Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2001 6 Speed Convertible

Default Tranction System Activates after Brake Job

Hello Corvette Action Center,

This is my first post. On 11-11-2011 I replaced Front and Rear Disc Pads and Turned all 4 Rotors an my 2001 6 Speed Convertible Corvette. I used AC Delco Dura Stop Pads. Front GM Part # 88909667 Rear # 88909668. While Test Driving after the Repair, Traction System Activates under any slight acceleration causing loss of power and braking. This happens in all gears except first gear.My Vette has just over 74,000 Miles on it and I have owned the car for 4 years. I have never had this issue before the Brake Job. I have run codes and get nothing. I took the car to Sunset Chevrolet in Sarasota Florida. They had the car for 4 days and could not get any codes either. This is extremely frustrating. I talking with some of my car buddies, I get a variety of opinions. Some say a " Ground Issue" others say " Gravity Bleed" the Brake System,others say look at "Wheel Speed Sensor Connectors" or " Steering Wheel Sensor" . The Dealer said the only remedy was to start replacing parts or wait until it throws a code. I have driven the car approximately 100 miles and still no codes. The car is unsafe to drive unless in Competetive Driving Mode. Any ideas or suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks much,
    Tim

Yesterday, I Road Tested the car with a friend who is a Transmission Tech. We noticed a lot of pull when braking. Sometimes it pulls left other times right. Traction System still Activates on Acceleration cusing Braking and Power Loss. The Tranny Tech suggest I have Caliper Problems. He says one or both Calipers are sticking which can cause a Wheel Speed Issue thus causing the Wheel Speed Sensors to Activate the Traction Control. This seems to make sense to me in light of ther fact I had no problems before the Brake Job. Before I go and spend $600.00 plus labor for new Calipers and Brake Lines I would appreciate some advise or agreement on this.

Thanks Much,
    Tim

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

I'd be checking the rear wheel speed sensors and their connectors. I suggest that because you said in the OP that the system functions normally when it's in competitive driving mode.

Since you did the brake work, have any of the service lights been on?

I'll add that this is one of the most unusual ABS/TCS/SES problems I've come across. I'd love to road test the car and be able to take some data while driving.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

I'm still thinking about this one...

I tend to discount suggestions of checking grounds or bleeding brakes.

The TCS works when the wheel speed sensors detect a difference between the front and rear wheel speeds. That difference and how the difference is occurring is the data the EBTCM looks at when deciding to interveen with either throttle reduction or rear brake application.

It would be interesting to road test and look at wheel speed information from each sensor.

The only time I've ever heard of errant TCS activation was with a car which had aftermarket tires on it and the difference in size front-to-rear was significantly greater than stock.

At the time you did the brake job did you change tire size?

As for what the dealer said....its only idea was to start changing parts; I'd go find another service facility. One which has the skills and equipment, and maybe the will, for advanced diagnostics.

Corvette(s)
    68 conv 84 coupe 91 conv 13 GS Coupe

road test with a TECH 2 or SOLUS and monitor wheel speed would be a great way to see whats going on did you do work on brakes your self ? I have had to deal with vehicles that where improperly serviced and had to replace sensors bearing assemblies to straighten them out

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

My first thought when reading your post was exactly what Hib suggested in his first post. Check the wheel speed sensor connectors. They could have easily been bumped or knocked around doing the brake job.
    ​Formerly known as Toms01
    2007 Atomic Orange
    Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY)
    2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)

2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham, IL)

Visit the members GuestMap and show us where you live.

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/TomBachman

link to thread
    http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...c-members.html

Corvette(s)
    02 ZO6

Tim

Call me.... PM sent!

Bill

Corvette(s)
    2002 Red Coupe (Intake/Exhaust)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
    Hello Corvette Action Center,

This is my first post. On 11-11-2011 I replaced Front and Rear Disc Pads and Turned all 4 Rotors an my 2001 6 Speed Convertible Corvette. I used AC Delco Dura Stop Pads. Front GM Part # 88909667 Rear # 88909668. While Test Driving after the Repair, Traction System Activates under any slight acceleration causing loss of power and braking. This happens in all gears except first gear.My Vette has just over 74,000 Miles on it and I have owned the car for 4 years. I have never had this issue before the Brake Job. I have run codes and get nothing. I took the car to Sunset Chevrolet in Sarasota Florida. They had the car for 4 days and could not get any codes either. This is extremely frustrating. I talking with some of my car buddies, I get a variety of opinions. Some say a " Ground Issue" others say " Gravity Bleed" the Brake System,others say look at "Wheel Speed Sensor Connectors" or " Steering Wheel Sensor" . The Dealer said the only remedy was to start replacing parts or wait until it throws a code. I have driven the car approximately 100 miles and still no codes. The car is unsafe to drive unless in Competetive Driving Mode. Any ideas or suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks much,
    Tim

Yesterday, I Road Tested the car with a friend who is a Transmission Tech. We noticed a lot of pull when braking. Sometimes it pulls left other times right. Traction System still Activates on Acceleration cusing Braking and Power Loss. The Tranny Tech suggest I have Caliper Problems. He says one or both Calipers are sticking which can cause a Wheel Speed Issue thus causing the Wheel Speed Sensors to Activate the Traction Control. This seems to make sense to me in light of ther fact I had no problems before the Brake Job. Before I go and spend $600.00 plus labor for new Calipers and Brake Lines I would appreciate some advise or agreement on this.

Thanks Much,
    Tim

Hey, i know this is way too late, I was just browsing through old threads. I recently read about an issue with C5s having the wheel speed sensors start acting goofy when the rubber brake lines off the caliper are replaced with stainless steel ones or others. Just a heads up, if anyone else has a problem similar. You said the brake lines were swapped, so it's probably that.