Results 1 to 5 of 5
- 05-27-04, 10:50 AM #1
- Join Date
- May 2004
- Black - 1993 LT1
Brake Upgrading - Braided Brake Hoses?
I am upgrading to GS Calipers and 13" rotors. Is it worth it to buy braided brake hoses? Do they really make you stop better or should I save the money and keep my original brake hoses?
How much to pay?
Where to buy?
- 05-27-04, 11:21 AM #2vette-dudeGuest
- 05-27-04, 11:46 AM #3tlongGuest
I replaced the stockers with Goodrich ss braided lines while she was on the jacks and the rest of the system was off. The pedal feel is firmer and more consistent, and the ABS doesn't fire near as much.
Many feel it's a waste, but I've wasted so much already that brake upgrade doesn't seem unnecessary. Hib Halverson Vette Guru likes them for the better feel.
I don't see the downside except $125 and 2 hours work.
- 05-29-04, 10:34 PM #4
I have had the stainless lines for about 15 years. They felt 'harder', but the rubber ones were a bit aged and probably expanding under pressure.
One statement mentioned in the referred thread and uttered by the factory that makes many boosters, ioncluding the hydro I installed.
Like any friction force, "Braking effectiveness is a function of pressure and area applied". Going to larger rotors and pads increases the swept area and you might need a larger booster to fully utilize them. In some cases, your brakes may not be as effective with larger pads/rotors.409 cid four bolt, forged crank/11:1/alum. Dart Pro-1/FMS-30pph@45 psi/BBK 52mm/'90 ECM Custom chip/Lingenfelter SuperRam/Comp Cams hydr. roller 230i-236e@050 /TPIS long tubes 3"/'84 Corvette cat/Flowmasters/ BeCool rad./FlowTech water pump/180* 'stat/3.54:1 rear gears +case cryo hardened/Bilsteins: 'Challenge' specs/Heim jointed rear suspension; all poly/ZF6-40 by ZF Doc//I.M.I. mini-starter/Battery inside/Electric HydroBoost brakes/FatMatted/Shinoda body/updated PwrWindows
- 06-02-04, 12:59 PM #5C4DCGuest
They are on my list of upcoming mods and will probably do the bias spring at the same time...
- By Charlie '64 in forum C1 & C2 General and Technical DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 04-20-04, 03:05 PM
- By attret00 in forum C1 & C2 General and Technical DiscussionReplies: 4Last Post: 03-08-04, 07:47 AM
- By C3RVETTE in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 44Last Post: 02-19-04, 12:50 PM
- By voorthuist in forum C4 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 9Last Post: 01-01-04, 10:43 PM
- By maxrevs85 in forum C4 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 14Last Post: 09-05-02, 09:13 PM