Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: Substitute Part

Corvette(s)
    2001 Blk Coupe

Default Substitute Part

Hey gang, my retainer spring on my front air dam (the part that deflects the air up into the radiator) snapped and the part is obsolete now so GM doesn't make it. I'm sure there is a substitute part or spring I can use. Any ideas?

I did a search for the part #10400760 and might have found one in England of all places, but that's it so far.

Thanks
    -Ryan

2001 6spd Blk Coupe (Babygirl survived the round of layoffs)

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    ~ Thucydides

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Bioscache2 View Post
    Hey gang, my retainer spring on my front air dam (the part that deflects the air up into the radiator) snapped and the part is obsolete now so GM doesn't make it. I'm sure there is a substitute part or spring I can use. Any ideas?

I did a search for the part #10400760 and might have found one in England of all places, but that's it so far.

Thanks
    That Spring and Retainers are still available from GM,
    Spring(2 Required)
    Retainers(4 Required)

I have 4 Springs and 8 Retainers in stock,How many you need??
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    2001 Blk Coupe

Junk, I think I just need one retainer but I uploaded a pic and you can tell me if I'm calling the parts by their proper name. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	retainer part.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	2336

As you can see, it's frayed on the right end there with the metal puck missing. The hooks (retainers?) on either end of the spring hook into the spring and it came off my front air dam.
    -Ryan

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    ~ Thucydides

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Yeah,You need a retainer PM me your Addy,I'll send you one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bioscache2 View Post
    Junk, I think I just need one retainer but I uploaded a pic and you can tell me if I'm calling the parts by their proper name.
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    2001 Blk Coupe

PM sent, thanks again.
    -Ryan

~ Thucydides