Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1967 Marlboro Maroon Coupe, 1992 White Convertible

Default Max Tire size in a 92

I've done the search and read the threads, but I still am not sure if I know the answer.

If I buy new chrome rims I have some options for width and backspacing. What combination will give me the maximum tire size or sizes on a 92 convertible and not have anything rub or stick out?

Who's running big rubber out there without ZR1 body mods?

Moonunit 451

You can find your wheel ofsets here. http://w1.601.telia.com/~u60113743/corvette_wheels/
    From there it's a mater of the width of wheel you buy. You should be able to run 315's in the rear without any problems with an 11" rim. Keep in mind that you wouldn't want to run that wide on the front, and there are a limited number of manufacturers of tires in that size. No rotating either.

I also understand that there is difficulty obtaining the 275's from many manufactures right now, including Good Year. Good luck.

Corvette(s)
    1994 Torch Red Coupe, 1981 Blue Coupe, 1973 Orange

Default Tire size

I run 315/35's on my "94" in the rear without any body mods. Very happy with them back there. I had them on the front as well, but didn't like the look, I went to 255's, but next time I will go back to the 275's up front, which is what came stock on my car.

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

I'm running 275's on the front and 315's on the rear. No problem.

I'm using the factory ZR-1 style 11" wide rear wheel and they stick out a little but I mounted GS flares to cover the excess. If you use the GS rear wheel or one with similar offset (50mm) they don't stick out.

I've also used 285's all around without any problem.

Like garycr14, I don't recommend the 315 on the front although I've seem several with 315 on the front - many of them rubbed under full steering.

GoodYear is making the new D3 in the 315/35/17 size. GY also makes the F1 SC in this size. I'm using Michilen Pilot Sports but I'm not sure if they are still available.
    Tuna
    NCM Lifer - NCM Fighter Squadron
    2014 Caravan Captain - OK/TX Panhandle
    Central OK CC - Lone Star CC

Corvette(s)
    1967 Marlboro Maroon Coupe, 1992 White Convertible

I guess it just boils down to rotate or not to rotate. All the good tires seem to be directional so you can't move the rear tires from side to side to even up the wear unless you break them down. Not too exciting. What you wind up with is two worn out tires on the right side. If you didn't rotate, at least you would have to replace tires on the same axle.

Those of you that can, do you rotate or just bite the bullet and buy new?

By the By what kind of milage can I expect on something like a GSC?

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

I don't rotate tires for obvious reasons. I do have the alignment checked fairly regularly and I do check the tire pressures regularly. This keeps the wear reasonably even by axle.

The best miles I've managed on GSCs were 33K for the first set. After that, I started autocrossing and generally running it harder. Since then 25K, give or take a couple of thousand, seems to be the norm. I'm wondering just how long the Pilot Sports will last. If I get 20K out of them, I'll be doing okay.
    Tuna

Kidd Galahad

Tuna:

I have 315/35/ZR17's on the rear of my 96 Coupe and 275/40/ZR17's on the front. I have ZR1 wheels.

My question is: I need to replace the rears right now. Can I put 275/40/ZR17's on the rear so I am the same all around????? Will it fit on my wheels??? I don't have the rears off the wheels so I can measure the width, but they are 17". Are there different sizes of ZR1 wheels or just one size?? Will the 275/40/ZR17's fit on my ZR1 wheels???

Please reply as soon as possible. Weather is getting warmer!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Kidd

P.S. New to this and haven't had to buy tires yet. I'm a little confused about the different sizes on front and rear. Thanks again.

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

Kidd,

Without knowing what width wheels you have, it's hard to say.

I have seen 315's mounted on the "standard" 9.5 width ZR1 style wheels. Not what I recommend but it happens.

Do your wheels look the same? The 11" wide ZR1 wheels have a much deeper center section where the lug nuts are. Most wheels have the size case into the rear of the wheel somewhere - the factory ZR1 wheels have it inside one of the spokes.

If you actually have the 9.5" wheels all around, then by all means switch to the 275 tire. If you actually have the 11" wheels on the rear, then I'd suggest staying with the 315 tire.

You are not the only one confused by tire/wheel combinations on the C4. Check out Hib's C4 suspension guide at http://idavette.net/susp_chart.htm and you'll see all the different wheel and tires sizes used.

Just to add to the confusion, the ZR1 style wheel comes in 3 sizes - 17x8.5, 17x9.5 and 17x11. The 9.5 and 11 combo was used on the ZR1. The 8.5 and 9.5 combo was used on the 95 Pace Car and the 96 Collectors Edition with base suspension. With Z51 suspension, the 96 CE got 9.5 wheels front and rear. All other 95/96 Vettes (except the ZR1) got the sawblade style wheels.
    Tuna

Kidd Galahad

Default ZR1 Wheel & Tire Sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    Kidd,

Without knowing what width wheels you have, it's hard to say.

I have seen 315's mounted on the "standard" 9.5 width ZR1 style wheels. Not what I recommend but it happens.

