Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1986 two-tone gold coupe

Default 1986 Headlight motor relay

ok, the driver's side headlight will go down when I turn them off but it doesn't go up when I turn them on. I ran a wire from the pass. side connector to the drivers side motor and it works great in both directions. so I hooked up a volt meter to the green and white wires on the drivers side connector(they're suppossed to controll the up direction of the motor) and it reads 0 volts when the headlights are off, and it reads .3 volts when the lights are on(it should read 12volts).....

IMPORTANT PART: so I figure that the problem is the relay for the driver's side headlight motor, I have the part number that should be written on the relay(10031018) but I can't find it. does anyone know where it is located?

Corvette(s)
    86 4+3 Coupe-Yellow

Ken
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe

You do good work, Jack. Thanks!

Corvette(s)
    1986 two-tone gold coupe

Agent 86, I love you(in a non-homosexual way of course) thanks so much

Corvette(s)
    1986 two-tone gold coupe

ok, well the good news is that I found th relay.... the bad news is that both relays are good, so that's not the problem either.... the headlight goes down even when the relay isn't connected, I just dont know what to do next..... any ideas/suggestions are appreciated

Corvette(s)
    86 4+3 Coupe-Yellow

If your sure the left and right relays are good then i would think the problem is within the isolation relay.

Corvette(s)
    1986 two-tone gold coupe

but the isolation relay should have no affect on the left side headlight motor....judging by the wiring diagrams I've seen

nyernga

Quote Originally Posted by CarDemon04
    but the isolation relay should have no affect on the left side headlight motor....judging by the wiring diagrams I've seen
    I noticed that as well. The grey wire, which is tied from left to right is UPSTREAM of the relay. Try a direct 12 volt source to the motor and see if it operates. That should eliminate the motor itself. My next guess would be a break in either the grey or green wire.

The 88 schematic shows no isolation relay but it does have fusible links. Apparently the configuration changed from 86.

Len

Corvette(s)
    1986 two-tone gold coupe

Quote Originally Posted by nyernga
    Try a direct 12 volt source to the motor and see if it operates. That should eliminate the motor itself.
    thats one of the first things I tried.....

and as for a problem with the wiring, I kinda already think I'm gonna hafta do that but I'm hoping somebody might think of something easier to check before I go tracking through the wiring harness lookin for a bad wire...uk?

Corvette(s)
    89 Brilliant Red Metallic

It appears Fusible link F is blown or there is a bad connection at the Battery Jumper block which is located below/behind the Battery.

If you look there, you'll see a bunch of Red Orange colored wires going to a stud and held together by one nut.

At the left side headlight door relay you should measure
    12 volts to ground on the Red wire on Pin A of connector (C2) at all times.

I_R_DA_ONE

ok, the driver's side headlight will go down when I turn them off but it doesn't go up when I turn them on. I ran a wire from the pass. side connector to the drivers side motor and it works great in both directions. so I hooked up a volt meter to the green and white wires on the drivers side connector(they're suppossed to controll the up direction of the motor) and it reads 0 volts when the headlights are off, and it reads .3 volts when the lights are on(it should read 12volts).....

IMPORTANT PART: so I figure that the problem is the relay for the driver's side headlight motor, I have the part number that should be written on the relay(10031018) but I can't find it. does anyone know where it is located?
    Advance auto part number ---MR86 cost 13.49

the relays are located on the front of the left lower fender shield....there will be three relays ....2 for the headlights and one for an isolation relay .....the isolation relay looks the same but it is not

I_R_DA_ONE

These relays are noted to get water in them and rust up giving you all kinds of strange conditions