Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Steve Calvin

I don't know how I missed this thread earlier but I'm dense sometimes.

I agree wholeheartedly with Warren. I traded my '84 (which most people bad-mouth) on my '97. I miss that '84 a lot.

Not that the '97 isn't a very nice car, it certainly is. I just wish I had my '84 back. I'd picked it up in good shape but really had re-done the car from the ground up except for the power plant and that was next. I tried to buy it back but John had sold it already.

I'm currently debating about selling the '97 and going back to the C4 for the reasons Warren stated so very well.

This is absolutely NO "slam" on C5's. They're a great car. It just comes down to personal preference I guess.

--
    Steve

Corvette(s)
    Vetteless

Having driven both cars I think they are both great. The C5 is an excellent car and rides better than the c4. However the C5 reminds me more of a GT as where the C4 feels to me more like a Sports car kinda like a Ferrari 456(C5) Compared to a 360 Modena(C4). Both are excellent and it really comes down to personal preference which is C4 for me(still want a C3 though).

Mannnn... You Must Be Fast, Because You Were Haulin ASS When I Passed You!!

Corvette(s)
    1999 Torch Red Coupe

NEVER would I trash the C4, my 95 was great, In fact I am waiting to find the next owner, as it was just registered.

My biggest realization is that we all tend to associate the places we have been to and the things we have done (car shows, events, road trips, work on the car itself, etc. etc.) with the car itself. I put on 15, 000 miles in 2 years on my C4 and never had a bad time. I felt like I was loosing all those memories of good times by trading away my first Corvette.

Now after putting on 3500 miles in 3 months behind the wheel of my C5, I have new good times to consider.

On a strictly car Vs car comparison, the C5 is a better car, it doesn’t trash the C4, but its does out perform it. I ran a 13.12 with my C5 a few weeks ago, And I am by no means an expert with the 6 speed. My C4 ran a best of 13.4. The C5 stops quicker with less pedal effort, and there is no question that after a 500 mile trip in the C5 I still felt fine. I felt a little beat up coming out of the C4, and my teeth felt some bumps.

Going to a totally differnt kind of car is cool with me, it all about your preference. My Friend who owns the lift where I do (He does) most of the work on the Vette (And on my old C4) owns a 79 928. I don’t have a problem with any CAR as long as the owner is cool.

Is the change from C4 to C5 worth around 10 grand? …Well as far as I know you only go around once., sometimes you just gotta roll the dice.

Corvette(s)
    2002 M.Y. convertible

I just traded my 93 in on a 01 and there is a world of difference! All good! Pinch me! If I woulda known earlier how great this car is I would have gotten one in 97. I can actually get the top off in under 20 seconds and no ratchet! This car takes bumps and rough roads like a Caddy. Well, maybe not that good, but definitely better than a C4. I could go on but you guys get the drift.

silverja

Both the C4 and C5 are great Corvettes. The C5 has some definite advantages as it was deigned later and with much better technology available. It performs faster, stops better, handles tighter, and provides better ergonomics. But so did the C4 when compared to its predecessor the C3.

One difference that I feel is distingushable between the C5 and C4 is styling. The rear designs are very different and from a design perspective, I personally find the C4 to be more visually symetric. The back end is more lean because there is no transmission placement there to accomodate. This is not a slam against the C5 either but is just a simple visual distinction.

The C4 does indeed ride rougher, which I for some strange reason, I enjoy. Feeling every bump in the road is a driving thrill that I like because it makes me think I am in touch with the road surface. And here in Western PA, you do feel the feedback from some lousy road surfaces. Whenever I drive a C5 it is so silky smooth in comparison to the C4. Once again, not a slam against the C5.

The last distinction between the C5 and C4 is in the technology arena and its associated compexities. I find the C4 to be simpler to diagnose even though it is the first generation of Corvettes to be computer-controlled. The C5 and all its technology can be intimidating and may require the assistance of credible dealerships for troubleshooting.

Other than these small and personal differences, I am glad that the C5 is better than the C4 in most categories. Its expected to be as the greatest sports car made is continually being refined. The C4 has its own character that I have become very attached to and I do not plan on letting mine go.

To those who move on to the C5, best of luck.

Corvette(s)
    1991 White

Great information. Thank You

Corvette(s)
    2002 MY Roadster

" Also, I find 6th gear almost useless. During my drive to Carlisle last weekend, I found the unless I am going between 75 and 80 on reasonable flat road the motor lugs as the revs are around 1500 in 6th."

It might be just me, but I noticed this also. It is a hell of a trade off as most of the in town speed limits are 65 and for me to basically even use 6th gear the minimum I can do is 70. This is what I typically do if the rest of the traffic is flowing in this speed range.

Since there is the CAGS I am trying to lcoate the optimum range of when to go from 4th to fifth, gas mileage wise that is. I am pretty sure that staying in 4th at slightly higher revs is decreasing the gas mileage, but I have found that if I am not doing somewhere between 55-60 for 5th I experience the same problem as with 6th gear.

My two cents

Pseudomind is a member of the Jacksonville Corvette Club

“Spirituality gives hope, religions divide people”

From a GED to an MBA

Corvette(s)
    2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertable

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudomind
    " Also, I find 6th gear almost useless. During my drive to Carlisle last weekend, I found the unless I am going between 75 and 80 on reasonable flat road the motor lugs as the revs are around 1500 in 6th."
    The owners manual says that you are okay at or above 900rpm. I had an LT4 6 speed and could do 60 in 6th with no trouble. Although, I had the performance axle ratio option, which may have made a difference.

Corvette(s)
    91 BLACK ZR1 , 96 WHITE LT1 COUPE

I drove a 01 vert it was different for sure. I liked it alot I could see me buying one. I would like to drive a Z-06. But I think the next Vette I get it will be a vert. After two coupes thats what I would go with.

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior

Warren,
    glad this post became active again because it was a great read. I obviously missed it when first written.

I have a ’96 LT4, my experience with C5’s is from four test drives I took of prospective cars when I thought of trading my LT4 for a C5 (this was back in ’99/’00). My longest drive was in a 2000 coupe.

Aside from the C5’s well known advances over the C4, I felt I could see more of the road ahead in the C5 than my C4. In coupe form, there is no denying the C5s targa is much more user friendly, undue the latches, stow and go. The hud took some getting used to, but it was fun to tinker with. The doors on the C5 seemed more user friendly as well. They seemed to open and shut “smoother” than what my C4s do. I really didn’t mind the ride of the runflats on the C5, I’ve read that they have a firm ride, but I had no complaints, the C5s ride felt relaxed.

With each C5 I have driven, I noticed right away that my LT4 felt just as quick as the C5’s I drove. This was purely going by seat of the pants, but your run of 13.12 confirms my impressions. My LT4 runs 13.2 @ 107 and is unmodified (A 13.1 or maybe even 13.0 is in there if I practiced more).

Great thread, it’s cool to read the impressions of Corvette owners who have moved up to the next generation.

B17Crew

Corvette(s)
    2002 MY Roadster

I have to admit the quote above is not mine. I had no tfigured out the use of the "Quote" icon so I put in quotation marks. The quote is from Warren.

Thanks

Pseudomind is a member of the Jacksonville Corvette Club

“Spirituality gives hope, religions divide people”

From a GED to an MBA

Corvette(s)
    95 LT1,91 ZR-1,93 ZR-1,82 CE L83

I had around 5K miles on my 04 C5 when this post started..I am now up to 40+K miles and I agree the C5 is one of the best drivers I have had, technology is a great thing.

But I still can’t get over the rush I get when I climb in the cockpit of the ZR-1, as far as performance the Z beats it hands down in every category except driving with the top off.
    Steve
    1993 ZR-1 # 179 Yellow/White Flowmasters, Haibeck Tune
    1991 ZR-1 # 118 Quasar/Black SW Headers/Corsa-3:73 gears-Haibeck-510HP/350

My other Vette's 82 CE, 95 LT1

Aquaman

I had many C4s myself. 85, 86, 88, 89, 91, 93 x 3 (all bright AQUA metallic), 96 x2. and I have had this 99 MN6 for 3 years. Best Vette I have ever owned, and by a land slide. Faster stock then my 96 LT4 car was 13.0@109 vs 13.2@107 as fast top end after just intake and exhaust as my ZR-1. the 99 did 183 in 5th verified by GPS. My 93 ZR-1 could muster no better then 182 on the same GPS also with an intake swap. Amazing fuel economy. I average 29mpg on the highway cruising at 80-90. None of the C4's could even think about that. My one 93 with 2.59 rear end got 26 on the highway at 80-90, the ZR-1 got 25 etc....

Ease of Entry / Exit vastly improved. Ease of working on the car is light years ahead (Spark plugs, Headers, Shifter swap etc...) The LS1 responds to mods better then any of the C4 cars I had and I had them all except the Cross-Fire and the B2K. the car is a better handler then any of the C4's with the possible exception of the GS but that car had a ton of rubber on the rear compared to the little 275's my car came stock with. I'll agree the sound system on the C5 is weak compared to the later C4's, but hell now all I want to listen to is the melodious sound from my exhaust anyway. As stated the top is way easier on the C5. The rear storage area is also vastly improved.

I liked the C4 better for the following reasons. I could driver faster sooner in the C4 then in the C5. Though I believe the C5 handles better it snaps way more then the C4's with the possible exception of the ZR-1 and so it takes some time to learn how the cars gonna react. The seats in the C4 are better. Stock C4 seats are better then sport C5 seats and stock C5 seats are a joke as far as support goes, though they are lighter. The C4 felt like you are part of the car when in it, that does not happen in the C5 though I know that was the plan to help ingress/egress.

I miss my C4's but never, not even one time have I regretted getting my C5.

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 #312 **SOLD**

I have no way to compare them as I have not yet driven a C5. Any takers??
    Life's too short to be unhappy.

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue Z06

Quote Originally Posted by koolaid117
    I have no way to compare them as I have not yet driven a C5. Any takers??
    Next time you are in Boise, you can take a spin in my Z06.
    Save the Wave!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast