Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2007, LS2, Monterey Red, auto.

Default Low tire warning on all 4 today.

I drove 40 miles to an appointment in 40 weather after parking in the garage.

I parked in the lot.

Two hours later I came out and started it up and I got all four low tire pressure warnings coming on one after the other in the DIC. So I looked at them and they looked okay as I had no way to get air.

As I drove they went away one at a time. My tire pressure went to 27 as I drove. So I know they’re low. Has anyone seen this before? Could it have been the cold weather and low pressure?

Corvette(s)
    04 Medium Spiral Gray Coupe

The cold weather has an effect on them for sure. The driving you did after the warning "woke them up".

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Higg View Post
    Has anyone seen this before? Could it have been the cold weather and low pressure?
    Yes. Being in your garage, the tires were warmer than outside before you started. After parking in the lot and sitting for 2 hours, the tires cooled down - thus reducing the pressure in the tires. This was low enough to set the low tire pressure warning for all 4 tires.

Driving home heated the tires again raising the pressure so that the low tire warning went out one by one.
    Tuna
    NCM Lifer - NCM Fighter Squadron
    2014 Caravan Captain - OK/TX Panhandle
    Central OK CC - Lone Star CC

Corvette(s)

Thanks fellas. I kinda thought that was what it was.

I waited an hour and checked them when I got home and all four read 25 pounds so I added 5 pounds to each wheel.

They had been reading 26-27 when driving lately. In the summer I didn't mess with them because while driving they read 33 all the time.

This is the first car I have ever had that had this so I have to get used to it. How reliable is it?

Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'

... Has anyone seen this before? ...
    Coincidentally, I had a very similar thing happen to me over the weekend. Mine had been sitting in the garage for quite a while (longer than I care to admit, but that's another story...). I moved it out into the driveway, where it sat for another hour or so. When I got back in it to drive off and run some errands, I got "LOW TIRE PRESSURE" alerts for each tire. Checking the DIC, I had ~25-26 psi in each tire. I ultimately attributed it to some minor air leakage while the car had been sitting dormant for so long, so I just aired them up, and everything seems fine now.

The other answers you've already received pertaining to your case all make sense.

... How reliable is it?
    My experience suggests that the tire pressure monitoring system is pretty accurate and reliable.

Incidentally, tire pressures should always be checked and adjusted when the tire is cold, for the very reasons described by "Tuna." That's not always practical, but the recommended pressure ratings are for a cold tire.

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Corvette(s)

What do you keep your pressure at? My door sill tag says 30. So 30 it is.

This is my first C5 and it'll be the first winter I have owned it so I guess I have to get used to the quirks.

It was raining today too, and when I got onto the highway I punched it and almost lost control despite the traction control being on! I love the power! I can only imagine a C6!

Even passing on the highway at normal speeds I spun 'em inadvertently.

I wonder if that's why I got that code I got in another post.

Corvette(s)

What do you keep your pressure at? My door sill tag says 30. So 30 it is.
    I typically use the recommended pressure as well.

This is my first C5...
    Well, welcome to the fold! It's a great car!

It was raining today too, and when I got onto the highway I punched it and almost lost control despite the traction control being on! I love the power! I can only imagine a C6!

Even passing on the highway at normal speeds I spun 'em inadvertently.
    Yeah, the C5 will easily break traction, even on dry pavement. You definitely have to respect the power of the car, or in the blink of an eye you'll be learning that lesson the hard way! Take some time to peruse YouTube, and watch all the videos of people who ended up attending the "C5 Driving School of Hard Knocks"...

Toward that end, I wouldn't recommend relying on the traction control system to keep you pointed straight. It works reasonably well, but there are limitations to the "magic" it can perform; and once the tires break grip, both you and the traction control system are just going along for the ride...

Take the time to carefully learn how the C5 reacts to your driving commands (both throttle and steering) -- and what its inherent limitations are. It will be time well-spent, and make you a much more skillful driver in the process!

Corvette(s)

I completely agree. I accidentally spin 'em on dry unintenitally occasionally and I grit my teeth because tires are expensive!

Today in the rain however, now THAT caught me off guard. I have a lot of tread but the whole car almost went out of control. Backed off the gas in a hurry and then made my way on the ramp. Although it's powerful I have to love it. This car moves in a hurry!

You're right, this car will get ahead of you in no time.

I'm amazed at how low the RPM's are at idle. And because of that I get great mileage. No tickets and I don't intend to get any either. Usually I drive with cruise on at no more than three over. There's a LOT of sheriffs here that would love to write a Vette up.

I'll have to look at those YouTubes. I saw one where a stock Vette blew a fully loaded Cobra Mustang off the track. This thing cost about a third or half again as much as the stock Vette. I was amazed.

Thanks for all yall's help.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.

I drove 40 miles to an appointment in 40 weather after parking in the garage.

