Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2008/Z51, 1998 Coupe, 1984, 1972 Roadster

Default Read/Delete C6 ECM Codes

Is there a manual way to read the ecm codes from the DIC on a C6? I had a C5 but the procedure does not work since you have no key to turn on the ignition (step 1). Should I assume I have to buy one of the many handheld devices to get the job done? Thanks for your help.

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow

Welcome to the CAC!

Yes, you will have to buy a scan tool to read your codes. Make sure to look for a CAN (controller area network) enabled scan tool. Most new ones are; however, some older ones are not.

Keep in mind that most scan tools will only read powertrain control module (P) codes. If you have an ABS light (C codes), you would need a scan tool with added abilities. Actron sells one that reads only C codes(CP9449) and Innova sells a tool that scans P and C codes (Innova 3150).

Hope all of this info helps and I am sure others will add more.

You picked a good place to find information about your corvette.
    Randy Smith, Kokomo, Indiana
    Velocity Yellow 2006 6sp, Z51

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellow_2002_germany View Post
    Welcome to the CAC!

Yes, you will have to buy a scan tool to read your codes. Make sure to look for a CAN (controller area network) enabled scan tool. Most new ones are; however, some older ones are not.

Keep in mind that most scan tools will only read powertrain control module (P) codes. If you have an ABS light (C codes), you would need a scan tool with added abilities. Actron sells one that reads only C codes(CP9449) and Innova sells a tool that scans P and C codes (Innova 3150).

Hope all of this info helps and I am sure others will add more.

You picked a good place to find information about your corvette.
    Thanks, Randy. You confirmed what I was thinking.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobra502 View Post
    Thanks, Randy. You confirmed what I was thinking.
    Randy, I have a question you might be able to answer. I started looking at the Equus line OBDII readers. Part of the connection procedure says to
    "turn ignition key to on, but don't start car". What do you do for this on a C6? Will it connect and read when the reader is plugged in? Thanks for any help before I decide which one to buy.

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow

For a C6 "ignition on-engine off" you need to press and hold the bottom of the ignition switch like you are going to put your car in accessory mode. You just need to hold it down for about 3 seconds or so and everything will be energized but the engine will not be on.
    Randy Smith, Kokomo, Indiana
    Velocity Yellow 2006 6sp, Z51