Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

View Poll Results: What tire are you running?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

42 20.90%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar

40 19.90%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

19 9.45%
  • Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval

24 11.94%
  • BF Goodrich gForce KDW-2

7 3.48%
  • Pirelli PZero Rosso

1 0.50%
  • Yokohama ADVAN Sport

1 0.50%
  • Kumho Ecsta MX

16 7.96%
  • Nitto 555RII

8 3.98%
  • Other Tire

40 19.90%
  • Other Racing Tire

3 1.49%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What tires are you running and why?

Corvette(s)
    2002 Black Z06

Default What tires are you running and why?

Hey guys. I bought my 02 Z06 last November and am now looking for tires. This car has about 430 rwhp, so I'm thinking of running 275s in the front and 315/30/18s in the rear (on stock rims), to manage the extra power. My biggest concerns are tread life and cornering ability (for the canyons).

What tire do you think provides the best balance of treadwear, handling, and cost? Does anybody know if the larger tires will have any adverse effects on cornering? I'm willing to spend up to around 1,300, but I would prefer to spend less.

Also, has anybody tried the Firehawk Wide Ovals? Their super low price makes them so temping...

Thanks a lot!

Corvette(s)
    2004 Arctic White Coupe

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Based on the recommendation of my tire dealer.

s'noJob

Corvette(s)
    2003 Torch Red Z06

I've got the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals on mine. The tires came with the car, so I can't offer a comparison comments, but I have no complaints about them either.

I run BFG's Comp T/A KDW's on all my cars, my Z has the KDW2's on it. I find that they are better on wet surfaces, they give better ride, grip better on corners and they are quieter. Of course this all my opinion. I drove the Z to California and back a couple years ago and loved it.
    04 Z06 M/S w/ Mod Red
    98 Coupe auto Nassau Blue
    87 Coupe auto Sil Beige/Med Brn

TAC
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Yellow Callaway TT Convertible & 2003 MY Z06

Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtorque View Post
    Hey guys. I bought my 02 Z06 last November and am now looking for tires. This car has about 430 rwhp, so I'm thinking of running 275s in the front and 315/30/18s in the rear (on stock rims), to manage the extra power. My biggest concerns are tread life and cornering ability (for the canyons).

What tire do you think provides the best balance of treadwear, handling, and cost? Does anybody know if the larger tires will have any adverse effects on cornering? I'm willing to spend up to around 1,300, but I would prefer to spend less.

Also, has anybody tried the Firehawk Wide Ovals? They're super low price makes them so temping...

Thanks a lot!
    I run Wide Ovals for everyday driving and road trips. I swith to GY SCs for autocross and track events. The Wide Ovals are much better in rain (and rare snow) and are quieter but definitely don't stick as well as the SCs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Wide Ovals again but if you truly want to compete, you need a stickier tire. I run stock sizes.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z06,66 coupe,99 Porsche Carrera

I installed Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. They ride alot quieter and smoother in my opinion than the OEM Good Year's. I upgraded my wheels to 18" and 19" running 275/35x18 front and 305/30x19 rear. No problems with clearance and I lowered mine using the stock bolts. Corners like a slot car.

Corvette(s)
    '01 TR M6, '07 MS A6

I run the Kumho MX tires because a friend was selling his z06 repros with almost new Kumhos for $600. My Gy GS-D3s were all worn out and would have cost over $1200 to replace.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I've got the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals on mine. The tires came with the car, so I can't offer a comparison comments, but I have no complaints about them either.
    Thats what I run on my Z06,I run Kumho ASX all-seasons on my 03 Z-51!! I have no complaints on either,They beat the Heck out of the stock Goodyear!! I have over 34,000 miles on the Kumho's on the 03 and it don't Rumble,Rides Smooth,Don't Hydroplane and I can hear the Stereo!!!
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible

Default BF Goodrich g/Force KDW-2's

Hey guys,

I'm not a Z06 owner but mine is pretty fast just the same. I went with the KDW-2's for a variety of reasons. They're quieter than the Goodyears, they stick like crazy, they work very well in wet conditions, many sizes to choose from and they're priced right. I've got about 6k on them now and they're terrific.
    Remo

2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Vert. 6 Spd, PFADT Coilovers & Sways, Kooks
    LT Headers, high flow cats, X-pipe, Borla Stingers - 469 RWHP, 455 RWTQ.

Corvette(s)
    2002 Black Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Remo View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm not a Z06 owner but mine is pretty fast just the same. I went with the KDW-2's for a variety of reasons. They're quieter than the Goodyears, they stick like crazy, they work very well in wet conditions, many sizes to choose from and they're priced right. I've got about 6k on them now and they're terrific.
    Remo

Hey how wide are your rims and what size are the tires? With 450 to the wheels, I'm guessing you've got significantly wider rims and tires...

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtorque View Post
    Hey how wide are your rims and what size are the tires? With 450 to the wheels, I'm guessing you've got significantly wider rims and tires...
    Front wheels are 18x9.5 and rears are 18x10.5. Tires are 265/40 front and 285/40 rear.

Remo

Corvette(s)
    Callaway SC Z06 Z16, Vintage 64 roade racer, and ?

Default Largest rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Remo View Post
    Front wheels are 18x9.5 and rears are 18x10.5. Tires are 265/40 front and 285/40 rear.

Remo

Whats the largest tires I can put on my 04 Z06 ?? Looking for a a little more height and definetly width !!!. Currently running an old set of Firestones that need to be replaced !!

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by offshore241 View Post
    Whats the largest tires I can put on my 04 Z06 ?? Looking for a a little more height and definetly width !!!. Currently running an old set of Firestones that need to be replaced !!
    offshore241,

I'm not an authority on this subject, but I know that many C5 guys run 305's on 10.5" wide rims. Once you get wider than that you have to be careful about rubbing issues on the inside. But as I say there's lot's of guys running 305/35/18's without problems.

Remo

Corvette(s)
    2008 vert 6M silver

I changed and went with Michelin Pilots.Way ahead of OME

Corvette(s)
    2002 Black Z06

Wow Remo, and you have no traction problems in first or even second gear with stock size tires?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast