Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: silkysully

Corvette(s)
    1999 pewter coupe

Default silkysully

I have 2,200 miles on my 1999 coupe since Nov. 2010 and want to know some opinions on changing the oil. Is it okay to go over a year with the mobile 1 synthetics or should I change the oil strictly due to time? The drivers info says I have 56% oil life left.

Corvette(s)
    72 Convertible, 98 Pace Car, 05 Red Convertible

I live in a cold climate and have to store my cars for the winter, regardless of what the oil life monitor says I always put them away with fresh oil so they don't sit all winter with dirty oil in the system. If you are able to drive it year around I figure the engineers at GM are smarter than I am and I would change it when the oil life monitor tells me to. I change my 2003 Avalanche at about every 7000 miles when the monitor says it is time, I have 132,000 miles on it and I have no oil related issues.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

I generally change oil when I put it away for the winter, even though I try to drive it off and on during the winter months (when weather permits). I will change it on the time frame account.
    ​Formerly known as Toms01
    2007 Atomic Orange
    Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY)
    2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)

2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham, IL)

Visit the members GuestMap and show us where you live.

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/TomBachman

link to thread
    http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...c-members.html

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

If you're using Mobil 1–hopefully 10W30 rather than 5W30–you should change your oil at 0% or one year, which ever comes first.
    Hib Halverson

Corvette(s)
    1999 pewter coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 3 View Post
    I live in a cold climate and have to store my cars for the winter, regardless of what the oil life monitor says I always put them away with fresh oil so they don't sit all winter with dirty oil in the system. If you are able to drive it year around I figure the engineers at GM are smarter than I am and I would change it when the oil life monitor tells me to. I change my 2003 Avalanche at about every 7000 miles when the monitor says it is time, I have 132,000 on it and I have no oil related issues.
    thanks I will change the oil even though I try to start and run the car every week for about 15 mins.

Corvette(s)
    1999 pewter coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    If you're using Mobil 1–hopefully 10W30 rather than 5W30–you should change your oil at 0% or one year, which ever comes first.
    I will make sure it is 10w30 and I wasn't at all familiar with synthetic oil so I will change it thanks for the help

Corvette(s)
    1999 pewter coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Toms01 View Post
    I generally change oil when I put it away for the winter, even though I try to drive it off and on during the winter months (when weather permits). I will change it on the time frame account.
    Thanks for the help. I run mine every week for about 15 mins. in the winter.

Corvette(s)
    2004 6 Speed Roadster and 2011 Inferno Orange Z06

Quote Originally Posted by silkysully View Post
    Thanks for the help. I run mine every week for about 15 mins. in the winter.
    If you are running it as opposed to driving it in the winter, 15 minutes may not be enough. You can do more "damage" from condensation by running only long enough to generate condensation and not burning it off. If you are running it, idling it, then you need to make sure the water, oil and exhaust system temps all get hot enough to burn off the condensation generated by a cold start in winter.