Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: C5 vs. the Field

Corvette(s)
    1998, coupe, white

Default C5 vs. the Field

As a relatively new and first time Corvette owner.............I'm curious to know what the opinions are regarding the C5 vs. the other generations of Corvette.

In looking at recent clips and pics of the new C7 I noticed several other generations being represented along with the C7 but no mention or pics of the C5.

With that said, what is the general opinion among Corvette owners of the C5 and it's style, performance and overall appearance?

Needless to say, my first Corvette is a C5. I was able to purchase a one owner, 1998, with only 6,300 miles this past Fall. My preference was always the C5.

In advance, thanks, for you responses.

Corvette(s)
    2004 Z06 CE & 2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Chick B. View Post
    As a relatively new and first time Corvette owner.............I'm curious to know what the opinions are regarding the C5 vs. the other generations of Corvette.

In looking at recent clips and pics of the new C7 I noticed several other generations being represented along with the C7 but no mention or pics of the C5.

With that said, what is the general opinion among Corvette owners of the C5 and it's style, performance and overall appearance?

Needless to say, my first Corvette is a C5. I was able to purchase a one owner, 1998, with only 6,300 miles this past Fall. My preference was always the C5.

In advance, thanks, for you responses.
    My first Vette was an '04 Vert, we sold it in 2010 to buy a new Grand Sport Vert. I bought my '04 Z06/Z16 in 2008 and I'll never sell it!! I think the C5 Corvettes are the best combination of power, economy, performance and style of all of the series so far.
    It was really great that the previous owner of your's saved it for you!!
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,
    Z06/Z16 #1689

Corvette(s)
    1998 pace car,Impala, duramax, STS, k5

C5 is great! That generation has the best Pace Car anyway.

It's all a matter of what you like and want.
    Some people dislike pop up headlights, so for them the C5's are out. Some thing the rear end of the C7 is hideous, so for them the C7 is out. etc etc

One thing that I think most owners can agree on is at some point you fall in love with a certain style, and design features.

I can find things i like and dislike with all generations.

However you go, just love your car. You wont go wrong!!

Tank

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 CE

I go back and forth with my opinion of the C5's appearance. I definitely prefer the lines of the FRC/ZO6 when it comes to the C5. They seem sort of big, but heck, my C4 is not a small car.

When I see a C5 on the road, I always think it looks nice!

In terms of where C5's rank amongst Corvettes in overall appearance, they're not way up there for me. Mid year coupes, early C3's, C4's and C6's look nicer, imo, but that's just picking nits. I'd love to own a C5, particularly the C5 Z06, which is probably the best bang for the buck, performance-wise, on the used car market today.

The bottom line is, if it's a Corvette, it's OUTSTANDING!

You'll love owning one, and as I'm sure you already know, you'll definitely love driving one.

Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ16 View Post
    ... I think the C5 Corvettes are the best combination of power, economy, performance and style of all of the series so far...
    Concur 100%. I've not driven every generation of Corvette, but compared to a C2 (the styling of which I love, by the way), the C5 rides and handles waaay better. Yeah, with a 427 cu. in. engine and a 4-speed, my buddy's '66 C2 will probably beat me off the line, and most likely on the 1/4-mile. But go farther than that, or add in some 'twisties,' and it's C5 all the way...! And he gets maybe 12 mpg on the highway; I get 30 mpg...!

I'm sure the performance of the C6 and C7 are at least incrementally better than the C5. But the C6 never grabbed me with its styling -- and frankly, neither has the C7, thus far...
    BigJimZ16 likes this.

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Corvette(s)
    none right now :(

If GM marketed the C4 like they did the C5/C6 then the 1991 model year would have been the C5.

What I'm getting at is GM used to apply evolutionary changes yearly. If you compared a 1984 to a 1996 Corvette they are similar yet different in the same way that comparing a 1997 to a 2013 would be. Compare a 1984 to a 1989 and you'll see the change that you get between 1997 and 2004.

So the C5 isn't forgotten, it's just the base platform of the C6. It's really not worth comparing C5 to C7 because you kind of already did when you compared C6 to C7.

The C7 is revolutionary change just like the introduction of C3, C4, and C5 was. The C6 was evolutionary change like the used to implement yearly from 1953-1996... except they "evolutioned" it all at once into a generation.
    Huskerman likes this.

Corvette(s)
    1999 Torch Red Coupe

I consider the C5 to be the most Revolutionary Corvette to date. I think its still relevant today.

The C1 evolved from a 6 cylinder to small V8 over 10 years. Major increases in power and steady but modest suspension upgrades. From the C2 to the C3, the body changed and the engines got bigger and more powerful. Suspension and brake changes were incremental and the last years were pretty low on performance as was the rest of the worlds cars. I always wanted a mid-years until I actually drove one.

The C4 at first was a mixed bag. Fantastic corning capabilities on perfectly flat and smooth roads with initially weak engines. When the LT1 was introduced it was a major step forward. Good bottom end and mid range and top end power superior to the L98. The LT4 was a better engine than the car it was in.

When the C5 came out, in my opinion it was a game changer. I like the look of the C4 better, but I think the C5 is a better car. I had 2 of each. The C5, unlike all the previous generations of Corvettes had a ride that was smooth and comfortable without giving up any corning limits. The C4 was loose and shaky with the top off, (and that in itself was a major operation compared to the C5) had limited room by comparison and had a much harsher ride. The C5 Corvette was a true low 13 second car that would top 170mph and get 30mpg while being a smooth riding daily driver. GM quality aside, the C5 was the first Corvette to offer super car performance with a Chevy price that didn't ride like a truck. Additionally, the C5 has almost unlimited aftermarket support for performance enhancements. The computer in the C5 is much more receptive to tuning changes than the one in the C4. That's my personal experience.

