Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !

Default Castrol 'edge' vs Mobil 1. . . ?

I see the ads on teley about Castrol 'Edge' being 8X better than Mobil-1. Any thoughts about this claim? I don't see anything wrong with Mobil 1 and how do you engineer a better oil than what Mobil has done?

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe

that is a great question.
    I had the same thought after the TV ads. I guess the first place to start is to find out if it has the same or better GM certification.

Corvette(s)
    07 A6 Coupe

Think with your dipstick Jimmy!

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe

I compared the info on the Mobil 1 website and the Castrol Edge website.
    Castrol edge says: " Castrol Edge CLAIMS to meet more specs. than Mobil1 Extended Performance incl. Ford WSS M2C929-A; GM 4718M and GM 6094M"
    They say that they claim to meet... as though someone else was writing the answers.
    My owner's manual says GM 4718M.

They also say that it has a 15000mi / year change interval compared to Mobil 1.

Needless to say that the marketing people are either poor writers or weasily.
    They are concerned about "wear" but most Corvettes are more concerned with temperature range.
    All they have to say is it meets XXXX specs and thats it!!
    I guess i have to look at a bottle.

Corvette(s)
    1998 Black Coupe

It's sad really, but Mobil 1 is not as good as it used to be. It's been on a downward trend ever since Exxon took over, and now it's all about the profits, so they are cutting back wherever then can in order to make the allmighty dollar.

The oil analysis reports I've seen with Mobil 1 have steadily shown higher engine wear over the last couple of years, so this isn't new news to me, I've known about it for a while.
    1998 Black Corvette Coupe
    Best ET-12.81 at 109.4 mph
    Stock except for Vararam & tuning

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe

They really make you work for it. There is a Castrol Edge product data page. Here is a part of it :

Available Grades
    • SAE 5W-30: is the most recommended grade in today’s new cars. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ or CF is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1/A5, B1/B5; GM 6094M; GM 4718M; Ford WSS M2C929-A and all requirements of ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

• SAE 10W-30: is the leading consumer grade. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ or CF is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1/A5, B1/B5; GM 6094M; GM 4718M and all requirements of ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

It looks ok to me. might be pretty good. Mine uses GM 4718M.
    I wish they would do better marketing/ info.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    (snip)

The oil analysis reports I've seen with Mobil 1 have steadily shown higher engine wear over the last couple of years, so this isn't new news to me, I've known about it for a while.
    I was wondering if you could post some of these oil analysis reports you have showing the degradation of Mobil 1.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    I was wondering if you could post some of these oil analysis reports you have showing the degradation of Mobil 1.
    I think the reports are necessary as the factory fill for :
    Corvette and corvette ZO-6
    All Bentley vehicles
    Mercedes Benz AMG & Mercedes Benz SLR Mclaren engines
    All porsche vehicles
    Chrysler 300C SRT-8
    Dodge Viper & charger SRT-8
    All Holden vehicles
    Nissan GT-R
    Pontiac Soltice GXP
    Saab 9-3 TTid
    Veuxhall VXR8
    Mitsubishi Evolution and Lancer Evolution FQ400
    Opel GT
    All Cadillac vehicles
    Bristol fighter and Bristol fighter 8
    Acura RDX
    Aston Martin DB9 & DBS
    Chevrolet trailblazer SS
    Chevrolet cobalt SS S/c coupe
    Saturn Sky Red Line

and more manufactures, but. . .

Are all these engineeres and companies willing to use an inferior motor oil?

Corvette(s)
    1998 Black Coupe

Just check out the used oil analysis section on the forums at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php and there are quite a large number of Mobil 1 oil analysis results on there.

You'll notice a trend once you go through a bunch of them, and that is the fact that Mobil 1 shows much higher iron levels than other oils do.

Corvette(s)
    1998 Black Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by killain View Post
    I think the reports are necessary as the factory fill for :
    Corvette and corvette ZO-6
    All Bentley vehicles
    Mercedes Benz AMG & Mercedes Benz SLR Mclaren engines
    All porsche vehicles
    Chrysler 300C SRT-8
    Dodge Viper & charger SRT-8
    All Holden vehicles
    Nissan GT-R
    Pontiac Soltice GXP
    Saab 9-3 TTid
    Veuxhall VXR8
    Mitsubishi Evolution and Lancer Evolution FQ400
    Opel GT
    All Cadillac vehicles
    Bristol fighter and Bristol fighter 8
    Acura RDX
    Aston Martin DB9 & DBS
    Chevrolet trailblazer SS
    Chevrolet cobalt SS S/c coupe
    Saturn Sky Red Line

and more manufactures, but. . .

Are all these engineeres and companies willing to use an inferior motor oil?
    Apparently they are.

