Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    jnj
    Corvette(s)
    2008 Crystal Red Metallic Coupe

Default Replacing F and R Shocks

Need a bit of advice please.
    Shop says my shocks all need to be replaced based on his abservation of tire wear.
    Looking at all 4 shocks while the car was in the air, it looks like a very straightforward procedure. No Selective ride option on the car.
    My question is: Can it really be that simple of a job, or are their any special tools I may need and what about compressing or expanding the shock, can this be done by hand to fit while the car in on jack stands? The monroe replacements appear to be around $45.00 each.
    Thanks for any assistance.
    Regards~
    JnJ

Corvette(s)
    2004 Z06 CE & 2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue

Quote Originally Posted by jnj View Post
    Need a bit of advice please.
    Shop says my shocks all need to be replaced based on his abservation of tire wear.
    Looking at all 4 shocks while the car was in the air, it looks like a very straightforward procedure. No Selective ride option on the car.
    My question is: Can it really be that simple of a job, or are their any special tools I may need and what about compressing or expanding the shock, can this be done by hand to fit while the car in on jack stands? The monroe replacements appear to be around $45.00 each.
    Thanks for any assistance.
    Regards~
    JnJ
    Yup, it's just that easy on a C5. You may want to forget the Monroe replacements and consider installing the shocks intended for a 2004 Z06. They are MUCH better than anyother C5 shock!!
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,
    Z06/Z16 #1689

Corvette(s)
    2003 Red Z06

The 2004 Z06 Sachs shocks are suppose to be the best for our cars. Unfortunantely, I understand they are quite expensive. Next best bet is the C5 Z06 shocks. They are also excellent. Hope this helps.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Magnetic Red Coupe

Pretty straight forward, no special tools needed. I bought C6 Z06 shocks, they certainly give a firmer ride than what came off of mine. In retrospect I'd probably purchase some Bilstein shocks, in standard form. I really don't require the performance shocks, mine is a road car, not an auto-X or racing car.

2001 Magnetic Red
    / Custom Light Oak/Mag Red interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY)
    2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)

2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham, IL)

Visit the members GuestMap and show us where you live.

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/TomBachman

link to thread
    http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...c-members.html

Dad
    Corvette(s)
    05Silver/Red6spd 72Blk/Blk4Spd 64Red/Red/Wht4spd

I doubt it is your shocks that is causing poor tire wear, most likely it is alignment. If it were shocks that caused it you would have been bouncing all over the road. Is the wear cupping on the inside edges causing them to be noisy? Check out this thread I NEED TO GET NEW TIRES and do get your alignment checked and/or corrected.

That said shocks can be change in 1/2 hour, I use a #9 wire bent in a bracket shape to hold the shock collapsed until it's in place and then slip it off.

C6 has been to 20 states, 49K miles and counting... slowly, more fun driving the '64 and the '72.

Corvette(s)
    Stingray

OEM shocks, whether regular or Z06 are built to a price point. Spend a little more and get rebuild-able Bilsteins.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

jnj
    Corvette(s)
    2008 Crystal Red Metallic Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    I doubt it is your shocks that is causing poor tire wear, most likely it is alignment. If it were shocks that caused it you would have been bouncing all over the road. Is the wear cupping on the inside edges causing them to be noisy? Check out this thread I NEED TO GET NEW TIRES and do get your alignment checked and/or corrected.

That said shocks can be change in 1/2 hour, I use a #9 wire bent in a bracket shape to hold the shock collapsed until it's in place and then slip it off.
    First, thanks for the #9 wire tip.
    Front Right was cupping on the outer edge.
    Front Left wearing evenly

Rear Right - Bald center as if overinflated, but was at 30psi
    Rear Left - Very uneven wear all around.

Tires that just come off - Kumho MX Runflats

New Tires - Hankook Ventus V12 evo NON run flats
    Car is 2001 vert with 127k miles

Dad
    Corvette(s)
    05Silver/Red6spd 72Blk/Blk4Spd 64Red/Red/Wht4spd

Quote Originally Posted by jnj View Post
    First, thanks for the #9 wire tip. Front Right was cupping on the outer edge. Front Left wearing evenlyRear Right - Bald center as if overinflated, but was at 30psiRear Left - Very uneven wear all around.Tires that just come off - Kumho MX RunflatsNew Tires - Hankook Ventus V12 evo NON run flatsCar is 2001 vert with 127k miles
    With that many miles shocks are past due along with a good look at tie rods. ball joints, and your rear linkage plus then a 4 wheel alignement. You have more wrong than just shocks if the wear pattern was that different. Got to go along with Catberger the Bilsteins are super shocks but only just by a small amount over good Monroes. Had only 2 sets of them and couldn't see much difference over the Monroe gas shocks.

C6 has been to 20 states, 49K miles and counting... slowly, more fun driving the '64 and the '72.