Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2001 Pewter coupe

Default Charging system fault

Hello out there in C5 land,
    This morning when starting my '01 coupe, I got a "charging system fault" message on my DIC. I was running late for work and didn't have time to review the codes. I did notice however that the volt reading after the car started was in the 14.4-14.6 range. Is this within normal limits? It seems kind of high. Also, does anyone know what the volts should read with the key on before and just after start? I'm trying to determine weather it is my battery (it's the original Delco AGM) or if it is something else. I'm tempted just to buy a new battery (I'm leaning towards the new Die Hard Platinum AGM) since the battery is the original.

Thanks for any advice,
    Dave

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue Z06

I have had that warning upon occasion. I do not worry about it, as it will make itself apparent if it is a real problem. It might happen to me in 1 start out of 100.
    Save the Wave!

Corvette(s)
    2001 Coupe QuickSilver A4

I've had that problem a few times, each time I tighten the nuts on the battery and it quits for months. Then they loosen up again and I get the message again. Might check all your grounds too...
    Save the wave...
    Doc

Corvette(s)
    2004 Z06 Millennium Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by DRTH VTR View Post
    I have had that warning upon occasion. I do not worry about it, as it will make itself apparent if it is a real problem. It might happen to me in 1 start out of 100.
    I agree, I've had this happen to me occasionally too. It comes on for a second and disappears, no I'll affects so don't worry.

Royal Purple Synchromax
    Royal Purple Max-Gear, AMSOIL 5W40 Synthetic, K&N 1007, CAGS Eliminator
    Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed for the same reason
    Bob