Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1999 Convertible, Mag Red

Default HVAC Climate Control Unit gets HOT!

I have a '99 convertible that I acquired in May. I put a refurbished HVAC control unit in over the summer and it seemed to work fine for A/C and for heat so far but heat has only been used for short trips around town. Last night, we returned from a trip about two hours away and it is winter so had the heater on. I noticed that the face of the climate control unit was very hot to the touch. I mean so hot that you couldn't leave your finger on it for more than a few seconds.

Is this normal? I would not think so. If it is not normal, what might be causing it to heat up? It is a simple plug-in install, although I did just put in a new stereo so had removed it for that install. The stereo was not similarly hot, nor anything else, except for the parts of the bezel that were immediately adjacent to the climate control unit. Curiouser and curiouser . . . Any thoughts?

Corvette(s)

Well, it didn't get hot during a daytime drive today, so it is the bulbs putting off the heat. I've gotten a couple of other responses noting the same thing. So, maybe it is time for an LED conversion. Nothing fancy - just stock appearance but would cut down on the heat.

Corvette(s)
    86 & 99 Z51's

I got banned for proving what an DELETE COMMENT!! is on the other forum you posted this on

VETTEX2 your comment is not appreciated on our forum (Community) I suggest you review:
    Terms of Service … PLEASE reference item #2 as well the entire TOS page!

AND

General Forum Rules … PLEASE pay special attention to the second paragraph and the last sentence!
    (Bud Dougherty Forums Administrator)

Corvette(s)

Junkman did overreact about the outfit that did my HVAC unit; but, it would have been better not to have been quite so adamant about calling him on it. Never hit a drunk in a bar with your pitching hand.

Corvette(s)
    86 & 99 Z51's

it's deeper than just one post / thread

DELETE Comment!!

VETTEX2 your comment is not appreciated on our forum (Community) I suggest you review:
    Terms of Service … PLEASE reference item #2 as well the entire TOS page!

AND

General Forum Rules … PLEASE pay special attention to the second paragraph and the last sentence!
    (Bud Dougherty Forums Administrator)