Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !

Default I'm trying to choose a higher grade intake, any help is appreciated !

I'm on a sort of on a lite-mod fever. But I want to upgrade my intake system. I've looked and read so many types I see them in my sleep. But I have decided price isn't a factor so with that said, I've read and am interested in 1. The Halltech C5 Venom II Blackwing, or 2. The Callaway Honker high flow, the numbers for flow are close as is the price +/- $50.00 so if anyone out there has either and like it, I'm listening. I don't like the 'Breathless injection system at all. Despite the numbers I don't like it.

I recently installed a Corsa 'Pace Car' exhaust so since it has a slightly better flow exiting, I'd like to match it at the incoming end. Thank you for your opinions !

Corvette(s)
    2004 Z06 CE & 2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue

I put the K&N FIPK System on my '04 vert and was very impressed with the quality and the seat of the pants dyno results. I too had the Corsa Indy Pacecar System with the x pipe.
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,
    Z06/Z16 #1689

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

I think ya oughta rule-out the Haltech and the Callaway just for their stupid names and the question they raise about those two companies spending too much money on dreaming up dumb names.

Ok...seriously...
    On my '04, I have the Granatelli Dual Cone Cold Air Induction which includes a high-flow MAF sensor. It's been on there for a little over a year and has worked quite well.

If you just want the air filter assy with no MAF, I'd consider the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit. I have K&N FIPKs on two other vehicles and they've worked quite well, both in street us and on the chassis dyno.

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6

I agree with Hib and Jim and would look at other options. From my perspective... cost for the other systems is a bit high.

The Granatelli and K&N are nice systems.

Cor my old C5... I fabbed my own out of PVC and a couple of K&N filters. I don't think I even had $70 total in it. Worked great.

Corvette(s)
    07 A6 Coupe

I just have a tried and true Donaldson Blackwing!

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue coupe

I think the Blackwing is the best.It fit good was easy to install and I have had no problems.I think I paid 245 for it on sale somewhere.The heck with bending,cutting,sawing,fitting.Get a Blackwing and move on to more mods!

Corvette(s)

Default After going over the 'Intakes', and the 'Intakes'

Quote Originally Posted by jrose7004 View Post
    I just have a tried and true Donaldson Blackwing!
    I really feel stupid as Hib has mentioned, Both the Callaway Honker and the Halltech Venom II are meant for someone other than myself if for no other reason than their stupid names and I agree 1000%, I have the Corsa 'Pace Car' exhaust on it and I have to say, it's great. And I'm going to have a tune done on a dynometer and after looking at all the options, The Blackwing is the only choice I care to have installed prior to the dynometer & Tune. Aftr reading about 30 threads about intakes, The 'Blackwing' is the most logical choice, but I'm wondering if even it is going to give me any benefit ? If so please let me know.

One of the fears is that it's going to start throwing codes on me ? and since the car is perfect shape am I going to get benefits from the 'Blackwing' like SOTP feel ? and or a benefit in MPG or anything along that line of thinking. Thank you for all your insightful tips. And as I thought about it last night, Spending $500.00 for a intake like the Callaway "Honker" or the "Venom II" is simply a waste of money. The Blackwing is priced about $230.00 which is much more reasonable.

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue coupe

cold-air intakes let more air in,just look at the factory air inlet hole,pretty small!You should not get any codes for a cai,I did'nt.A lot of these companys claim from 10-15hps increases,I don't know,never had mine dyno'd,I think they are an improvement over stock nad they look cool!Just get the Blackwing and think about other cool mods to do

Corvette(s)
    2004 Millenium Yellow Coupe

Default You want more flow?

If you're looking for more intake flow, have you considered a Supercharger? I have the Corsa indies with X-pipe and shorties with a Procharger. WoooHoo is it fun. It is also my wife's daily driver. No problems in the four years I've had it.
    SANO-LS1

Corvette(s)
    '94 LT1 Green Coupe. 6-spd. All Bolt-ons.

I would definitely agree on the Donaldson Blackwing choice. Although i dont have a C5 or C6, i frequently buy my performance parts from a shop that specializes in c4,c5 and c6 performance parts (TPiS). They highly recommend the Blackwing for your type of car. Here is a link to their website for the filter for your 2003 vette: http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/8 .

Other mods you could consider would be some aftermarket Headers and a ported throttle body to assist in the engine's "breathing." Many other choices after that too, but may require some computer tuning.
    "Take it Easy...And if it's Easy? Take it Twice"
    ""Unlocking the Potential of my Vette, One Mountain Road at a Time.""
    ~WillC4

Corvette(s)

Default Blackwing choice !

Quote Originally Posted by WillC4 View Post
    I would definitely agree on the Donaldson Blackwing choice. Although i dont have a C5 or C6, i frequently buy my performance parts from a shop that specializes in c4,c5 and c6 performance parts (TPiS). They highly recommend the Blackwing for your type of car. Here is a link to their website for the filter for your 2003 vette: TPiS, Inc. .

Other mods you could consider would be some aftermarket Headers and a ported throttle body to assist in the engine's "breathing." Many other choices after that too, but may require some computer tuning.
    I'm realistic in my thinking about the 'claims' so of the speed shops print about the Blackwing, hell if I got 5-10% I'm happy and maybe just cause I think I'm getting more air I'm getting better performance ?

I think like ernestD has pointed out, The blackwing is the one intake that makes sense, it's a hour install job and it does what it's intended for. I really don't have a long list of Mods for my 2003. I'm 60 and it's a different world of mods at my age. The Corsa exhaust and now this Dyno tune and a new larger intake as the blackwing is and that's about it. I don't want anything difficult to install, no cutting, bending or other fixing is out of the question. Thank you all for your common sense. Your a great bunch of friends to have.

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue coupe

Killian-that's what this forum is for,Helping other vette owners with problems and or questions.I have found it very useful in a lot of ways,thats why I joined.The members are good people,and very smart too!I'm an older guy too and have done a lot of mods with their help and ideas as far as my budget will let me.Enjoy!

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Earlier I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    I think ya oughta rule-out the Haltech and the Callaway just for their stupid names and the question they raise about those two companies spending too much money on dreaming up dumb names.
    As is sometimes the case here on the CAC, my acidic sense of humor may have clouded the issue.

It is true that I have a sore spot for aftermarket parts with unusual names. That said, I've never tested a Callaway "Honker" or a Haltech "Venom", so I don't know if they are any better or any worse than other aftermarket air filter assemblies on the market. I suspect both those products can improve performance.

What I do know is the K&N FIPKs have worked well in two non-Corvette applications which I tested and the Granitelli Dual-Cone system I have on my C5 gained 4.5-hp and 5 lbs/ft torque compared to the stock Z06 air filter assy.

Is there an intake system on the market which might gain more real-world performance than did the Granatelli? Perhaps. Would the additional gain be signficant? Probably not.

As for the comment about supercharging being the way to really get flow...

WELL....Duh!

I think most reading this thread were looking for something quite a bit less-expensive than a supercharger package.

Corvette(s)
    2004 Millenium Yellow Coupe

WELL....Duh!

I think most reading this thread were looking for something quite a bit less-expensive than a supercharger package.

Sorry Hib, Not being familiar with the terms 1. The Halltech C5 Venom II Blackwing, or 2. The Callaway Honker high flow, and the reference to flow numbers, I assumed he was looking at new intake manifolds. Those can run into some $$ too.
    SANO-LS1

Corvette(s)

Default All advice is good advice as this a Corvette, not a 'Heart Pacemaker' website.

Earlier I said:

As is sometimes the case here on the CAC, my acidic sense of humor may have clouded the issue.

It is true that I have a sore spot for aftermarket parts with unusual names. That said, I've never tested a Callaway "Honker" or a Haltech "Venom", so I don't know if they are any better or any worse than other aftermarket air filter assemblies on the market. I suspect both those products can improve performance.

What I do know is the K&N FIPKs have worked well in two non-Corvette applications which I tested and the Granitelli Dual-Cone system I have on my C5 gained 4.5-hp and 5 lbs/ft torque compared to the stock Z06 air filter assy.

Is there an intake system on the market which might gain more real-world performance than did the Granatelli? Perhaps. Would the additional gain be signficant? Probably not.

WELL....Duh!

I have only one concern with the blackwing and that is when the hood is covered with water and you pop the hood, like after you wash the car, when you open the hood all that water is going to pour down all over the blackwing. Besides that I can't see anthing that would perform for anywhere the money. I often wonder if as Hib says, if these aftermarket pieces are worth the money and effort ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast