Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2006 Machine Silver/Ebony Coupe

Default Raising Ride Height of 2006 Coupe

My used 06 Coupe (3-week old first Vette) sits with only a 3.5" ground clearance at the end pieces of the front spoiler. This is too low for the places that I go (car is a daily driver) and don't want to keep worrying about causing damage to either the spoiler or bottom of front bumper everytime I have to go over humps, dips or steep driveways. How much higher can this clearance be raised using the built-in adjustment mechanism?

Corvette(s)

Default Raising Ride Height for 2006 Coupe

My used 06 Coupe (3-week old first Vette) sits with only a 3.5" ground clearance at the end pieces of the front spoiler. This is too low for the places that I go (car is a daily driver) and don't want to keep worrying about causing damage to either the spoiler or bottom of front bumper everytime I have to go over humps, dips or steep driveways. How much higher can this clearance be raised using the built-in adjustment mechanism?

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

You can raise the car slightly using the spring screws.

See the FSM for adjusting trim height. Follow the procedure listed or you can damage the spring end. In most cases you need to realign the front and rear suspensions after raising ride height.

Also, the front air dam is sacrificial. It's just a piece of plastic. After a couple years you can just replace it.

As for the front facisa itself, you cannot raise the car enough to prevent the possbility of any damage in normal driving. You have to use some care in entering driveways that have steep approach angles.

It is unusual to raise a Corvette up for that purpose it also degrades the car handing.

Corvette(s)

Is the 3.5" ground clearance factory spec? Am wondering if previous owner had it lowered. Bought from a dealer so no info on prior work other than vehicle warranty claim history.

Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Coupe

Default TTT

Hello neighbor. Welcome to CAC. I never heard of anyone wanting to elevate their vette, but driving on some of the same roads as you.....I certainly understand. Good luck with your inquiry.

Dennis

Corvette(s)
    bright red 1984 crossfire

Quote Originally Posted by calaher View Post

that is what kept my father from buying a vette for years.. the rod he lives on was a roller coaster ride and any time a car wih low ground clearance would come down you could hear the front end hitting the ground on each hump. the town finally got around to fixing the road a couple years ago... but around here we have the same problems... there are only 2 gas stations that are vette friendly to get in and out of without dragging the front end, cant take it to our favorite local resturaunt and the way they build bridges in this state there are only a couple you dont scrape on when you cross them. i saw a c3 once that had to have been raised up and as much as it must have been a little better on the under carriage... i didnt like the way it looked at all

Corvette(s)
    jewel blue 61.cranberry 69 t-top.black rose 92

how many miles on the vette ? check the springs for cracking to make sure the are not failing and drooping have seen this quite a bit on c5 vettes Steve

Corvette(s)
    '07 Monterey Red/Cashmere Vert

I scrape my front air dam everytime I back out of my driveway. There's no way around it. Yes, it annoys the heck outta me, but as Hib stated, it's a replacable piece of plastic. I'll sacrifice the plastic over handling anyday. If the roads are that bad, just remove the airdam.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the center section of the air dam has springs mounted on it so it won't get torn off during normal driving.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

If you want to find out if the car has been lowered, you need to measure the car's trim height as explained in the factory service manual. Typically, GM will give a range and if your measurements are inside that range, you're ok.

Corvette(s)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to leave as-is and just be more careful with steep inclines and road humps.

Quote Originally Posted by calaher View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to leave as-is and just be more careful with steep inclines and road humps.

Smart move.

Best of luck with your new toy!

JB

Corvette(s)
    2001 Convertible

Always pull into a drive of speed bumps at an angle and you will be good. Works for me.