Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2005 victory red vert

Default LS7 into a C6, 6speed LS3 Vert

Planning topurchase a GMPP LS7 to replace my LS3. Other than Dry Sump are there any issues to look out for. Has anyone done it.

Corvette(s)
    Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

WOW - Have you already replaced the LS2 in your 2005 with an LS3 already?

L8TR - D

Corvette(s)
    2005 victory red vert

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    WOW - Have you already replaced the LS2 in your 2005 with an LS3 already?

L8TR - D
    No put blower on '05. runs fairly good.

Getting a 2010 6-sp Grand Sport vert. As I'm sure you know the underpinings are essentially Z06. However, LS3s on the ragtops are not dry sump unlike the GS coups. Plan to have an LS7 installed unless there are major issues. Since the 6-sp GS coup comes with dry sump, trans axle oil cooler, remote battery, etc., those parts are available. I was really concerned about engine placement, spacings, etc. On one site there was talk about engine placement being slightly different, fractions of an inch.. That could be a pain in the butt and might force me to go to an LS3 418 or the like. I am still in the planning stages, however..

Corvette(s)
    2006 C6Z DSOM

If you go with an LS7, you will want to change the rockers as the OEM rockers have had issues. Don't use Harland Sharp as a replacement either as they don't stand behind their product.

If you are thinking of forced induction on the LS7, you might want to look at how much material is between the cylinders. (I'd go low pressure at best.)

The Z06 engine placement is lower and more rearward than the standard Corvette. This is for weight balance.

If your main goal is "dry sump", then you will want to use the 10.5qt system on the 2009 (and later) Z06/ZR1. Sustained left turns with high lateral G's have produced some oil starvation problems (with the 8qt system) that surface in the "big ends" of the conrods. I can post pics if you want of such a situation that occurred @ Auto Club Speedway in California last November.
    From what I understand, this is not an isolated case. There are threads regarding "oil starvation" with Z06s on the *other site.*

Don't forget the 2010 GS is only a dry sump if you order a stick tranny.

Corvette(s)

Default Great - Do you have a delivery date yet?

Quote Originally Posted by romeo90626 View Post
    Getting a 2010 6-sp Grand Sport vert.
    The 2010 Grand Sport Roadsters are Sweet Looking Vette's!

Later . . . . . .
    6 Shooter

Corvette(s)
    2005 victory red vert

The 2010 Grand Sport Roadsters are Sweet Looking Vette's!

Later . . . . . .
    6 Shooter
    I have only made the arrangements with dealer I bought my last one from. They cannot order yet. I ordered the last one as soon as it hit their order site. They will not have prices when the order is put in. Saw several GSs in person at the Bash last month. They are great and Torch Red is back!
    romeo
    PS how did you know I had an '05?

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by romeo90626 View Post
    ...how did you know I had an '05?

L8TR - D

Corvette(s)
    2005 victory red vert

L8TR - D
    neat

Corvette(s)
    2005 victory red vert

[QUOTE=NORTY;963416]If you go with an LS7, you will want to change the rockers as the OEM rockers have had issues. Don't use Harland Sharp as a replacement either as they don't stand behind their product. Have any recommendations??

If you are thinking of forced induction on the LS7, you might want to look at how much material is between the cylinders. (I'd go low pressure at best.)You are clearly psyscic. LOL I plan to have the APS kit installed with alcohol injection. I have seen Eddie Trailer's Z06 and I really like it!!! You are right pressures should be kept low. I'm running 7psi on the LS2 with no problems so was thinking that'd be an upper bound. Do you think too high?? My target is 700-750 bhp with the stock LS7 using as my daily driver.

The Z06 engine placement is lower and more rearward than the standard Corvette. This is for weight balance. Will the LS7 bolt in where the LS3 was removed?

If your main goal is "dry sump", then you will want to use the 10.5qt system on the 2009 (and later) Z06/ZR1. Sustained left turns with high lateral G's have produced some oil starvation problems (with the 8qt system) that surface in the "big ends" of the conrods. I can post pics if you want of such a situation that occurred @ Auto Club Speedway in California last November.
    From what I understand, this is not an isolated case. There are threads regarding "oil starvation" with Z06s on the *other site.*I hear that the 2010 LS9 and LS7 oil reservoirs are 10.5 qts. Do you think that's a direct result of that starvation problem you allude to? My new car is my daily driver. In SW FL where I live most of the year, one very often runs up against Ferraris, twin turbo porches, GT500s, etc. I do really enjoy the feeling when my '05 Plastic Chevrolet" cleans their clocks, however they are starting to catch up. I figure that my new GS with 700-750 hp will keep me in ecstasy.. If you have any other ideas, I'd be glad to entertain them. thanx for your reply. romeo