Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: C5 Pace Car

MarkusR

Default C5 Pace Car

Hello @all,

please let me ask you a question about the C5 pace car.
    A friend of mine plans to use his C5 as a pacecar/safety car during a Porsche race in Monza/Italy.
    I saw a few photos of the C5 with mounted safety car lamps.
    Here in Germany we have no idea how to fix these lamps on a C5 (and drive at full speed without loosing them !), because none of us has seen a C5 safety car in real before.
    One option is to buy a new roof and fix the lamps permanently on it.
    In my opinion there must be another way to fix these lamps e.g. using the frame joint of the deck lid.
    Do you have any ideas? any links ?

Thanks in advance and excuse my English

Markus

Corvette(s)
    2006 'Evil Stealth Black' Roadster

Hello Markus,
    I need to ask a clarifying question to help guide the answers you get here: when you say "saftey lights," are you referring to the rotating lights like police vehicles have?

Are there alternatives to using those, like the flashing/strobing headlights and tail-lights I've seen done at some races? Or is it required that pace cars for this race you're talking about must have the roof mounted rotating police style lights?

-Patrick

MarkusR

Hello Patrick,

thank you for your fast reply.
    Our C5 should should be as original as possible. I think an american C5 pace car has roof mounted strobe lights. Am I right ?
    Our idea is to mount them like the following C6 photo shows.

Markus

Corvette(s)
    2006 'Evil Stealth Black' Roadster

Hmm, I'm no expert on electrical systems, but intuitively, my first advice is to be careful about the type of roof-mounted strobe light you use. I understand from conversations I've had with cops in my local police department that those lights can cause a drain on the electrical systems in any car, Vettes included.

As for mounting them on the roof, I think you're looking at an attachment which would put permanent holes in the roof.

Anyone else have any ideas for Markus on this?

-Patrick