Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: PlastiDip

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    52
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Red Coupe (Intake/Exhaust)

    Default PlastiDip

    Tonight I bought some PlastiDip to flat black my targa, and then after I saw the results, I did the rear diffuser and driver's side fender hash marks. Let me know what you guys think. You'll have to see them in my PlastiDip album because I can't attach them for some reason from my phone. I liked the blacked out interior after the plastidip on the roof that I took off my visor stickers and fixed them while I was at it. I was feeling productive lol.

  2. #2
    Gone but not forgotten XLR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Posts
    10,268
    Corvette(s)
    2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible

    Default

    Looks good!

    Please - allow me to assist.
    Jane Ann








    For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble.





  3. #3
    Member PAULIE B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    LONG ISLAND, NY
    Posts
    238
    Corvette(s)
    '02 WHITE,(1987 Bright Red Coupe(Sold))

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 02VetteCoupe View Post
    Tonight I bought some PlastiDip to flat black my targa, and then after I saw the results, I did the rear diffuser and driver's side fender hash marks. Let me know what you guys think. You'll have to see them in my PlastiDip album because I can't attach them for some reason from my phone. I liked the blacked out interior after the plastidip on the roof that I took off my visor stickers and fixed them while I was at it. I was feeling productive lol.


    Hey that's pretty cool. Is the whole top now blacked out? How difficult was it to apply? It might be better to have, being I don't have the solid roof panel. It is always so hot in the car during the summers. Maybe the gloss would be better?
    Paul

  4. #4
    Member jrose7004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    9,558
    Corvette(s)
    04 Medium Spiral Gray Coupe

    Default

    It looks good from here! The nice thing is that if you decide you don't like it, it'll peel right off!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    52
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Red Coupe (Intake/Exhaust)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PAULIE B View Post
    Hey that's pretty cool. Is the whole top now blacked out? How difficult was it to apply? It might be better to have, being I don't have the solid roof panel. It is always so hot in the car in the summers. Maybe the gloss would be better?
    Paul
    Yeah. It looks better in person. At night it looks satin black in dim lights. In the daylight it just looks solid black. I used a full can on the roof, it was the first thing I dipped. It was very easy. Just take it off and tape off the metal parts that go above the side windows. Very cheap and easy. I can see a little bit of light showing through during the day, but can't tell on the outside. It looks good inside day or night. It was just my first try. I'll probably go over it again. But it is pretty good even without another coat. Don't forget to get rid of those "kids in the backseats that you don't have" off the visors lol. I just wanted to cover the old targa's tint and clear coat since it was fading. Decent improvement for less than 6 bucks. I recommend it. Good luck with yours

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    52
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Red Coupe (Intake/Exhaust)

    Default

    I redid the stripes also. Don't have pics because I drove the other car to visit home for New Year. My friends ask why I only did one fender and I have to school them on the 96 GS. Then they happily agree.

  7. #7
    Member fixvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Clever, MO
    Posts
    147
    Corvette(s)
    1998 Two Tone Torch Red& Black Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 02VetteCoupe View Post
    Yeah. It looks better in person. At night it looks satin black in dim lights. In the daylight it just looks solid black. I used a full can on the roof, it was the first thing I dipped. It was very easy. Just take it off and tape off the metal parts that go above the side windows. Very cheap and easy. I can see a little bit of light showing through during the day, but can't tell on the outside. It looks good inside day or night. It was just my first try. I'll probably go over it again. But it is pretty good even without another coat. Don't forget to get rid of those "kids in the backseats that you don't have" off the visors lol. I just wanted to cover the old targa's tint and clear coat since it was fading. Decent improvement for less than 6 bucks. I recommend it. Good luck with yours
    What did you do to prep the areas before you "dipped" them? Did you clean, sand or whip it with prep spray etc.???

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    52
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Red Coupe (Intake/Exhaust)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fixvet View Post
    What did you do to prep the areas before you "dipped" them? Did you clean, sand or whip it with prep spray etc.???
    I just cleaned it. That's all. No actual prep work.

  9. #9
    Member fixvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Clever, MO
    Posts
    147
    Corvette(s)
    1998 Two Tone Torch Red& Black Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 02VetteCoupe View Post
    I just cleaned it. That's all. No actual prep work.
    How? What type of cleaner? I've heard tales of this stuff falling off if not prepped correctly.

    Just trying to learn the facts first!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    52
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Red Coupe (Intake/Exhaust)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fixvet View Post
    How? What type of cleaner? I've heard tales of this stuff falling off if not prepped correctly.

    Just trying to learn the facts first!
    I just washed my car at the wash. Then did a good wipe on the targa with a wet paper towel. Just made sure there wasn't any debris between the roof and my dip. I think I used wind ex to be sure. Just make sure it doesn't have film or dirt.

  11. #11
    Member bwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    500
    Corvette(s)
    03 Z06,66 coupe,99 Porsche Carrera

    Default

    When prepping for Plastidip, you may want to wash your car, or anything else you're planning on Plastidipping, with Dawn detergent first. It will remove any old wax/polish build-up giving Plastidip a better surface to adhere to. It works great on your wheels too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© CORVETTE is a registered trademark of the General Motors Corporation & Chevrolet Motor Division.  Neither Chevrolet Motor Division nor any subsidiaries of GM© shall bear any responsibility for CorvetteActionCenter.com content, comments, or advertising. CorvetteActionCenter.com is independent from GM© and is not affiliated with, sponsored or supported by GM©.  Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.  All Rights Reserved