The C6 is an evolution of the C5. Its improved in some areas, but its not a night and day difference. If you drive both on the same day, you could tell the difference - but its not that great. The C7, like all previous Corvettes is "New and improved" and has the same hype that every new generation had. We can only wait for the verdict on how it actually drives.

Corvette(s)
    Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

Default The Magnificent Seven

Each generation of the Corvette has been defined by all-new or significantly revised design, architecture and technology features – including powertrain and chassis/suspension technologies – that have helped the car maintain its position as the best-selling premium sports car in America.

catbert and marks146 like this.

Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Coupe Z16 Blade Silver

The amazing thing about the C5 is how it even came to be at a time when a befuddled GM corperate mentality could hardly get from day to day. If you have not read the book, All Corvettes Are Red, which chronicles the ups and downs of the C5 development, you should. You will be amazed that this car even made it to production much less sold 30 plus thousand of them most of the years it was in production......It is a great Corvette!

6 Shooter and kpic like this.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

It bothers me when Corvette people diss the Corvette, any generation. The Corvette has been the leading edge of technology no matter which generation or year. The C4 gets a bad rap, well I've owned a C2 (1964 coupe), a C4 (1994 Z07 coupe) and my current C5 (2001 coupe). I've loved each one, but for all round performance, the C5 is hands down the best. I'm sure if I were to drive a C6, I'd be impressed with it too. I like the new one too,and would love to own one. I plan on owning a C6 someday. Unless I win the lottery, in which I'd probably buy a C7.

Whatever year or generation you own you can't go wrong. If money were no object I'd have at least one of each generation.
    ​Formerly known as Toms01
    2007 Atomic Orange
    Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY)
    2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)

2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham, IL)

Visit the members GuestMap and show us where you live.

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/TomBachman

link to thread
    http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...c-members.html

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 CE

Quote Originally Posted by Toms01 View Post
    Whatever year or generation you own you can't go wrong. Sid money were no object I'd have at least one of each generation.
    I agree with this outstanding idea!

I'm sure someone has said it already, but just in case...

7 days in the week, 7 generations of Corvette. Coincidence?

No way!!!

JJS
    Corvette(s)
    2013 Triple Black GS, Previous cars: 1971 LT-1

Quote Originally Posted by Toms01 View Post
    It bothers me when Corvette people diss the Corvette, any generation. The Corvette has been the leading edge of technology no matter which generator or year. The C4 gets a bad rap, well I've owned a C2 (1964 coupe), a C4 (1994 Z07 coupe) and my current C5 (2001 coupe). I've loved each one, but for all round performance, the C5 is hands down the best. I'm sure if I were to drive a C6, I'd be impressed with it too. I like the new one too,and would love to own one. I plan on owning a C6 someday. Unless I win the lottery, in which I'd probably buy a C7.

Whatever year or generation you own you can't go wrong. Sid money were no object I'd have at least one of each generation.
    I couldn't agree more Tom. When the C3's first came out (I loved the mid-years as a kid) I absolutely loved them, even though I was only 12 years old. When the gov't decided to end the muscle car era, I still loved the new, low hp vettes - the styling, especially on the later year C3's was absolutely beautiful even though they were more or less "show, no-go."

A guy I worked with purchased a brand new '84 maroon corvette and I was envious - it was absolutely beautiful and they continued to improve (hp, handling) each and every year after that. So if you say you hate the C4's, you weren't around when Corvettes were making their comeback (HP, handling, styling).

They're all Corvettes, and they're all great cars that have their place in Corvette history - sorry for rambling!
    Last edited by JJS; 02-11-13 at 06:45 PM.

Corvette(s)
    2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible

That's not rambling. . . that's well said!

Jane Ann

For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble.

Corvette(s)
    2002 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post

Each generation of the Corvette has been defined by all-new or significantly revised design, architecture and technology features – including powertrain and chassis/suspension technologies – that have helped the car maintain its position as the best-selling premium sports car in America.

Looking at the above picture, I can honestly say that the c3 and c5 are my personal favorites. Of course, if I could, I would have one or two of each. My dream is to have a massive Corvette collection, but I don't see that happening. Anyway, people are always complimenting how nice my c5 looks. To me the lines just flow better than the c6 and c7. The lines on those are just too sharp for my taste. I did test drive a c6 and was very impressed at the comfort and power. Even for a base model it was fast. Ok, enough ranting, just wanted to put in my opinion. Happy Vetting everyone!

Corvette(s)
    2003 Torch Red

God I hate to chime in here but.. I have only had my 2003 C5 since November 2012, I have only driven a few Corvettes, a 1968, 1978, 1982, and a 1996, then mine. I love mine, it was a long time waiting to be able to purchase her, so some of my feelings are pretty emotional. But after doing all of the research, and looking around, The C5 seemed to be the BEST overall, the history that the C5 brings to the table, really is second to none. The Hydro-Formed frame, styling, engine and drivetrain setup is being used in the C6 and C7. The looks... Man I love the C5 looks. I am a sucker for the hidden headlights! The ride is perfect, The durability, it should last a long time. I only have 36K on mine, and I just had the oil changed this weekend. The mechanic told me he had NEVER seen a C5 that clean, and he could not find ANYTHING wrong! The closest he could come was the brakes will need to be done sometime soon. (he says I am good for another 15-20K approx.) I have no regrets at all owning her, even my wife loves the car. (She hardly loves anything ) I truly believe I will have this car for many many years! A C5 is a great choice. I never get tired of looking at her!

BigJimZ16 and Huskerman like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast