Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe 6 speed

Default Z51, Active Handling, Performance Handling - ???

I have just never looked into this before now.
    I take it the Acticve Handling was on ALL C5s?
    There is no longer a button on the dash (like my C4) that says ASR?

If the car is outfitted with the Performance Handling Pkg, is this Z51?
    Magnetic Ride Control?

Is the fastest method of confirming Z51 done by checking the RPO code sheet in the rear console lid?

Thanks
    Rain
    --------------------------------------------------------

In mid-1998 a new feature called Active Handling was introduced on Corvette. It is a sophisticated stability control system that utilizes on-board sensors to measure yaw, lateral acceleration and steering wheel position, then brings into play the capabilities of Corvette's standard ABS brake and traction control systems to smoothly assist the driver in maintaining vehicle control in oversteer or
    understeer situations.

For 2001 a Second-Generation Active Handling system, much enhanced over the original, becomes standard equipment on all Corvettes. With a new Bosch brake pressure modulator and many new or revised calibrations, Second-Generation Active Handling provides even more assistance to the Corvette driver.

Corvette engineers know how Corvette owners like to drive their cars, so a stability control system that would shut the car down too severely during enthusiastic driving was out of the question. Second-Generation Active Handling calibrations have been carefully developed to limit such intrusiveness. Aside from an "Active Handling" message on the instrument panel, drivers will not even realize they've been assisted in most situations.

Average drivers will find themselves capable of producing even lower elapsed times in autocross competitions. Above-average drivers will appreciate Active Handling's Competitive Mode, which allows them to switch off the traction control part of the system.

In addition to making all Corvettes more agile, Second-Generation Active Handling adds a cushion of safety given its ability to help out in emergency situations. It deftly senses both over- and under-correction on the driver's part and adjusts to help bring the car back into balance.

As good as it is, Active Handling cannot overcome the laws of physics. It is offered only as an assist - albeit an assist that makes Corvettes a lot more agile, and even safer - but it is not a cure-all for every situation. Ultimately, drivers must still take full responsibility for control of their vehicle.

In addition to Second-Generation Active Handling, Corvette suspension systems are also key enabler of Corvette's considerable agility. Coupe and convertible buyers have three outstanding suspension systems to choose from:

•The standard FE1 suspension is designed to please the majority of Corvette drivers.

•Optional is the Z51 Performance suspension. It provides a level of control "at the limit" beyond what the other packages offer while still maintaining enjoyable ride quality.
    Tunes and Video from the band: (catch us in New Orleans each weekend)
    http://www.rhythmandrain.com/

Endorsing Artist with CA Guitars -

2000 Corvette Coupe---Black on Black---6 speed
    19/20 HRE 547, RK Sport Hood, Vararam, PIAA Headlights, C6/Z06 shifter, Borla Exhaust, Rocker Rails, Frame Savers, Flush Tail Lights, Both Tops, Lowered, etc.

1996 Corvette Coupe---Bright Aqua Metallic---Automatic
    SOLD!!!!

justafamilyman

Hi Rain,
    Active handling and Z51 are (I'm sure you already know) two different things. The Z51 lets you feel the road, almost literely. But, that's the down side, The upside is that you know all 4 wheels are on the ground. My understanding is the the Z51 is a hasher ride. However, I gave up the "softer side" for a bette suspension.
    Now the active handling, there is an "on-off" switch on the "armrest" in the C5. It gives you the choice of: 1) active handling and traction control (normal operation); 2) active handling off but traction control on (or maybe the other way around); 3) active handling and traction control off. It all depends on how you are driving.
    This is the "quick and easy" about the Z-51 and the active handling-traction control.
    Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58

Guy
    Corvette(s)
    2010 CRMT Grand Sport Coupe

Rain - Here is the link I talked about earlier today: Traction Control vs. Active handling vs. Competition mode

Guy

Charter member #1

2010 CRMT Grand Sport

Corvette(s)
    2002 Yellow Z06 (sold); 1999 Pewter FRC (sold)

Active Handling did not come standard on all C5's. Per Hib, in that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
    Traction control is standard on all C5s.
    Active Handling, or stability enhancement, was optional from mid-98 to 2000. In 01 the "second generation" Active Handling became standard.
    Also, the magnetic Ride Control was not available until 03.

Is the fastest method of confirming Z51 done by checking the RPO code sheet in the rear console lid?
    That would probably be the safest bet.

Tammy

Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe 6 speed

THANKS
    Yes, in my sleepless search for that perfect 99-01, I mistakenly lumped the ALL C5s statement in there.
    momentary lapse of my senses.

So which is better? Active handling or Z51?
    (or is it like comparing shoes.. just depends on how you will use em)

19/20 HRE 547, RK Sport Hood, Vararam, PIAA Headlights, C6/Z06 shifter, Borla Exhaust, Rocker Rails, Frame Savers, Flush Tail Lights, Both Tops, Lowered, etc.

SOLD!!!!

Corvette(s)
    08 Jetstream Blue Z51 coupe

Rain,

I've not driven a C5 with active handling, BUT, I can tell you first hand that the Z51 suspension is awsome. All the RPO codes are on the glove box cover. Print off a page from CAC and go look in the glove box............worked great for me.
    Dale

Corvette(s)
    former C3&C5- future C7 when jr's college is paid

Rain,
    If you are shopping for a C5 then look for a 2001 or newer. They all have Active Handling (Ver. 2). If you can't afford a 2001 or find a clean 2000 or older and you still want Active Handling then you can look for a 98 -00 with option "JL4 Active Handling". This is Active Handling Version 1 but it will keep you going staight and out of the trees. Active Handling has saved my butt a few times.

Don't worry about the Z51 option unless you plan to race or autocross or are a nut for the twisties. The only difference in everyday driving with Z51 is a stiffer ride with less body roll. C5 Corvettes do not have too much body roll to begin with. (The Z51 option also adds a power steering coooler.)

I don't advise getting an "older" C5 with the F45 Selective Real Time Damping, Electronic Suspension option due to the high repair/replacement cost and its lackluster performance. I have the same cost concern about F55 Magnetic Selective Ride Control but in that case it may be worth it (if you can afford it) due to the overall good performance it offers.

If you decide to go racing or you find the stock suspension isn't stiff enough for you then upgrading to the thicker swaybars and stiffer shocks is easy to do. You can always add the FE3 (Z51) or the FE4 (Z06) swaybars and shocks. GM performance also makes T1 (SCCA Touring 1 Racing) items. There are some cool after market items too like Hotchkis swaybars and Bilstein shocks.

Frank

Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe 6 speed

Thanks Frank -
    Yes, Im a sucker for the twisties.
    Have a sweet road just an hour north of me dubbed Tail of the Lizard that my Automatic 96 Coupe just struggles thru. I look forward to running this road with a 6 speed!
    As with my runs on the Tail of the Dragon in TN/NC, I end up riding the brakes pretty hard, picking my entry and my line and then accelerating out of the curve. (in the automatic)

Seems the 2001 models are still sitting in the high 20s and low 30s.. and there is only another 6-9 grand difference to go up to a 2004 model.. But, the y2k models are all in the low 20s.
    So that looks like my next Vette.
    Found a great Navy Blue coupe on eBay but the dealer sold it today. Said if the deal falls thru, I have next right of refusal.
    No mention of money yet.

Plan is to drive the C5 a few years and pick up a used C6.

SOLD!!!!

Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe 6 speed

Button Button, whos got the button - This is it, right?

Corvette(s)

Rain try looking here (I've seen some bargins):

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

Like this hardtop:
    http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...5/76623635.htm

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rain
    Button Button, whos got the button - This is it, right?
    Yup. Just south of the shifter.

Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe 6 speed

as fuzzy as this one is, what does it have?

Looks to have the push button and the three way selector.. right?

Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by bluecoupe
    Rain try looking here (I've seen some bargins):

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

Like this hardtop:
    http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...5/76623635.htm
    Like that one too - shame that site only allows such limited info

Might ring him up on Monday -

Also looking at another 2000 model (coupe) with 4$ grand of HRE rims on it, RK Sport hood, Borla Exhaust, both tops and the factory rims/tires for mid 20s$. Its black though.
    Made an offer, sweetened it with a $3,000 guitar and even explained to him that I have the cash. Thought he would jump at this offer but has not.

Corvette(s)

It is the knob for (Option RPO F45) Selective Real Time Damping, Electronic adjustable shocks. It has three selectable modes - Tour, Sport and Performance - each with its own set of calibrations. F45 senses road conditions and vehicle speed then modulates the damping efforts of the shocks to keep the car riding and handling smoothly on a variety of road surfaces.

This was latter changed to option (RPO F55) Magnetic Ride Control
    New on the Corvette for 2003, Magnetic Selective Ride Control uses a revolutionary damper design that controls wheel and body motion with Magneto-Rheological fluid in the shocks . By controlling the current to an electromagnetic coil inside the piston of the damper, the MR fluid’s consistency can be changed, resulting in continuously variable real time damping. As a result, drivers feel a greater sense of security, a quieter, flatter ride and more precise, responsive handling, particularly during sudden, high-speed maneuvers.

The system isolates and smoothes the action of each tire, resulting in less bouncing, vibration and noise. On bumpy or slick surfaces, the system integrates with traction control to assure maximum stability. It also works with ABS to keep the vehicle balanced and poised. It is the only system without electro-mechanical values and no small moving parts. It consists of MR fluid-based monotube shock absorbers, a sensor set and on-board controller. Magnetic Selective Ride Control is available on Corvette coupe and convertible models for 2003.

If I remember correctly...look inside the glove box door. The RPO numbers should be there...

Active handling is a great option that I would definitely have on any C5 I would look at. The button gets pushed down and it should say the feature was deactivated on the dash...Push the button down again and it should say Active Handling On? (if I remember correctly)

If you can get the Z51 on an active handling car with a six speed you'll be glad you did. Not necessary but a nice option package all the same..

Most sellers know whether their car has those two options so just ask on the phone or via email before you go any further.

I always say its best to get the car optioned the way YOU want...so you don't have any mod fever to try and correct for it..

JMO

Good luck

JB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast