Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2009 Cyber Gray Z51 C6

Default Please help: ball joint

I've searched around and haven't found an answer, probably because it's an amateurish question! I will be working in installing my new BB exhaust tomorrow morning (that part I can handle) and was hoping to cut some of the bushing off of the stock leaf spring lowering bolts. I've read numerous walk throughs and most mention that's it's easy if you do it through the lower shock mount and the lower ball joint (to gain the room/space needed to get them out). Problem is, I don't know diddly about ball joints. I can handle the loosening and then tapping with a hammer (I read that part), but is it that simple? Will I be able to just tap the ball joint back into place? Or do ball joints require some special tool?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined in general, but just haven't dealt with ball joints.

It's a 2009 C6 with z51 suspension.

Thanks for any help that can be offered!

Just for reference, I use to be a mustang guy and have installed lowering springs, exhaust, intakes, mid-pipes, etc....many a time....do I'm not 'completely' ignorant (with emphasis on the 'completely'). But I never had a Vette, nor have I ever had to deal with a ball joint.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Dad
    Corvette(s)
    05Silver/Red6spd 72Blk/Blk4Spd 64Red/Red/Wht4spd

After putting Corsa's on 5 C5s and 2 C6s I've never had a ball joint apart to do so. Are you refering to the stabalizer bar links? Those I did have to drop to get them in the C5 and one automatic we loosened the spring mount to raise the transmission about an 1/8 inch, but never had to remove a ball joint.

After re-reading your question if you're refering to getting at the spring pads to lower it I've never done that myself. All the ball joints I've pulled I did use a puller plus a sharp rap with a hammer to help some of them.

Good luck.

C6 has been to 20 states, 49K miles and counting... slowly, more fun driving the '64 and the '72.

Corvette(s)
    2009 Cyber Gray Z51 C6

Thanks Dad (ok, that felt weird to say! )...yes, it's the spring bolts/pads I'm trying to get to.

Anyone else?

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

It not clear in your OP, but I think you want to remove the spring adjuster screws so you can shave some of the rubber off to lower the car. Am I right?

Corvette(s)
    2009 Cyber Gray Z51 C6

Yes, you are correct....unfortunately, the help was late, albeit very appreciated. I went to do it this morning. So what I ended up doing is skipping the ball joints (just didn't want the trouble) and instead just removed the lower shock bolt, which gave me about an inch of play. that was enough to get my sawzall blade in there and cut off half of the bushing. Worked perfect! Thanks for the help! Rear is a little lower now and my new Billy Boat exhaust sounds amazing!

Corvette(s)
    2009 Cyber Gray Z51 C6

Here are pics of the new exhaust....black ceramic coated 4" tips!