Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2005 Lemans Blue Coupe

Default AC Freon question HELP on my way to the "mechanic"

I've had several serious problems with my 05 coupe. The latest is the AC failing after I had extensive work on the front of the engine. That's another story. Anyway I'm being told that my AC compressor won't kick on because I'm low on freon. My response was well there must be a leak. He replied not so the freon can just "run out" I think this is BS.
    Any thoughts???

Corvette(s)
    1972 stringray

Joe,

If your freon is low, then there is a leak. If your A/C guy is telling you this, find another shop.

Need to find the leak. Look for oil stains on the components. They are going to have to charge the system with nitrogen and find the leak.

Cheers

Vito

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR1 BLACK/RED 2865

I think you need to find a new mechanic!
    ßill

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

The refrigerant in the HVAC does not just "run out". There has to be a leak somewhere.

If the refrigerant (not "freon" but R134a) has leaked to a point that air has gotten into it, the system needs to have more than just a "refill". It will need to be properly serviced.

An HVAC guy who says it can just run out lacks credibility. I'd take the car to a service facility which specializes in air conditioning work.

Corvette(s)
    1989 Medium Blue Metallic Z51 Coupe

The best way to find a leak in a a/c system is to have your tech put dye in the system and look for the leak with a ultraviolet light.
    When everything's coming your way. You're in the WRONG LANE !!