Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"

Default Air Pump making noise...

Well I think my air pump is making noise. I tried to track it down to the pump itself, or the pulley. However I just noticed it and I was putting it away for the night. I will try to check things out tomorrow. Anybody else have a bad air pump story to share so I can compare?

Craig
    Mods to date:
    383 Stroker, Heads/cam/ intake, Ported Plenum, Ported and siamesed runners, Big Mouth Manifold with EGR delete, 52MM TB,TPIS Long Tube Headers, 3" exhaust, Dynomax UltraFlow Mufflers, Holley AFPR, MSD 6AL, 30# injectors,255 LPHWalbro fuel pump, Vortex Ram Air, MAT Relocation kit, TB Bypass,Heated 02,2400 RPM stall torque converter, Pioneer Head unit, Infinity speakers.

Mods soon to come:
    Super Ram/Mini Ram?? 3.73 rear gears.

Other vehicles:
    1973 Bucaneer Red Pontiac Trans Am 455 w/4sp
    1971 Starlite Black Pontiac Formula 455 auto w/air.
    2004 Victory Red Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3

Corvette(s)
    1987 Z52 Black Convertible

Does yours sound like mine did when it was at the shop running and we heard that noise? I think that the pump was making the noise or at least thats where it sounded like. It was almost like a rattle and a thud combined.

Justin

Corvette(s)
    94 White Rag top, 85 4+3 Cop Finder Red Coupe

I replaced mine in the 85 the pump made allot of noise at any rpm over 2k, so I spent the morning replaceing it, well it would take only about 20 mins to replace but I wire brushed and clear coated everything I took off and the new pump. The new pump made noise for a few trips than quieted down.

Corvette(s)

I have given thought about getting rid of it. I also thought about turning it into a centrifugal supercharger. Wouldn't that be neat, I dont think that would really work though. I will check it some more, it might be the pulley.

Craig

Corvette(s)
    '86L Blk 4+3 Z51

Quote Originally Posted by vetteboy86
    Well I think my air pump is making noise. I tried to track it down to the pump itself, or the pulley. However I just noticed it and I was putting it away for the night. I will try to check things out tomorrow. Anybody else have a bad air pump story to share so I can compare?

Craig
    I had a strange noise coming from that same vicinity and thought it was the pump. Even used a stethescope(sp). After changing out 2 of them discovered it was the alternator . Depends on what the noise is like. If it sounds like a turbo, unplug the alternator and see if it goes away. Good luck.

Gordon

Corvette(s)
    1987 Redskin Red Coupe

mine made a very loud grinding noise like a vortech supercharger......lol i put the air elim pulley on it and the whine went away. i can hear my injectors again

87 Coupe
    Old Times! New ones coming Soon!
    Best 60' 1.815 on Good Year F1 Street Tires!
    Best ET 13.187
    Best MPH 105.84
    Check out my Car Domain Site!
    www.CorvetteKillStories.com

Corvette(s)

Mic,

How much work was it to eliminate it? I am sure I can get the air pump off, however all the other stuff that goes with it.

Thanks

Craig

Corvette(s)
    1987 Redskin Red Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by vetteboy86
    Mic,

How much work was it to eliminate it? I am sure I can get the air pump off, however all the other stuff that goes with it.

Thanks

Craig
    about 20 mins...

i haven't taken everything out as of yet but all the connections are cleaned up very nicely. when i pull the intake next week the rest of the metal lines are coming out

87 Coupe
    Old Times! New ones coming Soon!
    Best 60' 1.815 on Good Year F1 Street Tires!
    Best ET 13.187
    Best MPH 105.84
    Check out my Car Domain Site!
    www.CorvetteKillStories.com