Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2007, LS2, Monterey Red, auto.

Default Squeal/squeak from front of car...

Yesterday I drove to Lowe’s. Parked and shopped. When I got back in the car I had both windows open and the stereo off. When I turned the car around at a very slow speed I heard a squeal or squeaking sound coming from the front end. I don’t think it was the power steering because it sounded like it was coming from the wheels themselves or that area. It did it on both wheels and while turning very slowly both left and right.

I then went to a grocery store. Shopped. Backed out of a parking space and tried to reproduce it but nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Paul

Corvette(s)
    08 Jetstream Blue Z51 coupe

there are a couple of older parking lots with a smooth sealer that my tires slide and squeal on........maybe there is something similar at Lowes
    Dale

Corvette(s)

Nah, it was coming from the car, I'm sure of it. It sounded similar to a power steering problem.

Corvette(s)

Does anyone have any ideas?

I would appreciate it.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Pewter convertible

Brake pads orig? maybe squeaking when wheels turning, hanging up when warm. Just a thought as mine did this.

Corvette(s)

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if they are the originals.

Your car did the same thing?

At first I thought it was that sound your hear on old clunkers when the power steering pump or belt goes out. But as I turned ever so slowly in both directions it did it without braking. And I am 100% certain it was at the very wheels themselves, both of them. Could it still be the pads if I was not applying them?

It was a hot, dry day, and I was moving maybe 2-3 MPH.

But at the next stop I tried to reproduce it and nothing. Haven’t had a chance to try to duplicate it again.

Could it be ball joints needing grease? Or something that needs to be lubed?

Corvette(s)
    2001 Pewter convertible

Sounds exactly like what mine do. I too thought ball joints, sway bar, steering rack etc. Had it checked out and everything was fine. I had an expert look at it while at Carlisle and this was his suggestion. Made sense to me as mine too happens at very low speeds while turning the wheel. In my case it is just the front left making the sound when turning left on solid surface.

I will not know for sure till I change my pads.My orig. pads have 32,000 miles on them. For now I continue to drive it and every once in a while the sound returns.

Just a suggestion for you.

Corvette(s)

Cool, thanks. I plan on buying a low profile jack soon so I’ll remove the wheels and have a look. They’re not squeaking with the break pad wear indicator thank goodness.

I appreciate your help.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Pewter convertible

Mine dont squeal because of the pad wear clips either. It seems to happen when the pads are hot only. I was told that when pads get thinner they may be sticking causing the noise.

Corvette(s)

Yes, it was hot that day. Can’t wait to jack it and inspect the pads. Thanks again for your help.

Corvette(s)
    2000 pewter conv

Mine squeals as well. Just had new brakes put on last week and it still squeals. I read in Corvette mag that you can run up to about 50mph and rapidly back to 0, repeat that a couple of times back to back. It is supposed to heat them up and help stop the squealing. It was written by on of their tech guys. I'm not a mechanic, so don't just take my word for it. I have not tried this yet but am planning on it.

Corvette(s)

Thanks for the info. I plan on driving it today. Haven’t driven it for a while so maybe I’ll test it out.