Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C5 Oil

Corvette(s)
    1999 Torch Red Coupe

Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Valvoline....all to close to call a winner. As long as its synthetic oil.

Corvette(s)
    LT4 - Cam, exhaust,intake / '03 Z06 - stock

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Melton
    =====================================================

Hope this helps

An article I just read humbly suggested that interested parties get the August issue of Sport Rider magazine (which has a detailed definition and explanation of the additives and compounds used in various motor oils), and the October issue on newsstands now (where chemical analysis of various brand oils was performed, along with various lab tests, plus a dyno test of dino vs. racing synthetic).

Enjoy your ride,
    Gary

PS.
    Interesting web site on the subject... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.html
    Gary, I read the same article. Since I have a dry clutch in my K1200RS, I am going with straight automotive Mobil I in my bike, also. Anyone in the aviation industry knows that an AD (airworthiness directive) came out on some lycoming IO360 engines that requires the use of an additive to prevent premature wear on the camshaft. I think the Shell oil has an oil with the additive already mixed in for those owners. The point being that oil stock and additives can and DO make a difference. Mobil 1 has never been reported to be problem (AFIK), is recommended by the factory, and is easily accesible for me. Mobil 1 is in everything I own. If there is something else comparable, I don't really care.
    red lt4 w/corsas, hot cam, headers, hi flow cats, 52mm TB 343 HP/334.5 torque. '03 Z06 - Honker intake, 359 HP/ 347 torque

Corvette(s)
    2000 Navy targa

Default Castrol, BMW, vs. Mobil 1

The wife has a BMW 325XI. The first time I got an oil filter cartridge in early 2004, (yeah, just the guts- no outer case!) The counter man at the BMW parts dept. offered to sell me the BMW full synthetic 5W30. I hesitated and asked how much are you getting for a qt.? He said $3.80 and said that it was made by Castrol. If you look under the hood of my wife's 2003 Bimmer, the oil filler cap says "BMW recommends Castrol" right on it.

I have had good luck with both Mobil 1 and Castrol with several different cars I've owned. I'd say I got slightly better mileage with Castrol over the long run. I calculate mileage at every fillup. I average 21 mpg. on my first generation LS1.

If you change your oil like I do at about 4000 mile intervals, the savings do add up, and both are premium products. The BMW oil is now $4.00/qt. while at Autozone, and Advance A P the Mobil 1 is like $5.60. At really 7 qt. an oil change, you save about $11.20 a change or $33.60/yr. if you drive 12,000 miles a year. That $ can go towards the never ending MODs budget, thanks to Eckeler's, Corvette Central, Mid America, etc.

Just a cheap old Yankee's opinion
    Bluemill

Dr C5 Corvette

Hi ,Please consider Amsoil 10w/30w synthetic go to there web site
    www.amsoil.com and read there research on mobil 1 oil I think you will like it. They were the first in synthetic oils eliminates the sewing machine sound (lifter noise on start up) due to the oils adhesion properties. I have been using it in my oil cooled V Twin Motorcycle for 5 years it runs cooler and quieter as well a little better gas milage too ....Dr C5

avacorvette

Quote Originally Posted by Dr C5 Corvette
    Hi ,Please consider Amsoil 10w/30w synthetic go to there web site
    www.amsoil.com and read there research on mobil 1 oil I think you will like it. They were the first in synthetic oils eliminates the sewing machine sound (lifter noise on start up) due to the oils adhesion properties. I have been using it in my oil cooled V Twin Motorcycle for 5 years it runs cooler and quieter as well a little better gas milage too ....Dr C5

About 4 years ago there was a law suit lost by Mobil1. They sued because other synthetic oils were saying that they were fully synthetic when in fact they were not and used up to 50% fossil oil. Mobil1 is 100% synthetic the others are not. The only one I do not know about is Royal Purple. I'm sticken with Mobil1..just my $.02...

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06, 50th anniv, Millenium Yellow

Yo-Ho Yo-Ho it's Mobile-1 for me.

Craig
    It is so great having a fast car; and even greater when you don't have to prove it.

Wave me BABY!

MODS: Halltech cold-air intake, shortie antenna, 2004 Z06 shocks, Ecklers Z06 embroidered trunk partition, CAGS defeat, 50th exhaust plate, Lowered via factory adjust per Z06 video, special "West End" alignment for even more responsive handling, Custom Predator tune from John Mangs at Diablo Sport, MGW pistol grip shift knob, MGW emergency brake handle, two-tone (Bla/Yel) shift boot, e-brake boot and console cover, Aluminum gauge bezels, Brembo zinc plated drilled and slotted rotors, Delco ceramic brake pads.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ceborden

Gary Melton

Default This may help in the OIL discussion...

Finally, something we can all look at to compare our synthetic oil concerns with. The site is http://www.amsoil.com/ and my two month search has just been confirmed about many specific brands... thank you Dr. C5.

For those of us who prefer not to take the time to do the research, you have good reason to be content with Mobil 1 and I feel better about the Chev/Mobil Politics. But for me, I will take the final step and go with the oil that performed the best in every test.

Thanks again Dr C5,
    Gary

Dr C5 Corvette

My Pleasure, Facts, just the facts Sir!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12