Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    tlong

Default Magnetic Oil Pan Bolt?

What's the concensus on these? It seems like a great idea to grab any metal floating around.

Ecklers has a round magnet that sticks to the bottom of the filter. That sounds good too.

Waste of money? Get a life?

Tim

slashnick

They seem like a good idea to me. I think new cars come with them from the factory. My 97 S-10 did.

Ken
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe

You should always use a magnetic drain plug in your oil pan.

The oil filter magnets are another story; I don't know if they are of any value or not - I doubt it but it couldn't hurt.

Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe 6 speed

Just put them both on mine today.
    Filter magnet and magnetic pan plug.

Cant hurt!

Rain
    UPDATED: MORE SONGS FROM OUR CD

Endorsing Artist with CA Guitars -

2000 Corvette Coupe---Black on Black---6 speed
    19/20 HRE 547, RK Sport Hood, Vararam, PIAA Headlights, C6/Z06 shifter, Borla Exhaust, Rocker Rails, Frame Savers, Flush Tail Lights, Both Tops, Lowered, etc.

1996 Corvette Coupe---Bright Aqua Metallic---Automatic
    SOLD!!!!

HTRK-1

I put one on my vette. I've never seen any metal, but that's definately a good thing. For the price, most C4's with original oil plugs are due for a new one anyway.

tlong

Default Will Do

Next change it goes in with a new oil temp sensor. Digital always says 'LO'. Filter magnet couldn't hurt either. Somebody should invent one already on or in it.

I have to run this stuff by y'all to keep from doing another air foil.

Rain, I love that color. Looks like the water off Cozumel.

where can I get one locally? At what parts store chain? I asked at the local AutoZone & Murrys but no luck.

Does the Chevy dealer carry these?
    as of 7/28/07 Corvetteless, soon to change!

Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe 6 speed

Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe 6 speed

Thanks Tim.

Only 357 or so of these ever made in 1996.
    (and 3 of em are on the MS gulf Coast)

One with over 100k miles, another with 14k, and mine with 55k.

Thanks for the kind words
    Rain
    UPDATED: MORE SONGS FROM OUR CD

Endorsing Artist with CA Guitars -

2000 Corvette Coupe---Black on Black---6 speed
    19/20 HRE 547, RK Sport Hood, Vararam, PIAA Headlights, C6/Z06 shifter, Borla Exhaust, Rocker Rails, Frame Savers, Flush Tail Lights, Both Tops, Lowered, etc.

1996 Corvette Coupe---Bright Aqua Metallic---Automatic
    SOLD!!!!

Corvette(s)
    2004 Corvette Coup

Default Pan magnets

I put the magnets on my oil pan near the drain plug on two of my prior vehicles and it rusted both of my oil pans under the magnet.My truck pan was really bad and I had to have the pan replaced. My truck was outside all the time but my corvette was garage kept and it still rusted also over time not as bad but I will not use the magnets on the bottom of the oil pans maybe on the bottom of the filter is ok.

Banned
    Corvette(s)
    Miss my '62 & '80 4- Sp. Vettes

A magnet in the drain bolt is a great idea. It's like sticking a thermometer in someplace..... "where the sun don't shine." This will give you a health reading of the engine each time you replace the oil. Minor slivers that you could count on one hand would be normal wear. A packed magnet with debris surrounding the magnet, like seeing one's hair sticking in the air with a bad case of static electricity, is a warning signal that the engine is about to grenade. It's well worth the peace of mind to install one to watch the slow degeneration of the engine's life span.

first you should not stick magnets to the outside of the oil pan, they trap moisture between the magnet and the pan surface , this can and offen does cause rusting like you found out, second,those oil pan plug magnets are a #$% joke!
    USE MAGNETS THAT WORK!!

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin...catalogno=0001

everyone , reading this should buy 4 of those #1 magnets and install them in their engines oil pan,run the engine for a few months , pull the oil pan and then tell me what you find,If you wan,t Ill save you some time, youll find a larger collection of metallic dust than you would ever want embedded in the engines bearings , stuck to those magnets, and youll find the bearings looking far better than they ever looked before!just some info, just one of those magnets can lift a sbc cylinder head, and yes they work exceptionally well at trapping metalic dust

I normally place (4) one in each corner of the oil pans sump to prevent metalic dust from reaching the oil pump pick-up once you get them and install them youll see how much crud they prevent from reaching your bearings the next time you pull the oil pan, and never forget to use them in future engine rebuilds. BTW the site mentions that they can loose strength if heated over 250 degrees, don,t worry about it, the magnets stay well under 250 degrees even if the oil gets close to 250 degrees, because they are in firm contact with the oil pans lower inside surface and that lower outside surface outer surface is in direct contact with the outside cooler air, in the many years Ive used them they have NEVER showed any tendency to lose strength, if your worried about it just J&B weld them to the outside surface of the oil pan sump, they will work almost as well that way

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...70&prmenbr=361

for those of you not familiar with these they slip between the block and spin-on oil filters, they don,t work on all sizes of oil filters, and they are not designed to replace frequent oil filter changes or allow longer times between oil changes, they are usefull for installing when you make a trip to the track! and yes you need to remove them on a street car after returning from the track,they were never intended for street use!
    keep in mind the MAIN PURPOSE of pre-screens is to allow you a easy look at a SAMPLE OF the metalic, gasket,silicone and plasic crud that the oil system is pushing thru your engine,they are not designed to be filters,they do not trap 100% of the crud,(neither does your oil filter for that matter, they, the pre-screens, are designed to allow you to spot bearing or cam lobe wear quickly, but they only work if you take the time to INSPECT them frequently by spinning off the fillter and inspecting them, the average oil filter has between 200 and 450 sq inches of filter area, thes pre-screen have less than 10 sq inches of filtering area,so they are easily at least partly blocked with crud and can and do restrict oil flow if you NEGLECT to inspect and clean them FREQUENTLY we used them all the time on race engines that we worked on every week , and in that application they are a great help in catching problems before they become major, but if your like most guys and only take the oil filter off durring 3000 mile oil changes THEY ARE A BAD IDEA for THAT APPLICATION
    BTW most guys running race engines DON,T USE THEM as the ONLY source of info on engine condition MOST guys also cut open and inspect the oil filters themselfs to look for bearing material and signs of engine wear
    now Ive said this before, you also should have installed the good magnets in your engines oil pan, simply because they can trap and hold most of the metallic dust that a failing cam and lifter generates from getting constantly pushed back into your engine to cause furthe damage

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin...catalogno=0001

Banned
    Corvette(s)
    Miss my '62 & '80 4- Sp. Vettes

Recently purchased an '03 Silverado. The oil pan is aluminum. I haven't looked underneath a late model Vette engine, but I would assume this is the direction oil pans are headed.
    I also found out that the aluminum oil pan gaskets are a one-piece unit. To replace the oil pan gasket, would involve removing the engine, and then disassembling the front engine components (timing cover) to replace the one-piece oil pan gasket .
    The "penny" magnets are a great idea for internal steel oil pan applications.
    Unfortunately, replacing aluminum oil pan gaskets would be cost prohibited, especially changing oils at 3,000 mile intervals....sans correctly installing a penny magnet to aluminum.

This is the C4 forum, so naturally all comments, are directed at the 1984 to 1996 corvettes