data disc)...anyway...my C4 did that and actually, every manual I've ever had has had that problem from GM, toyota and Nissan. I have always driven a stick and they have all done the same thing from time to time.

If it does it too much have the dealer look at it.

-Rob

WingNut43

Picked up my Monterey Red Metallic C6 in July. Shifted stiff and had problems getting into first on ocassion. Now have 3,000 miles and seems to work fine now. Perhaps it was just stiff as it was new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast