Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: Comm issues

Corvette(s)
    2003 Medium Spiral Grey

Default Comm issues

My Vette, 03 Coupe, 45500 miles, experienced an issue this morning. I rolled down the passenger and drivers windows to get some thru' air, it was a beautiful morning. Went to close the windows after I had parked and found the passenger window would not roll up. Did a diagnostic check, found RDCM no comm. All other functions on the passenger side, like lock/unlock etc will not function either. Any ideas anyone or is there a link to a previous issue like this one out there? Appreciate the input.
    MDC

Corvette(s)
    2004 Millenium Yellow Coupe

I had the same exact problem last year. I believe it was Vettex2 who pointed me in the right direction. All I had to do was pull the boot out of the forward doorjamb to expose the connector for the door electronics. I unplugged it, cleaned it out with a small stiff bristle paint brush and a shot of WD, blew it out with compressed air and reconnected it. It took all of three minutes. I haven’t had a problem since. Let us know if you find something else going on.

Passenger Window Intermittent
    SANO-LS1

Corvette(s)
    2003 Medium Spiral Grey

Owing to the window being down and very little response from the board, I had to take the vette into the agents and got them to look at it. It turns out that the tech took the door apart, did not find anything unusual. He traced the fault down to a "no voltage" situation on the RDCM, then traced the fault to the fuse box under the passenger side foot rest area and found loose grounds. He tightened those up and everything came back to life. Cost was labor intensive but at least I got my issue solved.
    MDC

Corvette(s)
    2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Best Vette Yet View Post
    Owing to the window being down and very little response from the board, I had to take the vette into the agents and got them to look at it. It turns out that the tech took the door apart, did not find anything unusual. He traced the fault down to a "no voltage" situation on the RDCM, then traced the fault to the fuse box under the passenger side foot rest area and found loose grounds. He tightened those up and everything came back to life. Cost was labor intensive but at least I got my issue solved.
    I honestly don't think that was your issue. That's what they told you but this is a common failure with people who allow their cars to sit for long periods. The door will quit working due to non-use. What usually fixes the problem is slamming the door while holding the button down. Here a link that deals directly with what you were experiencing. You could have gotten off much cheaper. If the problem comes back, you know that they served you up a BS repair.

Passenger door lock and window inop...... - Corvette Forum
    "Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."

Corvette(s)
    2003 Medium Spiral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    I honestly don't think that was your issue. That's what they told you but this is a common failure with people who allow their cars to sit for long periods. The door will quit working due to non-use. What usually fixes the problem is slamming the door while holding the button down. Here a link that deals directly with what you were experiencing. You could have gotten off much cheaper. If the problem comes back, you know that they served you up a BS repair.

Passenger door lock and window inop...... - Corvette Forum
    Hey Junkman, thank you for your reply. It is a pity that I could not have received this advice before I took my beloved vette to the agents. This little fiasco cost me a pretty packet in labor and from the posts I have read from your link, I could have solved the issue myself without it costing me very much cash, time only. Go well, enjoy the winter, SUMMER is just around the corner ... then we can RIDE again.
    MDC

Corvette(s)

There are quite a few issues that are common with this car. I have done writeup's on most of them. Before you ever take it to get repaired, check all the forums first. You will be surprised at how easy some of the fixes are.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Medium Spiral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    There are quite a few issues that are common with this car. I have done writeup's on most of them. Before you ever take it to get repaired, check all the forums first. You will be surprised at how easy some of the fixes are.
    I searched the forums for an answer before I posted but could not find anything. Perhaps I was using the wrong words in the search engine or did not really know where to look. Good advice you have given me though, thank you.
    MDC

Corvette(s)

Don't feel bad, the search engines kinda suck on all the forums. You're sometimes better off using Google.