Just because Mobil 1 happens to be factory fill in all of these cars does not make it the best oil. It just means that Mobil 1 has been lucky enough to secure the factory fill contract, and has the worldwide availability and heavy marketing that makes 99% of the driving public think it's the best oil out there, so it is still a good choice for car makers to use just based on those facts alone. It is still a good oil, it's just not as good as it once was. Most people will never put enough miles on their engine (especially Corvettes, most of which end up as garage queens unfortunately) to wear them out anyhow, so in most cases it doesn't matter which oil they use.

Corvette(s)

Apparently they are.

Just because Mobil 1 happens to be factory fill in all of these cars does not make it the best oil. It just means that Mobil 1 has been lucky enough to secure the factory fill contract, and has the worldwide availability and heavy marketing that makes 99% of the driving public think it's the best oil out there, so it is still a good choice for car makers to use just based on those facts alone. It is still a good oil, it's just not as good as it once was. Most people will never put enough miles on their engine (especially Corvettes, most of which end up as garage queens unfortunately) to wear them out anyhow, so in most cases it doesn't matter which oil they use.
    I contacted ExxonMobil, and they replied that they do not and have not changed the mobil-1 formula and that it still passes GM4718M requirment and recently has passed the Honda HTO-06 standard requirment for turbocharged engines. But I really have doubts that Porsche and Mercedes Benz AMG as well as the new Nissan GT-R would use something whcih has been changed and that there was some doubt as to how effective an oil it was? I would think that Porsche would like to see your analysis data.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Just check out the used oil analysis section on the forums at Bob Is The Oil Guy - Powered by Motor Oil and there are quite a large number of Mobil 1 oil analysis results on there.

You'll notice a trend once you go through a bunch of them, and that is the fact that Mobil 1 shows much higher iron levels than other oils do.
    And...in your opinion, as an expert in spectorgraphic oil analysis, what conclusion do you draw from that?

Also, I think you ought to quit being evasive and tell us specificly what the actual results are. Additionally, telling us just to go look at Bob is the Oil Guy is bogus. What threads on that site (ie: the URLs) offer scientific evidence to support your statements.

Corvette(s)
    1998 Black Coupe

And...in your opinion as an expert in spectorgraphic oil analysis, what conclusion do you draw from that?
    Higher iron levels indicate higher valvetrain wear for one, and could also indicate less of an ability to fight off corrosion inside the engine too (something I'd certainly worry about a lot if I had an engine that sat unstarted for long periods of time)

Corvette(s)
    1998 Black Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by killain View Post
    I contacted ExxonMobil, and they replied that they do not and have not changed the mobil-1 formula and that it still passes GM4718M requirment and recently has passed the Honda HTO-06 standard requirment for turbocharged engines. But I really have doubts that Porsche and Mercedes Benz AMG as well as the new Nissan GT-R would use something whcih has been changed and that there was some doubt as to how effective an oil it was? I would think that Porsche would like to see your analysis data.
    Do you honestly think that Exxon Mobil is going to tell you that they've changed the formula and it's not as good as it once was? The guys answering the phones there (and emails) are instructed exactly what to say, and it's not always the information that people truly need to hear. And FWIW, the formula of Mobil 1 has been changed numerous times over the years, they are constantly tweaking it, plus it always goes through a big change everytime they release new API specs (such as SJ, SL, SM, etc.) So for them to say the formula hasn't changed over the years is completely false, it's changed many many times.

If you guys don't believe me, then you can always contact Terry Dyson, who is the leading expert in interpreting oil analysis reports, and he'll say exactly what I'm saying, that the formula for M1 has changed many times over the past few years and it's not as good as it once was, and the oil analysis results he has interpreted for people prove this.

Here is Terry's website:

http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

Corvette(s)
    1998 Black Coupe

Also, I think you ought to quit being evasive and tell us specificly what the actual results are. Additionally, telling us just to go look at Bob is the Oil Guy is bogus. What threads on that site (ie: the URLs) offer scientific evidence to support your statements.
    I figured that once you guys get there you could find the results for yourselves, but if you're gonna make me work for it, I guess I can.

Here are the more recent M1 5w30 oil analysis reports showing high iron in them:

Mobil 1 5W-30/4546 miles/2007 Mazdaspeed3 - Bob Is The Oil Guy
    Mobil 1 5W30 UOA; 6856mi in 05 Kia Spectra - Bob Is The Oil Guy
    Mobil 1 5W-30, 7520 mi, 08 Crown Vic Police - Bob Is The Oil Guy
    Mobil 1 5W-30, 6162 mi 07 Crown Victoria Police - Bob Is The Oil Guy
    M1 5W30 2000 4Runner 3.4L 5600mi - Bob Is The Oil Guy
    Mobil 1 5w30 4,500 miles/ 96 Ford Taurus SHO - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast