Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2007, LS2, Monterey Red, auto.

Default Fuel range question.

This is my first C6. Tonight I filled the tank. Hit reset like I have on my C4 and C5 in the past. But although the average MPG and instant MPG reset to zero the range said 312. Isn't that low? My C5 got about 456 miles per tank and it would reset then climb back to what it thought was the correct range.

As I drove home I kept an eye on it and it slowly climbed up to 317 miles to go. Is there a problem or is this the normal range of a C6? I have an LS2. I just had the tires replaced today too. Bought some Michelin Pilot Sport Pro A+ AS ZP run flats. Nice tires.

Thanks.

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

Good question. I never pay any attention to the 'range' value until it gets low!

In town, my wife gets 20-21mpg with her LS2 and 30-31 on the freeways. So the range is a lot more than 317. I wonder if there is a stored 'aveage' mileage that doesn't get reset and the range is based on this historic value.

Good choice in tires - I put PS2 AS ZPs on my 08 recently and I'm pretty happy with them.
    Tuna
    NCM Lifer - NCM Fighter Squadron
    2014 Caravan Captain - OK/TX Panhandle
    Central OK CC - Lone Star CC

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Good question. I never pay any attention to the 'range' value until it gets low!

In town, my wife gets 20-21mpg with her LS2 and 30-31 on the freeways. So the range is a lot more than 317. I wonder if there is a stored 'aveage' mileage that doesn't get reset and the range is based on this historic value.

Good choice in tires - I put PS2 AS ZPs on my 08 recently and I'm pretty happy with them.
    Thanks Tuna. I kinda figured that. I looked through my manual this morning and it says it updates the range very slowly.

The tires are sweet. They handle nice and are not too hard. I mean they're not like my Michelins on my C5 which were NOT run flats. So there is a difference but it is negligible. I would rather have run flats for the convenience.

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Higg View Post
    The tires are sweet. They handle nice and are not too hard. I mean they're not like my Michelins on my C5 which were NOT run flats. So there is a difference but it is negligible. I would rather have run flats for the convenience.
    2 of my 3 cars are Michelin shod now - only the wive's 06 still has Goodyears and that may change next year. I prefer the run-flats also since there's no spare or jack in the Vettes. My V does not have run-flats and it doesn't have a spare or jack either - that concerns me. Run-flats in the V size aren't available yet either. Since the V comes with a spare tire well, I ordered a spare tire kit for it. Now if the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports would come in run-flat and in the V sizes, I'd be set.
    Tuna

Corvette(s)

2 of my 3 cars are Michelin shod now - only the wive's 06 still has Goodyears and that may change next year. I prefer the run-flats also since there's no spare or jack in the Vettes. My V does not have run-flats and it doesn't have a spare or jack either - that concerns me. Run-flats in the V size aren't available yet either. Since the V comes with a spare tire well, I ordered a spare tire kit for it. Now if the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports would come in run-flat and in the V sizes, I'd be set.
    I bought mine at Kauffman tire. I called a lot of places and had them not only do a price match but had them throw in a free alignment.
    I also bought the lifetime warranty on the tires where they'll replace them for free.

The car was only a little out of alignment considering 30K on the clock. The rears were out a little in toe.

But those Eagles were almost baloney skins, especially on the front. I suppose that would be because of all the weight of the engine?

I have read that the F1s are very soft rubber and last only about 30,000 miles. I don't know what the overall preference is here at the CAC on tires but I'm happy with Michelins.

I agree, I dint like having to drive a car sans spare. Junk has a tire repair kit but their hard to find.

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

But those Eagles were almost baloney skins, especially on the front. I suppose that would be because of all the weight of the engine?

I have read that the F1s are very soft rubber and last only about 30,000 miles.
    The F1 GS2 (treadwear rating 300) that comes with the base or MagRide Vette isn't very soft and getting 30K out of them is pretty good.

It's the F1 SuperCar tire (treadwear rating 220) that comes on the Z51 Vette that's very soft and 15K is about all they are worth - if you're lucky and never push it.

The Michelin AS ZP tires have Treadwear ratings of 400 or 500 and ought to last a lot longer. The PS2's on my V are still 220 - if I get 18 months out of them, I'll be doing good.
    Tuna

Corvette(s)

The F1 GS2 (treadwear rating 300) that comes with the base or MagRide Vette isn't very soft and getting 30K out of them is pretty good.

It's the F1 SuperCar tire (treadwear rating 220) that comes on the Z51 Vette that's very soft and 15K is about all they are worth - if you're lucky and never push it.

The Michelin AS ZP tires have Treadwear ratings of 400 or 500 and ought to last a lot longer. The PS2's on my V are still 220 - if I get 18 months out of them, I'll be doing good.
    So Tuna, in your opinion, what would be the best riding, longest lasting ZP's for a C6?

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

So Tuna, in your opinion, what would be the best riding, longest lasting ZP's for a C6?
    I have experience with both Goodyear and Michelin run-flat tires.

- GY OEM F1 GSC EMTs on a C4 - sucked and couldn't wear them out fast enough.
    - GY OEM F1 GS EMT's on 2 C5's - as they got older and more worn, they got louder and harsher. Switched to M PS2 AS ZP and was very happy. Sold the car before they got worn enough to see if they got noisy or harsh.
    - GY OEM F1 GS2 EMT's on 2 C6's - similar issues with the C5 version but not as harsh as they got older - switched one C6 to M PS2 AS Plus ZP - like them pretty good.
    - GY OEM F1 Supercar EMT on a V1 - wore out very fast, quiet and reasonably smooth for the stiff suspension on the V1. Switched to GY F1 GS D3 EMTs and was very happy - smooth, quiet, lasted a good long time and worked in rain, snow and dry.

*** I think if GY made a D3 EMT in C6 sizes, I'd be using them instead of the Michelins - depending on the price. I really liked the D3s on my V. Also, the PS2 AS ZPs come in 400 or 500 treadwear ratings, so they may not provide the dry traction I really want and the 'regular' PS2 has a much lower treadwear rating (like the Supercar tire) and will wear out fast. The D3 EMT is rated at 280 and my experience indicates a life of around 25,000 miles and really good dry traction while being great in the rain also. ***

The latest versions of both are much better than previous generations. GY EMTs are supposed to last longer without pressure compared to the Michelins - that's one reason the Michelins are quieter, the side wall isn't as stiff. So far the only time we had to 'test' the driving distance without air is with the GY D3s on the V1 as my wife hit a chunk of concrete on the turnpike and cut a hole in the side wall. She drove it another 20 miles into town and it was starting to look real bad but was still driving okay.

I have not tried any other run flat tires.
    Tuna

Corvette(s)

I have experience with both Goodyear and Michelin run-flat tires.

- GY OEM F1 GSC EMTs on a C4 - sucked and couldn't wear them out fast enough.
    - GY OEM F1 GS EMT's on 2 C5's - as they got older and more worn, they got louder and harsher. Switched to M PS2 AS ZP and was very happy. Sold the car before they got worn enough to see if they got noisy or harsh.
    - GY OEM F1 GS2 EMT's on 2 C6's - similar issues with the C5 version but not as harsh as they got older - switched one C6 to M PS2 AS Plus ZP - like them pretty good.
    - GY OEM F1 Supercar EMT on a V1 - wore out very fast, quiet and reasonably smooth for the stiff suspension on the V1. Switched to GY F1 GS D3 EMTs and was very happy - smooth, quiet, lasted a good long time and worked in rain, snow and dry.

*** I think if GY made a D3 EMT in C6 sizes, I'd be using them instead of the Michelins - depending on the price. I really liked the D3s on my V. Also, the PS2 AS ZPs come in 400 or 500 treadwear ratings, so they may not provide the dry traction I really want adn the 'regular' PS2 has a much lower treadwear rating (like the Supercar tire) and will wear out fast. The D3 EMT is rated at 280 and my experience indicates a life of around 25,000 miles and really good dry traction while being great in the rain also. ***

The latest versions of both are much better than previous generations. GY EMTs are supposed to last longer without pressure compared to the Michelins - that's one reason the Michelins are quieter, the side wall isn't as stiff. So far the only time we had to 'test' the driving distance without air is with the GY D3s on the V1 as my wife hit a chunk of concrete on the turnpike and cut a hole in the side wall. She drove it another 20 miles into town and it was starting to look real bad but was still driving okay.

I have not tried any other run flat tires.
    Wow! That's a lot of info. Thanks. I really appreciate it as I don't know a whole lot about tires. I had Michelins on my C5 and liked them so I did some research and found out they make run flats and I read a lot of good reviews on them so I went with them.

Have a merry Christmas!