I parked in the lot.

Two hours later I came out and started it up and I got all four low tire pressure warnings coming on one after the other in the DIC. So I looked at them and they looked okay as I had no way to get air.

As I drove they went away one at a time. My tire pressure went to 27 as I drove. So I know they’re low. Has anyone seen this before? Could it have been the cold weather and low pressure?

The rule of thumb is 10* F is equal to about 1 lbs of air pressure either way, up or down (obviously).
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)

Although it's powerful I have to love it. This car moves in a hurry!

You're right, this car will get ahead of you in no time.

I'm amazed at how low the RPM's are at idle. And because of that I get great mileage.
    No doubt about it: we all get a kick out of the car's power. I routinely tell friends: "You just gotta love a car that will go 0-60 mph in under 5 seconds, and still get 30 mpg on the highway!"

One time I drove from Waco, TX to San Antonio and back; round trip about 400 miles. 30+ mpg both directions at 70 mph on I-35, ~1,500 RPM, and I still had enough gas when I got back to Waco to drive around town for another day or so.

... I'll have to look at those YouTubes. I saw one where a stock Vette blew a fully loaded Cobra Mustang off the track. This thing cost about a third or half again as much as the stock Vette. I was amazed.
    Yeah, the stock Vette will definitely move on out. Not long after I first got mine, another friend of mine, who has a 2001 Z06 to which he'd made a few minor modifications, discovered that one of the local drag strips has a "test and tune" night where you pay $15 and they'll time your runs down the track all night long. He and I took our Vettes down there just for giggles; him to tinker with his handiwork, and me mainly just to goof off. Mind you: my C5 is straight-out-of-the-box stock; I'm a rank amateur at running the quarter mile; I didn't try to do any really hard starts for fear of damaging something; and I still managed a 13.5-second run at 107 mph. That's actually not far from Chevy's published numbers for the C5 with a 6-speed (13.2 seconds at 109 mph).

And what amazed me when I went past the finish line: I think I'd barely reached third gear -- and was still accelerating! Not just creeping up past 100 mph -- I mean really accelerating! If I'd had another quarter mile or so of pavement, I'd have easily been at 150 mph -- and probably still accelerating!

Corvette(s)

All I can say is freaking AWESOME!!!

I WISH I could run mine up that fast.

On the 1 pound versus temp thing that's good to know. I'm gonna print that out for my binder.

Anyone know if anyone has ever done a test to see how hot the air IN the tires gets at say highway speeds at around maybe 75 or 80 degrees? Would be interesting from an engineering standpoint.

I'll bet that those speeds and temps the air might get hot enough to raise the pressure above 35 maybe? Dunno.

Corvette(s)

All I can say is freaking AWESOME!!!

I WISH I could run mine up that fast.
    I'm sure if you check around your area, you'll find a drag strip that offers a "test and tune" period on their track. Just don't try to make your first run your fastest -- or it might be the lastest (for your car). As we were speaking about earlier: until you learn to properly feather in all that power, you might put your shiny new C5 into a concrete barrier... And keep in mind that you likely run the track at your own risk; I doubt a basic auto insurance policy will cover damages...

Anyone know if anyone has ever done a test to see how hot the air IN the tires gets at say highway speeds at around maybe 75 or 80 degrees? Would be interesting from an engineering standpoint.
    I think you'd need a temperature sensor inside the tire (similar to the pressure monitor sensor) to get an accurate reading of that.

Corvette(s)

I think I'll hold off on the track. You're right, I don't want to wreck it. Also, the insurance, another thing to consider.

Thanks Tim and hope you enjoy your Vette as much as I do mine.

Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Coupe 1972 454 auto red

FWIW

I have an 02. Lately, it's been colder here in Chicago and my LF and RR tires have been tripping the "Low Pressure" warning. I reinflate them and eventually they would leak back down. All summer they were fine.

The tire guy replaced the Warning Sensor stem nut thingy and the rubber seals. $6.95 a tire plus labor and all is well.

I guess the valve stem,rubberseal and valve stem nut will leak over time and the cold aggrevated it.

Also, a tire rep. indicated that the Goodyear tires do well at a pressure greater than 30 PSI. They rate them lower to sell more tires.
    I have noticed that keeping them at 30 PSI, when it's was time to get new tires, the outside wore alittle more than the center. So now iI try to target 35 PSI.

Save the wave!

Corvette(s)

Hi shark,

I drove it just now. Yesterday I filled all four to 30 PSI. During the drive I noticed them climb from 27 to 30 and hold steady at all speeds. Ambient temp was in the 50’s.

Thanks for that info. More tire info for my Vette binder.

I have Michelin, Radial X Pilot Sports on it. That’s what came with it when I bought it. Not run flats and no tire repair kit so I have to rely on my excellent warranty policy I bought when I bought the car. Thank goodness I haven’t needed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast