Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1969 R.Gold CV. Original 8K miles. Pilot 1970 LT1

Default Crankshaft pulley

Hello everyone

I have a 2006 CV w/42K miles. The doggone crankshaft pulley is starting to wabble. Has anyone attemped to change the pulley at home?

Has anyone had a problem with a crankshaft pulley wabbling on their C6?

Is there a TSB on this problem?

If you have any info please let me know.

Thanks

Don't forget the NCRS show in Kissimmee, Florida January 20-25, 2010

Corvette(s)
    '07 C6 coupe

The pulley on my '07 C6 was wobbly @ 24K miles. I am the 2nd owner. Dealer replaced it under warranty. They said it was "not uncommon". Looks like a bunch of crap is in front of it and the price was right so I let them do it.

Corvette(s)
    2005 C6 Z51, 2003 C5 Z06, 1987 C4 conv

I just finished pinning my pulley .... for a supercharger install... similar access problem as your pulley replacement. The following has to come out (in this order);

1/ Front sway bar
    2/ power steering cooler
    3/ disconnect the upper rad hose and rad overflow hose
    4/ remove the MAF and air cleaner assembly .... all of it back to the intake inlet
    5/ ABS unit mounting frame (but not the ABS unit itself or brake lines .... they do not need to be disconnected). Be careful of the right and left ABS mounting studs ... they're just sitting in holes in the side of the ABS unit and have squared sides that have to line up into the bracket itself upon re-assmbly.
    6/ remove top rad shroud & then remove the electric fan assembly
    7/ disconnect steering wheel linkage from the rack (make sure the steering wheel is locked in the dead straight position and do not move it while the rack is out)
    8/ 2 hose connections that connect to the top of the steering rack
    9/ steering rack itself has to come out. This is done by sliding the rack out the passenger side ... while rotating it....then dropping it out the middle of the frame as its pulled back toward the drivers side. It'll look like its impossible to get out of there .... but it does come out.

...not technically difficult ... but a lot to do ... It'll probably take you a couple of honest days of work to get it done.

one other thing ... make sure you have a decent 150+ psi impact gun and capable compressor .... or you wont get the crank bolt off (once you get all the stuff out of the way to get at the pulley).

I did not remove the pulley itself.... I did my drilling & pinning with the pulling installed... so I cant comment on whether its a bitch to pull it off. I would be surprised if its an easy pull though ... judging by how tight the crank bolt was.

Good luck.
    eboch

PS: I dont have any crazy garage setup ... basic mechanics tools, compressor etc ... car front-end was simply raised up on jack stands.