Do your wheels look the same? The 11" wide ZR1 wheels have a much deeper center section where the lug nuts are. Most wheels have the size case into the rear of the wheel somewhere - the factory ZR1 wheels have it inside one of the spokes.

If you actually have the 9.5" wheels all around, then by all means switch to the 275 tire. If you actually have the 11" wheels on the rear, then I'd suggest staying with the 315 tire.

You are not the only one confused by tire/wheel combinations on the C4. Check out Hib's C4 suspension guide at http://idavette.net/susp_chart.htm and you'll see all the different wheel and tires sizes used.

Just to add to the confusion, the ZR1 style wheel comes in 3 sizes - 17x8.5, 17x9.5 and 17x11. The 9.5 and 11 combo was used on the ZR1. The 8.5 and 9.5 combo was used on the 95 Pace Car and the 96 Collectors Edition with base suspension. With Z51 suspension, the 96 CE got 9.5 wheels front and rear. All other 95/96 Vettes (except the ZR1) got the sawblade style wheels.
    TUNA:

Not sure how to post on here either. Sorry, I'm new here. But, thanks for the info.

My hubs do set back in pretty deep. Both front and rear wheels look the same size height wise, but I know it's the width that matters in my case.

I'm really new at this. I just need to know if 275/40/ZR17's will fit on my rear wheels that have 315/35/ZR17's on them now.

I guess I need to take the rears off and just measure them huh??????

I'm sure these are just standard ZR1 wheels, but you say they come in 3 sizes. Sure is confusing.

Thanks for your help Tuna and if anyone else has a solution, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks in advance,

Kidd

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

Take a tape measure and stick it between the spokes and hook it on the back flange of the wheel and see how far the front flange is. You ought to be able to tell the difference between 9.5 and 11 inches easy enough.

If you decide to take the wheel off, just look at the back side of the spokes, the size ought to be case into one of them. You may need to clean some brake dust to read it.

Again, just because you have 315's now doesn't mean that 275's will fit or work right - and vice versa. GoodYear's recommended wheel width for the 275 is 9-11 inches so either wheel would be in that range. The 315's recommended wheel width is 10.5 to 12.5. So, you can see my concerns.
    Tuna

Moonunit 451

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd Galahad
    Tuna:

I have 315/35/ZR17's on the rear of my 96 Coupe and 275/40/ZR17's on the front. I have ZR1 wheels.

My question is: I need to replace the rears right now. Can I put 275/40/ZR17's on the rear so I am the same all around????? Will it fit on my wheels??? I don't have the rears off the wheels so I can measure the width, but they are 17". Are there different sizes of ZR1 wheels or just one size?? Will the 275/40/ZR17's fit on my ZR1 wheels???

Please reply as soon as possible. Weather is getting warmer!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Kidd

P.S. New to this and haven't had to buy tires yet. I'm a little confused about the different sizes on front and rear. Thanks again.
    Hey Kid Welome to the forum If you've got 315's on the back 99% chance those are 11" rims. You will not be able to rotate. Relace with the high $ 315's, enjoy, and look damn

Kidd Galahad

Thanks Tuna & Moonunit:

The rears are 11" and the fronts are 9.5" or 10". I guess I have to stay with the 315's on the rear huh???

Does anyone know where I can get a good price on two 315/35/ZR17's?????

I'll replace the fronts later with 275's.

e-Bay did'nt have any new ones, just drag slicks in that size.

Thanks for all your help and the hearty welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!

Kidd

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd Galahad
    Thanks Tuna & Moonunit:

Does anyone know where I can get a good price on two 315/35/ZR17's?????

Kidd
    I'm been buying all my Vette tires from TireRack.com. The only 315's they show at the moment are the GY F1 SC (Super Car - like used on the ZO6) and the new F1 D3. The SC is listed at $354 while the D3 is shown at $255. Ouch either way.

My tires are Michilen Pilot Sports but TireRack is not showing them anymore.

Unless maximum dry traction is your only concern, I'd go with the new D3 as it comes highly rated (do a search here for Hib's testing article).
    Tuna

tlong

Default D3

Hey Tuna,

I'm a raving fan of these tires. I have 9,000 on a set. Everyone says they're a rain tire. Don't they know we don't drive in the rain?

The dry grip is phenomenal. They don't let go. On wet asphalt the sensation is a pronounced downward plow through standing water vs. hydroplaning as before. The tread design evacuates the water out the sides that vacuums you to the road. This same feature lets the air out for a much quieter ride.

The rim protection is a little lip over the rim for curb rash prevention. Good idea.

Watch the clearance on the 315s as they are wider than most at the tread. They are wearing great. Fronts a bit better, probably at least 75% left. I don't push it often. I think these are a real leap ahead for this kind of car.

Would I steer ya wrong? I paid $198 each from local tire guy that met Tire Rack price. Get these, Tuna.

Moonunit 451

You got the G3's for $198? Can you still get that kinda price, and do they have the 275's in stock?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast