Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gmjunkie

Thread: Need info on how to perform a manual shifter alignment

Corvette(s)
    2k triple black conv. 6sp. man trans. c6 wheels

Default Need info on how to perform a manual shifter alignment

on my 2000 c5 6spd. I'm having a slight problem with shifting, i first noticed it when shifting into reverse it would slip out sometime when i release the clutch but if i hold it in reverse start to backup then release the shifter it would stay in reverse and backup just fine. I have no problems with the transmission slipping or anything like that it just shifts like it needs adjusting some how. while shifting from 1st to 2nd it feels rough not smooth at all but again that's the only thing wrong, please help...I can make the adjustment myself if i had the info on how to perfrom this shifter alignment so if someone can give me the detailed info on how to perform this it would be greatly appreciated...I have only 65k miles on my 2000 c5 convertible and it is in exceptional condition inside and out excluding the shifting issue...Thanks in advance for your info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Vette1.jpg  

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Shift Linkage Adjustment 6 sp C5

Apply the parking brake.
    Remove the shift control closeout boot.
    Place the shifter into NEUTRAL.
    Press down to engage the shift control neutral lock pin.

Loosen the transmission shift rod clamp bolt.
    Loosen the shift control mounting bolts.

Check that the shift control locator (on the underside of the shift control) is installed into the shifter bracket on the side of the driveline support assembly.

Tighten the shift control mounting bolts.
    Tighten the shift control mounting bolts to 30 Nm (22 lb ft).
    Tighten the transmission shift rod clamp bolt.
    Tighten the transmission shift rod clamp bolt to 30 Nm (22 lb ft).

Lift to release the shift control neutral lock pin.
    Install the shift control closeout boot.
    Release the parking brake.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Neutral lock pin. 1.gif   C5 Shifter.gif  
    YESNDEED49 likes this.
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)

Thanks for the info, i'm going to try it tomorrow when i get home from work and i'll let you know the out come, again thanks !

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YESNDEED49 View Post
    Thanks for the info, i'm going to try it tomorrow when i get home from work and i'll let you know the out come, again thanks !
    I did the shifter alignment and it made the shift smoother but it still slips out of reverse also i notice that when I puI it in reverse i can ease off the clutch alittle and it will go into reverse and not come out. Another thing is when i come out of and gear and release the clutch then engage the clutch and try to put it in reverse it will grind alittle and some time it will go into reverse with no grind but not go fully, this is when it will slip out, then all I have to do is engage the clutch and puti it in anothere gear and them put it in reverse and it will go just fine and stay without slipping out...so now what should I do?

Corvette(s)
    Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16

It seems to me you are not fully engaging reverse. If you have done the adjustment correctly, the next thing I would try is new fluid in the tranny. Has it ever been changed? I recommend Redline d4atf. Last thing would be change out the whole shifter for a c6 shifter.

Getting the tranny fully into reverse is a bit of a trick. I like to go to 3rd & release the clutch just enough to roll maybe 1/2 inch then straight to reverse. Works EVERY time & no need to JAM it into reverse.

2004 Z06/Z16 stock
    Black/gray 1996 LT4 Coupe (sold)

2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Life's too short for boring cars!

Link to my DIY videos http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.

I did the shifter alignment and it made the shift smoother but it still slips out of reverse also i notice that when I puI it in reverse i can ease off the clutch alittle and it will go into reverse and not come out. Another thing is when i come out of and gear and release the clutch then engage the clutch and try to put it in reverse it will grind alittle and some time it will go into reverse with no grind but not go fully, this is when it will slip out, then all I have to do is engage the clutch and puti it in anothere gear and them put it in reverse and it will go just fine and stay without slipping out...so now what should I do?

Some of your problem is normal, but the other parts sounds like possibly worn transmission synchro's.

Like froggy stated, give Redline D4ATF a try first and at the same time try going to a forward gear and rolling first before engaging reverse as this procedure works very well and is a lot cheaper than getting into the transmission. I leave my car parked in first gear and have just gotten into the habit of rolling forward a little before engaging reverse, just comes natural now as I don't even have to think about doing it. Good luck with it.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Some of your problem is normal, but the other parts sounds like possibly worn transmission synchro's.

