Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2001 Yellow Convertible

Default Noise after ignition is turned off

I have a 2001 6 speed. Occasionally, when car is stopped and just after I turn off the ignition I immediately hear a very low sound, fairly loud, coming from the engine area. This doesn't sound like dieseling and the sound doesn't repeat. Does anyone an idea what this might be?

Corvette(s)
    2000 Pewter coupe

could it be the column actuator lock engaging?

Corvette(s)
    2001 Yellow Convertible

I don't think so. It doesn't happen every time I turn off the ignition. Maybe 1 in 4. It is fairly loud and a low sound and sounds like it is coming from under the hood, like a high torque electric motor was just braked to a halt in a spit second.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

This might be the ETC motor closing or resetting the throttle opening. On the other hand, it might be something else.

I'd open the hood, stand next to the car and listen while someone else shuts the engine off.
    Hib Halverson

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ITLSCOOT View Post
    I don't think so. It doesn't happen every time I turn off the ignition. Maybe 1 in 4. It is fairly loud and a low sound and sounds like it is coming from under the hood, like a high torque electric motor was just braked to a halt in a spit second.
    Is it the A/C pressure equalizing after shut down?? 134 A/C systems will do this sometimes depending on outside temps and amount of charge!!
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    2000 Pewter coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    I'd open the hood, stand next to the car and listen while someone else shuts the engine off.
    Yep, that would be your best bet........

Corvette(s)
    99 C5 Convertible

Junk, aside from moving to a different climate would charging the system stop that noise?

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by zagger View Post
    Junk, aside from moving to a different climate would charging the system stop that noise?
    It might,It's possible it is a bit Low!! The heck of it is,134a is not as forgiving as R12,1 oz over charged or 1 oz undercharged will effect the way the A/C cools the vehicle and can also let the evaporator Freeze Up!! My 03 A/C will Whistle, Hiss or Gurgle sometimes when I shut it down,usually on a 100 deg day after I've been Rocket Ride'n!!!
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com

Corvette(s)
    99 C5 Convertible

after I've been Rocket Ride'n!!!
    That is what they were build to do!

The reason I asked was that mine developed a whistling noise that sounds like a supercharger winding up (wish I had one!) and its intermittent while driving (usually when accelerating). Sometimes there is a short noise after shutting off the engine. After a year of looking for the source of the bugger I'm still unable to locate it. AC is the only thing I have not looked at.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Quicksilver coupe

Is it the normal noise that you get if you turn the ignition off while in neutral, with or without the clutch engaged? Mine will "rattle" when the engine stops if it isn't in reverse.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Yellow Convertible

Noise is when it is in neutral, clutch isn't engaged and noise appeared within past 6 months. I didn't have the noise during first 37,000 miles.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

That rattle noise after key off with the trans in neutral is not engine-related.
    Hib Halverson

Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Anniversary

Default If not engine related then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    That rattle noise after key off with the trans in neutral is not engine-related.
    I have same issue with 19K miles on 2003. Rattle when shut off engine and trans in neutral. No rattle when shut off with clutch in. Any ideas before I try and jack it up and check.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by mlynchs2g View Post
    I have same issue with 19K miles on 2003. Rattle when shut off engine and trans in neutral. No rattle when shut off with clutch in. Any ideas before I try and jack it up and check.
    That noise is absolutely Normal,I think it even says something about it in the owners manual!~!!Mine didn't do it at first,but it developed after 1500-2,000 miles!!

junk!!
    "WARNING"
    www.gmjunkie.com

Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Anniversary

Default Thanks,

It will just remind me of my 68...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast