Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1999 convertible, 2010 C6

Default 1999 Corvette headlights come on, but will not open.

My 1999 Corvette headlights come on after turning the switch, but both will not open up. I have checked fuse 3 and 4 and find that they are ok. There is no sound of the headlight motors running. Is there another backup fuse some where else.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

First, pull your codes. That is always the first place that you start. Second, was any work performed on the headlights (or the headlight area), in the recent past?
    "Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."

Corvette(s)

Default 1999 Headlight

Once a Marine always a Marine F-2-29th 6th Marine
    Negative no work has been done on the Vette, has been sitting up for three months, but I have no idea if the headlights worked pior to that, since we usually only drive it during the daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    First, pull your codes. That is always the first place that you start. Second, was any work performed on the headlights (or the headlight area), in the recent past?

Corvette(s)

Semper Fi bro'!

You still need to pull the codes. There are a few things to check but hopefully, the codes will narrow it down. There are no cheap parts in the headlamp circuit.

Corvette(s)

Default 1999 Headlights

I have checed codes, nothing pertaining. Question is what is that little square box on the drivers side right next to the connection for the headlights, parking, ect. It seems to be bolted to the frame. Could that be the problem.

Same problum. 99 just started. The auto system will raise the lights and lower them. but not the stock. so lurking.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 582Boat View Post
    I have checed codes, nothing pertaining. Question is what is that little square box on the drivers side right next to the connection for the headlights, parking, ect. It seems to be bolted to the frame. Could that be the problem.
    Yeah,Thats the ground splice pack,there should be one on the other side too!! Remove them from the frame,unplug them and clean everything,Including the the stud on the frame!~!!Then go from there,if that don't fix it you may have a faulty headlamp module, It's under the right headlamp bolted to the front of the wheel splash shield!~!!You get to it from the underside,It's kinda a pain in the WaZOO!~!!

junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

Default Kinda!

Quote Originally Posted by Da GM-JunkMan View Post
    It's kinda a pain in the WaZOO!

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post

Morn'un Shooter!~!!
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)

Default 1999 Headllights

This morning I checked with a buddy Corvette owner and he suggersted to check out the Headlight module located on the passenger side of the headlight, un plugthe connection and put some contact grease in the connection, if that doesn't work, replace the dam thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvettes White View Post
    Same problum. 99 just started. The auto system will raise the lights and lower them. but not the stock. so lurking.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 582Boat View Post
    This morning I checked with a buddy Corvette owner and he suggersted to check out the Headlight module located on the passenger side of the headlight, un plugthe connection and put some contact grease in the connection, if that doesn't work, replace the dam thing.
    I wouldn't replace it unless I used a scan tool to make sure its bad. It ain't exactly cheap.

Corvette(s)

Default 1999

I will test the module out first, then maybe replace or use the 1999 as a daytime vechicle???? How much are the modules and where could you purchase one?

Fox Company, 2nd Battalion 29th Marines, Sixth Marine Division. During the 22 months the sixth Marine Division existed a total of 621 men served in F-2-29, as of today Fox survivors of record total 33. Most of them KIA on Okinawa.

Corvette(s)

Now don't retire the car to daytime driving only just yet. You can always MANUALLY raise the headlights by turning the plastic knob on the back of the headlight motors. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the motors but turning that knob to raise them will let you know as soon as you close the headlights. They will sound like a jackhammer going off under the hood. One thing you'll want to do is unplug the two harnesses that go to the headlight module and plug them back in. It may just be a faulty connection. See below.

Also, unplug and reconnect this connector. It will keep the headlight motors from running too.

The module is a dealer only item new, but you can find it used at places like Corvette Recycling. New will cost you anywhere from $170-$300. No rhyme or reason with the dealerships. One other thing, have you tried turning on the twilight option and seeing what the buckets do??

I was a 0311 with 3rd BATT, 1st MARDIV. I was supposed to be in Lebanon in October of 1983 when 241 of our brothers were killed by two suicide truck bombers. I, but for the grace of God along with 11 others were sent to barracks duty somewhere else and missed that event. That has always left a bad taste in my mouth and to this day, I still get pissed when I think about it. God rest their souls.

Corvette(s)

Default 1999 Headlights Control Module Recall

Has there ever been a recall on the Headlight Module on the 1999 Corvette?

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    Now don't retire the car to daytime driving only just yet. You can always MANUALLY raise the headlights by turning the plastic knob on the back of the headlight motors. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the motors but turning that knob to raise them will let you know as soon as you close the headlights. They will sound like a jackhammer going off under the hood. One thing you'll want to do is unplug the two harnesses that go to the headlight module and plug them back in. It may just be a faulty connection. See below.

Also, unplug and reconnect this connector. It will keep the headlight motors from running too.

The module is a dealer only item new, but you can find it used at places like Corvette Recycling. New will cost you anywhere from $170-$300. No rhyme or reason with the dealerships. One other thing, have you tried turning on the twilight option and seeing what the buckets do??

I was a 0311 with 3rd BATT, 1st MARDIV. I was supposed to be in Lebanon in October of 1983 when 241 of our brothers were killed by two suicide truck bombers. I, but for the grace of God along with 11 others were sent to barracks duty somewhere else and missed that event. That has always left a bad taste in my mouth and to this day, I still get pissed when I think about it. God rest their souls.

Corvette(s)

No. A recall is only done if safety is concerned. People have to die or come darn close to dying before a recall is issued.