Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1999 Pewter Roadster

Default DIC preferences reset every time I start the car - What gives?

Every time I start my '99 roadster now, the DIC 'preferences' return to default, the fuel economy and trip mileage returns to 0.0, and, in my case, because my car was originally delivered in Canada, the odometer returns to default (metric) units, i.e., kilometers. Curiously, the radio does NOT lose its stored favorites and the outside thermometer indication continues to display temperature in F, i.e., not C (default) units. The car battery seems fine (the car starts OK). I have had no trouble previously like this and have owned the car many years. Is there some other 'back up' or memory battery that requires replacement? Anyone else had a similar problem? Though the car seems to run OK, this is very annoying. Thanks.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Pull and post your codes. That is always the first thing you do.
    "Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."

Corvette(s)
    86 & 99 Z51's

pfhht......your battery is likely dying
    or
    possible bad battery connection or ground

I don't wax
    I wrench

DON'T LET WHAT YOU CAN'T DO GET IN THE WAY OF WHAT YOU CAN DO!
    http://www.lilmynx.com/images/Lilmynxmovie.mov

86 & 99 auto Z51's
    AMA Lifetime Member
    NASCAR Winston Weekly Racing Series Track Championship Crew Member (Dirt Track)
    NASCAR Dodge Weekly Racing Series Track Championship Crew Member (Pavement)
    NASCAR Whelen All American Weekly Series Track Championship Crew Member (Pavement)
    NASCAR Whelen All American Weekly Series California State Championship Crew Member (Pavement)

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.

Quote Originally Posted by SleekStreak View Post
    Every time I start my '99 roadster now, the DIC 'preferences' return to default, the fuel economy and trip mileage returns to 0.0, and, in my case, because my car was originally delivered in Canada, the odometer returns to default (metric) units, i.e., kilometers. Curiously, the radio does NOT lose its stored favorites and the outside thermometer indication continues to display temperature in F, i.e., not C (default) units. The car battery seems fine (the car starts OK). I have had no trouble previously like this and have owned the car many years. Is there some other 'back up' or memory battery that requires replacement? Anyone else had a similar problem? Though the car seems to run OK, this is very annoying. Thanks.

Check the voltage at your battery with a volmeter when you start the vehicle (engine cranking), your battery could be bad even though it starts the engine ok now. Pulling the codes would be a good idea also. Good luck with it.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    1999 Pewter Roadster

You guys (VETTEX2 and LLC5) were right! Though it turned the engine over and started the car OK, the battery voltage dropped to just under 10 volts when cranking, causing the DIC to 'lose' its memory. I understand completely, though I am surprised that GM didn't have a sufficiently large capacitor in the circuit to prevent this phenomenon during relatively short-term voltage drops, much like consumer electronics do (e.g., an electric clock that doesn't lose its time setting for a minute or so when moving its power source from one outlet to another; not to be confused with a battery backup). Replaced the battery and everything's cool (or hot)! Thanks!!

Corvette(s)
    86 & 99 Z51's

DON'T LET WHAT YOU CAN'T DO GET IN THE WAY OF WHAT YOU CAN DO!
    http://www.lilmynx.com/images/Lilmynxmovie.mov

86 & 99 auto Z51's
    AMA Lifetime Member
    NASCAR Winston Weekly Racing Series Track Championship Crew Member (Dirt Track)
    NASCAR Dodge Weekly Racing Series Track Championship Crew Member (Pavement)
    NASCAR Whelen All American Weekly Series Track Championship Crew Member (Pavement)
    NASCAR Whelen All American Weekly Series California State Championship Crew Member (Pavement)