Like froggy stated, give Redline D4ATF a try first and at the same time try going to a forward gear and rolling first before engaging reverse as this procedure works very well and is a lot cheaper than getting into the transmission. I leave my car parked in first gear and have just gotten into the habit of rolling forward a little before engaging reverse, just comes natural now as I don't even have to think about doing it. Good luck with it.
    Thanks guys for the info, I'm going to change the transmission fluid with what you recommended and I'll let you know what that does for me, again thanks

Corvette(s)

Thanks guys for the info, I'm going to change the transmission fluid with what you recommended and I'll let you know what that does for me, again thanks
    I changed the transmission fluid yesterday and it seems smoother in shifting but It still slips out of reverse....I did put it into a foward gear and rolled forward alittle and then put it in reverse and it works fine, it stays into reverse I can ease off the clutch or release it alittle quicker and it stays in reverse no problem...so I guess it's not fully engaging reverse by going from neutral to reverse but will do so by going into a forward gear and then going into reverse...well I don't have any problems with shifting into any other gears and it shifts fine while going into all forward gears 1-6....I may even try the c6 shifter and I'm going to change my clutch fluid also....Thanks for the info guys....

Corvette(s)

Good,

Just make sure it's all they way in reverse every time. If I feel it did not go all they way, I just repeat the roll fwd drill.

I'm sure it's not good for the tran gears to POP OUT of any gear.

2004 Z06/Z16 stock

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.

I changed the transmission fluid yesterday and it seems smoother in shifting but It still slips out of reverse....I did put it into a foward gear and rolled forward alittle and then put it in reverse and it works fine, it stays into reverse I can ease off the clutch or release it alittle quicker and it stays in reverse no problem...so I guess it's not fully engaging reverse by going from neutral to reverse but will do so by going into a forward gear and then going into reverse...well I don't have any problems with shifting into any other gears and it shifts fine while going into all forward gears 1-6....I may even try the c6 shifter and I'm going to change my clutch fluid also....Thanks for the info guys....

The C6 shifter won't help your issue, so don't replace it for that reason. The only difference between the C5 and C6 shifters is the handle bend and the knob attachment. Let me know if you have any questions about them, I have had many apart.
    Master Technician

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    The C6 shifter won't help your issue, so don't replace it for that reason. The only difference between the C5 and C6 shifters is the handle bend and the knob attachment. Let me know if you have any questions about them, I have had many apart.

I was just thinking if he had bent something in the original c5 shifter, might as well go with a c6 shifter as so many people seem to think it's a great upgrade & the price is similar. Personally I like my c5 shifter. I would guess there is "some" normal wear on a syncro & probably not enough to take the tranny apart. It can be "managed" with good tranny fluid & the little "select another gear first" trick.

Sometimes, like today, when my tranny oil is a little warmed up I will try just going right into reverse & it falls right in. Mine has never popped out of any gear. It's a solid piece.

I bet even a Bugatti Veyron has it's quirks.

2004 Z06/Z16 stock

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.

Quote Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post

I was just thinking if he had bent something in the original c5 shifter, might as well go with a c6 shifter as so many people seem to think it's a great upgrade & the price is similar. Personally I like my c5 shifter. I would guess there is "some" normal wear on a syncro & probably not enough to take the tranny apart. It can be "managed" with good tranny fluid & the little "select another gear first" trick.

Sometimes, like today, when my tranny oil is a little warmed up I will try just going right into reverse & it falls right in. Mine has never popped out of any gear. It's a solid piece.

I bet even a Bugatti Veyron has it's quirks.

That's true, good point. I wasn't considering the fact that he could have damaged parts in the OEM shifter as i have never seen it yet, but it could indeed happen, and a lot of people do like the shape and knob of the C6 shifter.
    Master Technician

Corvette(s)
    02 ZO6

The OEM shifter is fairly simple and does not have much to wear out. On the other hand,, the rubber bushings that isolate the shifter from the torque tube get soft and deteriorate. They can have a detrimental effect on shift quality.

The bushings are not sold separately BUT,, aftermarket sources are starting to come to market..

The C5 ZO6 shifter came with solid aluminum bushings. The Coupe and vert had rubber bushings.

ZO6 Shifter with metal bushings:

Stock vs Kirban Shifter:

Stock Knob with demond key:

ZERO KEY: