Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow

Default Headlight Cover Damage

I have attached a picture of the headlight cover on my 2006. These cracks or whatever they are originate on the INSIDE of the lens. Does anyone else have this damage on their headlight lenses? Can anyone give me advice on how to fix it short of spending $1000 on a new headlight. Unfortunately the covers are not available separately. The damage is on both sides though the driver's side is not as bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headlight.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	6017
    Randy Smith, Kokomo, Indiana
    Velocity Yellow 2006 6sp, Z51

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

WOW!
    Never seen anything like that. The covers on my '06 are still in good shape.
    Tuna
    NCM Lifer - NCM Fighter Squadron
    2014 Caravan Captain - OK/TX Panhandle
    Central OK CC - Lone Star CC

Corvette(s)
    2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat

Quote Originally Posted by yellow_2002_germany View Post
    I have attached a picture of the headlight cover on my 2006. These cracks or whatever they are originate on the INSIDE of the lens. Does anyone else have this damage on their headlight lenses? Can anyone give me advice on how to fix it short of spending $1000 on a new headlight. Unfortunately the covers are not available separately. The damage is on both sides though the driver's side is not as bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headlight.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	6017
    do you have the protector film on the lens or any mods to lights for more output??
    retired race engine builder,former NASCAR tech inspector,corvette owner since 1959, new corvettes owned,59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99,02,05, 2008 is in my garage, 2008 sold and waiting for my C-7

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by motorman View Post
    do you have the protector film on the lens or any mods to lights for more output??
    No, I don't. It is just the cover. I just wish Chevy sold them separately. You can get every other outside lenses separately, just not these. I guess if a rock kicks up and cracks a cover you just have to spend $1000 to buy a whole new headlight assembly.

Corvette(s)
    Hers: 2007 Atomic Orange, His: 2007 Machine Silver

What Tuna said,

WOW, I've never seen anything like that either. Both of mine are fine.
    Hecox

Corvette(s)
    2006 C6Z DSOM

Your lenses are suffering from "crazing." This happens when they're heated up or from flexion. The only way to heat them up (internally) is to install higher wattage bulbs inside them. Since your are HID (and are supposed to be "cool" then that's not it. However, you DO have incandescent bulbs in your ambers. This generates a lot of heat (as discoverd by electrical connections have been reported as "melted.")
    Here are your choices~

1. Spend the $2000 on new headlamps. (Hopefully, it won't happen again.)

2. Send your headlamps to someone like Lingenfelter that removes your lens and replaces it with theirs. (Don't know the cost here.)

3. Get some lenses from an auction site, and replace them yourself. (I hear it takes about an hour each.)

4. Leave them as is and get insurance to buy new ones when you make a claim. (Something about driving thru a dust storm, I heard.)

5. Do not have clear bra installed on the lenses as it helps hold the inside temps up.

The only thing I do while driving is turn off the ambers, hoping that the lenses will stay cooler...(that and I'm trying to reduce the underhood fire risk from the wires/connectors...)

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow

I have found out where I can purchase lenses for replacement. I will not mention where from since I do not believe they are a sponsor here.

I might give that a try in the spring.

Anyone know how easy it is to remove the headlight assembly from the car?

I have not made any modifications to my headlights. Maybe I can find an LED bulb for the amber side indicator lamp. Who knows.

Corvette(s)
    2005 Black S/C Convertible

Actually this is a pretty common problem. I had this happen on my 05. I replaced them and the first series of hot days that i had the car covered outside it happened again. It sucks. There is suppose to be a way to remove most of the scathing or whatever it is called. They do actually have a term for it but I am at a loss to remember the name right now. Anyway, don't feel alone as I know several others with C6's that have the problem.