Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2005 Victory Red coupe

Default Six Speed fluid change

Hi all,

Even though the owners manual does not call for it,I am going to change the gearbox tranny fluid in my 2000 with 45k on the odometer.

I just recently bought the car from the original owner,and he did not change the fluid since new. Oil regularly,but not the tranny fluid.

Should i stay with the factory fill of Dexron 3 (as im leaning towards now) or something else.

Also I am putting the car in retirement soon for the Winter,and was going to do this before storage. As always,I welcome your feedback. Ken

Corvette(s)
    2001 mag.red 6spd coupe

Redline D4 ATF works very well in these units. It also seems to help with cold shifting. I've had it in now about 10,000 miles.

Mark
    markw8

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

GM's marketing of "low/no maintenance" is simply that...marketing.

For best durability and consistent shift quality, periodic lubricant changes are a good idea. About every 36,000 miles or three years is my rule.

Dexron 3 is the factory fill.

Red Line D4 ATF is a better choice, IMO. Many people use D4 and get an improvement in shift feel when they do. I'll add that D4 is Red Line's official recommendation for lubricant in the T56 six-speed.

A better choice for six-speeds which get driven aggressively or are operated in normal drive cycles but in hot weather is a 50/50 mix of Red Line D4 ATF and MTL....MTL is a 70W80 low viscosity GL4 gear lubricant designed for manual transmissions.

For predominately race track duty cycles or very aggressive street use in hot weather, I suggest using either straight MTL or Red Line Superlight Shockproof Gear Lubricant. "SLSP" is unique for its calcium-based EP additive package and its ability to work well in severe-duty.

I use Superlight Shockproof in my T56 and it's worked very well, but I'll add this disclaimer, use of SLSP Gear Lube on the street is not recommended by Red Line Oil, however, in my experience it works fine except for slightly higher shift effort when the transmission is cold. As soon as the lube begins to warm, the shift effort goes down to the low level typical of Red Line synthetic lubricants.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.

I have experienced noticeably better shifting in my vehicle with the Redline D4 ATF fluid. Carquest was the cheapest in my area at around $8.00 a quart the last time I purchased some. Raising the front of the vehicle slightly while draining will get about an extra 1/4-1/2 quart more fluid out of the transmission. Good luck with it.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    2004 6 Speed Roadster and 2011 Inferno Orange Z06

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    I have experienced noticeably better shifting in my vehicle with the Redline D4 ATF fluid. Carquest was the cheapest in my area at around $8.00 a quart the last time I purchased some. Raising the front of the vehicle slightly while draining will get about an extra 1/4-1/2 quart more fluid out of the transmission. Good luck with it.
    Can you do the change with simply gravity draining the old fluid and then replacing? No special draining tools required?

Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Quote Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
    Can you do the change with simply gravity draining the old fluid and then replacing? No special draining tools required?
    Yes.
    Remove the drain plug
    Drain old lube
    Replace drain plug
    Remove fill plug (if Z06, remove temp sensor)
    Fill trans
    Replace fill plug.

It's that easy--as long as you have a lift or jack stands to safely support the car. You can't use ramps because the trans needs to be level to drain fully.

Corvette(s)
    2004 6 Speed Roadster and 2011 Inferno Orange Z06

Cool, thanks Hib. Since it is put up for Winter, that will be my next project.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06

It's also the perfect time for a differential fluid change as well since the car is already up. Did mine at the same time.
    Edmond.

Contact me for the best prices on Amsoil.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Black on Black A4 Coupe

Hib, might I pick your brain a sec ? Just for an opinion.

I had my A4 2001 Coupe (73k, basicaly stock, blackwing, axel back, ECS wideband street tune, normal casual driving, occaisonal spirited runs, no track driving) serviced a while ago, just maintenance, had the tranny pan dropped (so not a complete flush, pan clean as a whistle when dropped, filter changed) and rear end fluid changed. No problems shifting before or after.

Asked about the rear end fluid but didnt ask about the tranny fluid before they did the work. When they were done I asked if the factory fluid was used and they replied that they used bulk Dex3 to which they added an additive called Lube Guard Platinum which they said brings it up to Dex5.

I wasnt happy. Without doing any research I would have preferred they just use the factory fluid (which I thought was synthetic). After much discussion (pretty well known shop, not ECS) I just let it go.

Was I worrying for nothing?

Thanks guy

I liked this so much I had to put it in here :
    Quote : 67heaven "The only active handling I've got is in my butt muscles. " 502 cubic inches / 567 ft. lb. 67 Coupe :-)

Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

None of my cars are automatics so I don't have much first hand experience with ATF much less a Dexron III "upgraded" to "dex5" with an additive.

If I had an automatic, I'd run it on Red Line D4 ATF and forget additives.

As to whether or not you have anything to "worry" about...I don't know. Again, because I don't have automatics, I have no experience with "Lube Guard Platinum".

Wish I could be of more help, but....

Corvette(s)
    2001 Black on Black A4 Coupe

Was worth a shot (after all, the list of things you are in fact familiar with regarding the C5 is a pretty long one).

Thanks Hib

I liked this so much I had to put it in here :
    Quote : 67heaven "The only active handling I've got is in my butt muscles. " 502 cubic inches / 567 ft. lb. 67 Coupe :-)

Corvette(s)
    2004 commemorative convertible 6 Speed

If I am not mistaken the six speed trans.uses automatic trans fluid.I also think the synthetic fluid is the best.That is my 2cts.
    Ed