Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: Rear Speaker

Corvette(s)
    1994 White Coupe, 2004 Spiral Gray Coupe

Default Rear Speaker

I have a 2004 LS2, whats up with my Bose Stereo? I can barely hear any audio out of the driver side rear speaker. When I adjust fade to rear and balance to left volume is ohh so low? I disconnected the speaker and used my Fluke Meter to and measured 3.1 ohms resistance.
    Yes speaker is working but why so low? tnx, Sam

Corvette(s)
    '04, Triple black Vert,

I just checked mine out. There is a small difference in volume levels between the rear speakers, but not very much at all. I chalk the difference in volume (with mine) to being the fact that the driver side speaker is behind the seat, and point towards the passenger side, thus the sound/volume is going away from me when I'm in the driver seat.

If yours is significantly less volume, I'd say maybe your speaker is bad? Do you have a rogue speaker in the midst you can hook up to test and troubleshoot with? Hope you get it up and running! Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

I tore my dash apart last night and installed the PXDX and PXHGM4 so I can listen to my MP3 player though the factory radio. Having the door open drained my battery enough my car wouldn't start. So, it's now on the charger, if that makes ya feel better Good luck Sam!
    Last edited by BoDuke; 12-04-12 at 01:49 PM.
    -Aaron

Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'

I doubt it's related -- but stranger things have happened...

I've noticed the same thing with my '89 Firebird and '97 GMC Jimmy: one of the rear speakers (the passenger's side, as I recall) has almost no sound output. In the case of my Jimmy, I made an attempt to debug the problem when I had some of the dashboard torn apart while fixing an HVAC issue, and pulled the radio head with the intention of switching the wire leads to the speakers. Sadly I was immediately foiled by the eggheads at GM, who made the car easy and idiot-proof to assemble by making the speaker connectors different from front to rear, left to right...

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Corvette(s)
    1994 White Coupe, 2004 Spiral Gray Coupe

Thanks for the replies. I removed the Right and Left Rear Spkrs and swapped them, since the Right Rear Spkr seems to be louder than the one behind the drivers seat. I dismounted the Spkrs and laid them on the deck with electrical connections hooked up and turned on the radio (motor off). Upon listening to them with the deck lid open, they sound effectively equal in volume, with one another.

However they have no where near the volume, dispite fade/balance position, that the front speakers have.

I have two questions:

1. How many ohms resistance should each Rear Speaker have (read 3.1 ohms on both)?
    2. Should the Rear Spkrs be significantly lower in volume than the Front Spkrs with the Fade equal?

Corvette(s)
    '04, Triple black Vert,

Hey there Sam, sounds like you've been busy! I don't know anything about ohms, or the tech side of things, so I can't help ya with that.

My rear speakers have a bit lower volume than the fronts. If I had to put it in a %, I would say maybe 10-15%. Back in the day when I had the 'serious' systems in my cars (fonts, center channel, seperate tweeters for everything, mids, mid bass, subs, 4-7 amps, electronic x-overs, the works), we always went by 'Front main, rear fill'. We set them up so the majority of the sound was from the front speakers (dash and doors), and the rear door and rear deck would be fill in to balance everything out. Still plenty of volume and sound quality, but still a bit lower than the front. As far as I know, competition systems still do this, but I'm not sure as I've been out of that scene for quite a while.

I noticed this 'front main rear fill' balance on my Caddy's, Suburban, and also with the Vette. I take it as normal in comparison with my previous experience.

If your rear speakers are exceptionally lower in volume, maybe the rear channel on your head unit is exiting stage left (going bad), or the amps on those speakers are bad (I've heard that the speakers on a factory Bose system has their own individual amp).

Last but not least, maybe its working fine as it should, and you're just as disappointed with your factory system as I am with mine

Anyhoo, just another penny for my thoughts, keep the change. Cheers!
    -Aaron