Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    stonebreaker

Default 2000 M6 makes rattling noise during low rpm - any common causes?

Just bought my vette about 3 weeks ago and love it. However, I often hear a rattling sound coming from under the car when I start off slowly - like, below 1200 rpm in 1st or 2nd gear. Is this an issue common to the car, and if so, any ideas on what it could be (I'm assuming it's the trans or the clutch)? Also sometimes hear a clang or a thump when downshifting while slowing down, that sounds like there's some play somewhere in the driveline. Not sure if it's related...

Car has 120,000 miles on it and the engine runs like a dream - I've put 3,000 miles on the car in 3 weeks.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Medium Spiral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by stonebreaker View Post
    Just bought my vette about 3 weeks ago and love it. However, I often hear a rattling sound coming from under the car when I start off slowly - like, below 1200 rpm in 1st or 2nd gear. Is this an issue common to the car, and if so, any ideas on what it could be (I'm assuming it's the trans or the clutch)? Also sometimes hear a clang or a thump when downshifting while slowing down, that sounds like there's some play somewhere in the driveline. Not sure if it's related...

Car has 120,000 miles on it and the engine runs like a dream - I've put 3,000 miles on the car in 3 weeks.
    That rattling sound seems to be a common occurrence; it is known as "Lugging". Just need to make sure that your revs are up and that you pull of around 1000RPM upwards. Don't strain the motor at low speeds, gear down. I try to run above 1500RPM in gears; this alleviates the lugging sound. Not sure about the downshifting noises but you will sometimes find that when you turn the motor off, there is a "tin can rattle". This seems to be normal as well....... just some built in quirks.
    MDC

Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'

... However, I often hear a rattling sound coming from under the car when I start off slowly - like, below 1200 rpm in 1st or 2nd gear. Is this an issue common to the car, and if so, any ideas on what it could be (I'm assuming it's the trans or the clutch)? Also sometimes hear a clang or a thump when downshifting while slowing down, that sounds like there's some play somewhere in the driveline. Not sure if it's related...
    My '04 will also occasionally make a 'gravel-ly' sounding rattle when I first start out; as "Best Vette Yet" noted, this appears to be normal, particularly if one lugs the engine a bit. Haven't ever personally noted a 'clang' or 'thump' when downshifting though; that may be something you'll want to investigate a bit deeper... Are you properly matching the rev's when you downshift?

Quote Originally Posted by Best Vette Yet View Post
    ... you will sometimes find that when you turn the motor off, there is a "tin can rattle". This seems to be normal as well...
    I've noted that sound on both of my C5's (the '98 AT and the '04 MT); again, despite it sounding bad, it just seems to be normal...

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

stonebreaker

Well, that's a relief. I was worried I may have bought car trouble.

Overall, though, I'm loving the car. I've already put HID projectors on the car and the next mod is some new seats.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.

Well, that's a relief. I was worried I may have bought car trouble.

Overall, though, I'm loving the car. I've already put HID projectors on the car and the next mod is some new seats.

The noise you described is normal operation.

As stated previously if you really want to hear a rattle shut off the engine in neutral with the clutch disengaged (pedal out), that will really wake you up but it is perfectly normal.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech