Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2002 SPEEDWAYWHITE

Default coolant change?????

my 02 c5 just hit 14k(bigtime garage queen),am i due for a coolant change the dexcool in the overflow tank is clean and bright red..........
    thanks in advance

Corvette(s)
    1988 white 4+3 coupe 99 Torch Red 6spd. coupe

My 99 has 8600mi.(bigger garage queen),I just changed my Dexcool, I got the GM type, What I took out looked like what I put in, clean. I did'nt know when it was change last so I figure it would not hurt.

my 98 coupe has 48k on the clock, even a bigger garage queen, coolant still looks good, my 84 vette has 46k on its clock, its a real garage queen.....

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Remember people, with coolant, because of the corrosion inhibiters, its time not mileage that is usually the determining factor on a coolant change.

With engines filled with mixes of water and Dexcool of less than 70/30, change it ever 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first and use one bottle of Red Line Water Wetter.

Engines using 70/30 or less--ie: 50/50 or 55/45, can go up to 5yrs or 50,000, whichever comes first.

Those who posted about a 98 and an 02 which have never had coolant changes ought to do that ASAP.

Corvette(s)
    1988 white 4+3 coupe 99 Torch Red 6spd. coupe

Vettesplus, That was 8thou6hundred miles, previous owner didn't use the 99 much either, this Vette sort of found me, neighbor of my sister passed away, his family just wanted to sell it quickly. I already had an 88, plus 4 others in the past. I should not have looked at it, I was hooked as soon as the cover came off. I'm sure the coolant was changed, but I'd rather be safe from what I've been hearing about head gaskets. I do most of my own wrenching and having a garage queen is ok.

Did mine last summer, but as stated above it was because of time not miles. 9000 miles.

robs817_c5

Hi There sorbet02:
    If you have the factory fluids in your 02 which you probably do. I would change all of them. I used distilled water & 2 bottles of water wetter & the dex cool in my 01 on 6/07. Miles were 12,434. I changed the brake fluid & tranny fluid.I also did the clutch fluid using a dripless turkey baster.My factory coolant was clean, changed it because of the 5 year time limit.Clutch fluid done at 12,434.Manually bled all the brakes at 13,144.on 11/10/07. Fluid was factory & dirty in color.I had some notchyness going into 1st gear. Changed the tranny fluid 10/10/08 using gm p/n 88861800 . Noticed a big difference in the shifting. The notchyness disappeared & smoother shifting.
    You can test the coolant by using the refactometer method.Using digital volt meter put the black test lead on the battery negative cable.Place the red test lead into the coolant. Any reading of .2 volts or less is ok. Anything greater than that change the coolant.
    robs817-c5

Corvette(s)
    2001 Silver Coupe

Question, I also have a 2001 and I want to change the coolant, but I'm hesitant to do a flush when I change it. Every chevy I've owned has had problems following a coolant flush. Water pump seals begin to leak, I've had a elbow connection between the block and the pump crack and leak, and I don't want any of these problems with my Vette. Is is OK to simply drain and refill the system with fresh coolant? Any issues?

Corvette(s)
    2001 Silver Coupe

Hi, Question; Is it absolutely necessary to flush the system when replacing coolant? Every chevy I've owned has deleloped problems when I flushed the system when changing coolant. Water pump seals begin to leak, I've had a fitting crack and leak, etc. I've got a 2001 Vette and I don't want to risk these types of issues by flushing the system if I can avoid it. Any issues? Suggestions? Thanks