Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2007 Black Z51 Coupe and 2004 Magnetic Red Coupe

Default When to do tune up.

My '04 coupe just turned past 50K miles. Outside of regularly schedule oil and air filter changes and chassis lubes. There's never been any engine work and it's still performing well. I am noticing that the engine sometimes hesitates to fire up on the first key turn. Is it time for a tune up, and if so, what needs to be checked?

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue coupe

I would change the spark plugs first.GM says the factory plugs can last 100k! right!I pulled mine at 50k and they looked fine but worn down.Guess what poor performance,bad gas mileage.Buy a new set.Next check the air filter,if it's dirty,replace it.These car are no different as far as tune-ups go,most people can do them theirselfs.The fuel filter change is harder.Do these things along with your oil and filter changes and you should be good to go!

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ICOMP View Post
    My '04 coupe just turned past 50K miles. Outside of regularly schedule oil and air filter changes and chassis lubes. There's never been any engine work and it's still performing well. I am noticing that the engine sometimes hesitates to fire up on the first key turn. Is it time for a tune up, and if so, what needs to be checked?
    My 03 has over 75 on it and runs flawlessly!!I have have had to replace the short rubber nipple on the throttle body for the PCV valve 3 times in 7 years,if it's leaking it can cause your symptoms and others depending the size of the vacuum leak!
    I just put the first set of brake pads on the front last week,they still had 1/3 rd the pad left at 75,000 miles!!
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue coupe

Hey junkie I just replaced that rubber nipple on the throttle body popped the hood and it was whisteling dixie wtf what causes that? Had a big ol' hole in it!

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ernestD View Post
    I would change the spark plugs first.GM says the factory plugs can last 100k! right!I pulled mine at 50k and they looked fine but worn down.Guess what poor performance,bad gas mileage.Buy a new set.Next check the air filter,if it's dirty,replace it.These car are no different as far as tune-ups go,most people can do them theirselfs.The fuel filter change is harder.Do these things along with your oil and filter changes and you should be good to go!
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks...

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    My 03 has over 75 on it and runs flawlessly!!I have have had to replace the short rubber nipple on the throttle body for the PCV valve 3 times in 7 years,if it's leaking it can cause your symptoms and others depending the size of the vacuum leak!
    I just put the first set of brake pads on the front last week,they still had 1/3 rd the pad left at 75,000 miles!!
    Just goes to show that the GM engineers know their stuff...It's true, I keep waiting for something to go wrong, but the car just keeps on performing! I love it!

Corvette(s)
    2004 MY stroker Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ICOMP View Post
    My '04 coupe just turned past 50K miles. Outside of regularly schedule oil and air filter changes and chassis lubes. There's never been any engine work and it's still performing well.
    Chassis lube on a C5... where?
    —Bob
    --
    Need a place to host your Corvette website?
    Contact me for special CAC member discount.
    http://www.TheWholeInternet.net

Corvette(s)
    2001 Magnetic Red Coupe

Not to hijack, but to expand on what Junkie said. Jesse,

the short rubber nipple on the throttle body for the PCV valve 3 times in 7 years, if it's leaking it can cause your symptoms and others depending the size of the vacuum leak!
    I have a little hesitation when I step on the gas, you think this is a possibility? What size hose is it? Is it more like a fuel hose or vacuum hose? The car is up on the lift, so I can't just pop the hood to take a look, but I will check it as soon as I get it on the ground.

2001 Magnetic Red
    / Custom Light Oak/Mag Red interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY)
    2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)

2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham, IL)

Visit the members GuestMap and show us where you live.

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/TomBachman

link to thread
    http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...c-members.html

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue coupe

to Toms01-the hose jnnkie is talking about is the small rubber hose on the pvc valve to the throttle body.If you stand in front of your vette it will be on the left side throttle body.Its a short piece of hose and very thin rubber!Mime had a big hole in it ,I don't know why.It threw a check engine lite every now and then.I'd clear it and in a couple of days it came back!I cut a piece of fuel line hose,thicker,and replaced it,job done!GM parts probly want a million bucks for the factory replacement! goodluck,check yours out