Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    RubyZR1

Default Worlds First Right Hand Drive 2009 Corvette ZR1

....here downunder in Melbourne, Australia.
    Engineered by Peter & Kane Whiston at Corvette Clinic in Bundoora, Victoria.
    Soon to be followed by a 2009 Victory Red ZR1 and my 2009 Cyber Gray ZR1.
    We hope you enjoy the pics...

Here's a link to Corvette Clinic's website: RHD Corvette Conversion | Corvette Clinic Australia

Corvette(s)
    1969 dark red convert

I got to see my first ZR1 up close and personal... Awesome car, the owner paid 4k over the sticker price.

Corvette(s)
    2006 'Evil Stealth Black' Roadster

Nice engineering work to convert that ZR1, Ruby.

But I've got to tell you, learning to shift with my left hand would be a little unsettling for me. I'd be like learning to ride a bike by pedalling in reverse. Shifting with my right hand is too much like rote memory for me now.

RubyZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Nice engineering work to convert that ZR1, Ruby.

But I've got to tell you, learning to shift with my left hand would be a little unsettling for me. I'd be like learning to ride a bike by pedalling in reverse. Shifting with my right hand is too much like rote memory for me now.
    Thankyou for your comments Patrick.
    Shifting with your left hand is natural for us downunder. It's all we've ever known.
    Driving a left hand drive car on our roads is a little unsettling until you get use to it. There is a natural desire to "keep right" off of the left hand shoulder of the road, which means you have to watch that you don't accidentally crossover the white line in the centre of the road.

Corvette(s)
    1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option

We have a member who had taken a late C4 over to Australia, and he too had the Vette converted to right-hand drive.

I got to tell you, I am very impresssed with the quality of the conversions you guys get over there. Do the conversion shops have connections with GM? What I mean is -how do they get those left-hand pieces of interior to look and fit so well?

GerryLP

I guess ya'll down-under are coming up on your spring, right? Please send us some website links for beach images or videos...

GerryLP

Corvette(s)
    2004 Millenium Yellow

Really Nice ! Who says money can't buy happiness. Thanks for the Great pic's.>George

Corvette(s)
    1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race

Hi all, Shifting with my right hand is not natural nor is driving on the left,or changing gear on a motor cycle with the left foot or having the REAR brake on bicycle on the right. More people in the world drive on the left hand side of the road and travel clockwise but here I am. I did have an old Riley Pathfinder in the UK that had a right hand shift but that's another story. That really is a great quality conversion ! Roger.

Corvette(s)
    07 A6 Coupe

It's like looking in a mirror!

Corvette(s)
    2006 Z06 LMB- 1989-383 Red Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyZR1 View Post
    ....here downunder in Melbourne, Australia.
    Engineered by Peter & Kane Whiston at Corvette Clinic in Bundoora, Victoria.
    Soon to be followed by a 2009 Victory Red ZR1 and my 2009 Cyber Gray ZR1.
    We hope you enjoy the pics...

Here's a link to Corvette Clinic's website: RHD Corvette Conversion | Corvette Clinic Australia

RubyZR1,
    Thats great work guys, very rare to have a ZR-1 down there.
    Don't mind me ask what the ZR1 cost you in total ? To get it over there, & convert to RHD ?
    There was a guy in sydney who got a 2006-Z06 over there, totall cost with RHD conversion is 180k aud
    I know the import tax are high in australia, & the conversion kit is around 40k. But the ZR1 would be more.
    cheers

RubyZR1

Quote Originally Posted by vettecellent View Post
    RubyZR1,
    Thats great work guys, very rare to have a ZR-1 down there.
    Don't mind me ask what the ZR1 cost you in total ? To get it over there, & convert to RHD ?
    There was a guy in sydney who got a 2006-Z06 over there, totall cost with RHD conversion is 180k aud
    I know the import tax are high in australia, & the conversion kit is around 40k. But the ZR1 would be more.
    cheers
    Mine will be around $335,000AUS by the time it's registered to drive home.
    RHD=$55KAUS.
    All-up price depends on the AUS/US exchange rate.With our aussie$ buying $0.85US, the all up price now will be a little less than what I paid.

Corvette(s)
    2006 Z06 LMB- 1989-383 Red Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyZR1 View Post
    Mine will be around $335,000AUS by the time it's registered to drive home.
    RHD=$55KAUS.
    All-up price depends on the AUS/US exchange rate.With our aussie$ buying $0.85US, the all up price now will be a little less than what I paid.
    Bloody hell
    In the end, its all worth it, you gotta fine rare machine there mate !
    cheers,