Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1986 Coupe

Default ABS and TCS Dash Lights

I have the dreaded C1214 H C error code on the TCS in the DIC.

I think I have read all previous post regarding this code and believe I have tried all remedies EXCEPT to replace the failed unit.

I have 2 questions; 1. How do you remove the electrical connection at the front of the unit? It has a gray handle that you can pull up that appears to release the connection, but I can't seem to get it completely free and move it out of the way.

2. Is there a way to make the dash lights go off while the system has an error or while it is being replaced.

Pulling the 40A fuse doesn't make them go away. I don't mind driving without the systems working properly, but I can't stand to see lights on the dash.

This is on a 2001 coupe with ABS, TCS, and Adjustable Ride (FX51 or 52 I think).

Thanks,

Jeff

Corvette(s)
    03 Z06,66 coupe,99 Porsche Carrera

I had the same code with my '03. I don't know if I can post the name of the internet service that repaired mine but here goes...ABSFIXER.COM / ABS EBCM Repair

The handle you're talking about didn't completely raise up like I thought it would but I was still able to remove the electrical. Removal of the ECBM is quite easy. Here are instructions from the above website. Good luck. Turn around on my repair was approx 1 week.

Delphi/Corvette EBCM removal...

The procedure for removing the EBCM is very simple. The only special tool you need is a T-20 torx screw driver. A tool set that has a 1/4" drive screwdriver with an adapter for many different size bits. A flathead screwdriver may also be needed to pry apart the EBCM from the BPMV

1 - Make sure the car is off.
    2 - You will probably need to remove the airbridge to get to the EBCM.
    3 - Remove the wire harness by first removing the white plastic clip that locks it in place, then lift gray handle and pull back on the wire harness. At this point, you will be able to see the second wire connection that is removed by pulling down.
    4 - The service manual calls for you the remove the 2 insulator nuts that hold the BPMV to the brackets and lift the EBCM/BPMV out of the bracket. I do not think this step is necessary because there is plenty of room while it is still in the bracket and you do not gain much additional clearance since the brake lines restrict the movement.
    5 - Remove the 6 T-20 torx screws connecting the EBCM and BPMV - 1 on each corner and 2 on the sides.

6 - "Separate the EBCM from the BPMV by gently pulling apart until separated" - I should start laughing here, but it's not that funny. It's been my experience that anytime the instructions call for you to do something gently, nothing gentle is going to work. In this case, you might need that flathead screw driver to brake the seal. Once it moves a little, the rest is easy.
    Once you receive your module back from us, follow the above instructions in reverse or just follow the instructions below to install your repaired module.

7 - At this point, all you've got to do is put it all back together. push the new EBCM onto the BPMV.
    8 - Replace the 6 T-20 torx screws
    9 - reconnect the wire harness
    10 - put the intake back on

Corvette(s)
    1998 Two Tone Torch Red& Black Coupe

Sometimes all we need to do with our C5's is to clean the electrical connections first before throwing money at new parts. My GM service manual normally suggests to always first clean connections, then proceed with the troubleshooting chart. Also cleaning grounding points is a must for all C5's now that our cars are aging. Worked for me!

Good luck.
    Dennis "Fix" Fixsen
    dba Fixvet Detailing Services, Springfield, MO
    1998 Torch Red Coupe, Born 11-3-97, Adopted 2-18-04
    VFW Life Member VN 70-71 4thINF & 101st ABN

Corvette(s)
    03 Z06,66 coupe,99 Porsche Carrera

Quote Originally Posted by fixvet View Post
    Sometimes all we need to do with our C5's is to clean the electrical connections first before throwing money at new parts. My GM service manual normally suggests to always first clean connections, then proceed with the troubleshooting chart. Also cleaning grounding points is a must for all C5's now that our cars are aging. Worked for me!

Good luck.
    Yep, I have to agree with you that there are other things that can be done to perhaps fix the problem. I tried cleaning the grounding points too which didn't work. After reading "woodpuppy's" post it appeared he was at the point of removing the EBCM. That's why I sent the removal instructions from absfixer. absfixer repairs your original part and it cost me $150. A new unit from my Chevy dealer would have cost over $1,000 Have a good day!