Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information!
Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12

Most of my interview with Lee was for the V-Net. It's going to post a product review story about the non-RFT version of Pilot Sport AS3+ for use on ATS-Vs which are driven in wet, cold wet or light snow conditions.

After we discussed the PS AS3+ for ATS-V, we did get into Corvette tires. Currently the AS3+ is not made in a ZP (run flat tire) version and he cautioned against using non-RFT on C6s or C7s which are driven aggressively. He also said that the AS3+ will wear faster when driven in seasons where the average daily temperature is 75F or more.

If I were you, I'd stick with the Pilot Super Sport. If you're getting 20,000 miles out of them before they get "testy" (not sure what that means) in the rain, I would not complain.

That said, if Michelin did have a ZP version of the AS3+ (and Willard did say such a product might be considered) it would have about 1-mm more tread depth and 7000-8000 more miles of tread life. The downside would be you'd give up 0.08-0.1g lateral acceleration and, if you ran them in the summer, you'd loose some of the increased tread life.

When I'm close to my homebase my tire choice is the Pilot Sport Cup 2. On longer road trips out of state into places where bad weather is expected, I put on the PSS.

For the '14 Caravan I had Pilot Sport 2s on the car and once we got back to California, I sold them on Craig's List and put Cup tires back on.
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 08-30-17 at 10:08 AM.

Blue Bullet Blog-The C6 Ownership Experience Tuna's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)

Thanks Hib,
    My PS2s lasted 26,000. I switched to SuperSports and that 427 now has 46,000. By testy, I mean that they hydroplane more quickly than when they were new. Of course, they only have 3-4 mm tread left. Since I don't drive it much in the winter, I'll probably be looking at new SS's come spring.
    Tuna
    Author of
    Crossbow Revenge & Alice Was Not Her Name
    Murder Mysteries

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Thanks Hib,
    My PS2s lasted 26,000. I switched to SuperSports and that 427 now has 46,000. By testy, I mean that they hydroplane more quickly than when they were new. Of course, they only have 3-4 mm tread left. Since I don't drive it much in the winter, I'll probably be looking at new SS's come spring.
    3-4-mm tread?
    Yep. They'll hydroplane.
    Slow down ya old coot.

Hey...the new Captain out here is going to do Cape G, again, on the last night of our trip. Are you doing anything with the '19 trip?

Blue Bullet Blog-The C6 Ownership Experience Tuna's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Hey...the new Captain out here is going to do Cape G, again, on the last night of our trip. Are you doing anything with the '19 trip?
    That's great. Cape G really treated us well in 2014 and I'm glad to see that you new Captain is returning. In fact, I'm wearing my Cape G 2014 Caravan t-shirt right now in BG.
    As for '19, we're going to participate but that's all - I hope. Ask me again this time next year as no one has stepped up to be Oklahoma Captain yet.
    Tuna
    Author of
    Crossbow Revenge & Alice Was Not Her Name
    Murder Mysteries

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12

You remember Tony Megowan, my XO from '14? He's the new Captain out here, but...he "convinced" me to return to the Organizing Team as his "XO". In July, we preran the first two days of the new route. Next month, he and I are going to prerun six of the seven days...he added one day to the trip for '19 and completely changed the route up to Cape G.

Also, as the Museum gave us Hawaii, with all or part of four states we had to change the name from Southern California/Southern Nevada/Southwestern Utah/Hawaii to the Southwest section.

If you end up being involved, it would be fun to have our group and the Oklahoma group meet in Cape G.

By email I'll send you are eNews issues to date.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122