Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2006 Convertible

Default GF Performance Chip

Good morning corvette friends!

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone could answer for me.
    1. Has anyone used the GF Performance chip and if so what was your experience?
    2. Has anyone used the Varam cold air intake? I have considered both as an alternative to putting a supercharger on. I know the supercharger has alot more upside, but I am just looking for a little more.

You also should google the Beartooth Highway in Wy and Mt as it has to be one of the top cruising highways in North America. I take my 06 vert up there at least twice a summer. It typically doesn't open until after Memorial Day due to deep snow. It has massive snow drifts on the edge of the road high mountain peaks and frozen over lakes usually until mid July. The highway is a vette lovers drive with many switchback and curves that you can truly appreciate the great handling of these cars. The scenery is unmatched in my opinion.

Thank you for your answers and have a great weekend. Looking forward to spring!!!!!

Bill

Corvette(s)
    Stingray

Your C6 doesn't have, or use a "chip," per se. It does have a sophisticated computer that monitors and controls many key drivability functions. Performance changes to the tuning of the LS2 are made by programming. The add-on "hardware" offered on eBay and other sources are......questionable, to be generous. Handheld reprogrammed are good or bad depending on who you talk to.

The intakes all work to various degrees. A largely unmodified LS will make some modest gain from almost any intake. I'd recommend one of the basic intakes like K&N or AiRaid. Those that provide a lot of air, like bottom breathers really need a sophisticated tune to take advantage of all the air they get.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    2006 Convertible

Default Performance Chip

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Your C6 doesn't have, or use a "chip," per se. It does have a sophisticated computer that monitors and controls many key drivability functions. Performance changes to the tuning of the LS2 are made by programming. The add-on "hardware" offered on eBay and other sources are......questionable, to be generous. Handheld reprogrammed are good or bad depending on who you talk to.

The intakes all work to various degrees. A largely unmodified LS will make some modest gain from almost any intake. I'd recommend one of the basic intakes like K&N or AiRaid. Those that provide a lot of air, like bottom breathers really need a sophisticated tune to take advantage of all the air they get.
    Cabert,

Thank you for your advice and opinion. I appreciated it. It is the old addage, if you want to play you have to pay.

Bill

Gillette, Wy.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

The GF Chip is not really a "chip" in the way most people think. It's a way overpriced module that connects to the engine's coolant temperature sensor and tries to fool the engine computer by send it false ECT data. With some stock calibrations, that may advance the timing slightly. Sometimes, the advanced spark increased performance a small amount.

It is unlikely it would have a measure affect on the performance of your Corvette.

The Vara Ram may increase performance slightly at higher speeds where the ram air effect might come into play.

A supercharger would significantly improve your car's performance.

Corvette(s)
    2013 Grand Sport Coupe

Default horsepower claims

If you add up inflated horsepower claims for some mods in a MidAmerica or Eckler's catalog, you'd think you can add almost 100 hp by buying all these things. I often womdered if there was so much horsepower "hidden" in these engines, why wouldn't Chevy use some of them? I feel most are bogus claims, even the air cleaners. If the OEM air filter is clean, why would these aftermarket ones flow more? Other than the "advantage" of being able to clean them so they last forever, I have a hard time justifying the extra costs. Bottom line - be careful what you do and don't believe most of these horsepower claims. A couple of extra horsepower is often not worth the check engine light coming on sometimes or other drivability problems that could arise.