Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: '04 radio/cd player question

Corvette(s)
    '04, Triple black Vert,

Default '04 radio/cd player question

Hey there everyone!

On my 04, I've come to realize that my factory radio (Bose) will NOT play any of my personally burned cd's. It just displays the ERR code and ejects the cd. It does however play the store bought cd's perfectly every time, no problems at all. I have an 04 Suburban with the factory radio (in dash 6cd changer, Bose), and it plays all my homemade cd's with out any complaints. Any one else have this issue? I don't want to put an aftermarket radio in the C5, but I really wanna listen to my tunes!

Also, any ideas on the best configuration of a sub box in the trunk of a 'vert?

Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'

Quote Originally Posted by BoDuke View Post
    ... On my 04, I've come to realize that my factory radio (Bose) will NOT play any of my personally burned cd's. It just displays the ERR code and ejects the cd. It does however play the store bought cd's perfectly every time, no problems at all. I have an 04 Suburban with the factory radio (in dash 6cd changer, Bose), and it plays all my homemade cd's with out any complaints. Any one else have this issue...?
    Yeah, I've occasionally seen the same thing on mine; I've had better luck than it seem you have in playing 'burned' CD's, but my factory CD player (including the 12-CD changer) does barf on them from time to time. I think there's something mentioned in the Owner's Manual about this possibility as well. I guess putting a disclaimer in the Owner's Manual is simpler (and cheaper) for GM than actually fixing the problem...

... Also, any ideas on the best configuration of a sub box in the trunk of a 'vert?
    Sorry; can't help you there.

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Corvette(s)
    '02 WHITE,(1987 Bright Red Coupe(Sold))

Hey there everyone!

On my 04, I've come to realize that my factory radio (Bose) will NOT play any of my personally burned cd's. It just displays the ERR code and ejects the cd. It does however play the store bought cd's perfectly every time, no problems at all. I have an 04 Suburban with the factory radio (in dash 6cd changer, Bose), and it plays all my homemade cd's with out any complaints. Any one else have this issue? I don't want to put an aftermarket radio in the C5, but I really wanna listen to my tunes!

Have an ipod adapter in my 02. It came with one and it is the best. I don't need to carry or store cd's. I went out and bought a small ipod loaded all my riding tunes and off I went. I think that's the best way.
    Paul
    BigJimZ16 likes this.

Corvette(s)
    '04, Triple black Vert,

Hey Paul,

My factory unit doesnt have the ipod adapter, but I've seen radios on eBay that do. I've been throwing the idea around about replacing my unit with one of those. It would be a lot handier than trying to keep track of the cd's Thanks for the suggestion!

Corvette(s)
    2003 Torch Red

Hey Paul,

My factory unit doesnt have the ipod adapter, but I've seen radios on eBay that do. I've been throwing the idea around about replacing my unit with one of those. It would be a lot handier than trying to keep track of the cd's Thanks for the suggestion!
    I have seen that guy on ebay also, and have wondering about his work, or quality of. I hate the thought of taking my 03, and changing everything out. I have an FM adapter and it is awful. I didn't buy the car to listen to music, but it would be nice to have decent tunes in there. That guy also has a blue tooth set also for the bose systems.

Corvette(s)
    '04, Triple black Vert,

Quote Originally Posted by Texasred03 View Post
    I have seen that guy on ebay also, and have wondering about his work, or quality of. I hate the thought of taking my 03, and changing everything out. I have an FM adapter and it is awful. I didn't buy the car to listen to music, but it would be nice to have decent tunes in there. That guy also has a blue tooth set also for the bose systems.
    So Texasred, are you saying that the ipod adapter on the radios isn't factory? When I was researching Vette's and looking at the factory options, I never seen a radio with ipod input as an option. Reference the ones on ebay, I figured maybe they were radios from like a Trailblazer etc that would fit a Corvette.

If the ebay radios are modified, I will go with out my burned cd's, or put an aftermarket unit in. And like you, I also didn't acquire my Vette for the radio (for being Bose and Corvette, it's a pretty disappointing sound system in my opinion to say the least). I take mine to Omaha every weekend which is 2 hours each way, so for me, some tunes other than 'radio' would make the trip that much more enjoyable

Thanks for the info reference the ebay units, that is extremely helpful!!

-Aaron

Corvette(s)
    2003 Torch Red

The ebay post says factory corvette, modified to accept I POD and even blue tooth.

97 04 Corvette C5 Tape Radio Bluetooth iPod MP3 Aux SAT | eBay

Again, I do not what his "skill" level is, I just happened to be looking in the C5 corvette section of Ebay. He has several types there, in fact if you look at the radio, you can see that he has drilled a small hole in the front, to accept the small headphone jack. Again, I wish I had contact with someone who has had dealings with type of mod, I just do not know if this is something I would go for or not. I have only had my 03 for a few weeks, and I hate the thought of taking this car apart just to listen to my I POD on that stereo. My thinking is, If I have gone that far, might as well just go with a whole new unit, speakers, and put the BOSE system in a box, in case I decide to trade up later in life.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

There are adapters that work with our factory radios. I bought one that replaces the CD changer and works off the "Aux". I'll see if I have info on it. I don't use mine much any more because I bought a "Sky dock" which uses my Ipod and I have XM radio, but I can play music off the Ipod as well.
    ​Formerly known as Toms01
    2007 Atomic Orange
    Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY)
    2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)

2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham, IL)

Visit the members GuestMap and show us where you live.

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/TomBachman

link to thread
    http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...c-members.html

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

Here is the adapter that plugs into the CD changer harness. I removed the changer and now have more room in the back bin.

I ran the new wire from the adapter under the carpet up to the console area.

Here's one of the install with the ipod in the console.

Plays through the radio "Aux" side. And if I remember correctly, it charges the ipod too.
    2007 Atomic Orange

link to thread

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

You can check out this thread.....

iPod Installation in C5 Using iSimple PXDP and PXHGM4
    BoDuke likes this.
    2007 Atomic Orange

link to thread

Corvette(s)
    2004 Machine Silver Z06

I wrote a full procedure on my web site that may help you out (scroll to the bottom of my web page).

http://www.ToqueZ06.com

1.) C5 Corvette - CD Player Laser Cleaning Procedure:

The Laser cleaning procedure really helped me out with ALL of my CD's not reading, or skipping a lot.
    When burning your CD's turn down the "burn speed" as low as you can. That also helps.

2.) C5 IPOD install:

This may help you if you want to install an IPOD in your car.

Hope this helps !
    Toque
    BoDuke likes this.
    Toque (Aka Z49 Z06)
    Email : MSilverZ06@yahoo.com
    Web page: http://www.ToqueZ06.com

Corvette(s)
    2002 convertible

The old Bose radios will not play home burned discs. They are not equipped to do so. The newer radios do have the ability to read those discs. Your radio must be able to read MP3 or WMA files. You can try to hook up your ipod like in the previous post or replace the factory head unit with an after market one. I opted for the after market stereo with the ability to read my discs and has the bluetooth also so I can talk hands free on the phone. Hope this helps you out.

Corvette(s)
    2002 convertible

Hey there everyone!

I went with the box that fits in the center compartment. CD changer had to come out though. But as I said in my previous post, I went with an aftermarket head unit also. Good luck.

Corvette(s)
    '04, Triple black Vert,

Hell again!

Thanks to everyone for the info, input, pointers, advice, and opinions! Here's what I ended up doing...I ordered a Sony NWZ-E465BLK 16gb mp3 player (Walmart $74.98), and a Zune C5 Corvette install kit PXDX/PXHGM4 from Double D Mods ($79.99 with free shipping)

As far as I can tell, this should be all I need. Devan at Double D was very helpful and knowledgeable, and explained to me what kit I needed and why, in comparison to the other kits available. Beings the have sub boxes, I'm sure I will end up getting one of those also.

Thanks again everyone. ALL the info and links were extremely helpful!!

-Aaron

Corvette(s)
    '04, Triple black Vert,

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    I went with the box that fits in the center compartment. CD changer had to come out though. But as I said in my previous post, I went with an aftermarket head unit also. Good luck.
    Is your sub box the kind that fits flush in the center compartment? How does is sound? Are you running a 10" or 12" sub? Where did you mount the amp for it?

Lots of questions, but I cant seem to find any info out there that relates to stereo systems in convertibles

Thanks!
    -Aaron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast