Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1996 Black on Black

Default 96 Front Bumper repair $$$

This is my first post in this forum but I must say most everything I've want to know about I've found. I bought My Vette knowing it had a small repair job done to the front bumper (3 inch diameter), but I didn't anticipate the paint peeling at the repair so soon. My quotes have been $600 to repair the small spot with a complete sanding a repainting of the bumper and completely replacing the bumper and paint at $1200. The shop that wanted to replace the bumper was concerned about cracking that shows in the paint. The entire bumper has been repainted before. Do these sound like reasonable quotes? I really don't want to replace the entire bumper if possible.

Thanks.

Welcome to the

I would think closer to 300 bucks would cover it - maybe that's just me living in the past

I wouldn't think full bumper replacement is needed...
    Again, welcome

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 Collector Editon

I agree with 89X2, because about a month ago I got an estimate for my whole hood, bumper and mirrors. The gentleman quoted me $650 for the hood, bumper and mirrors. The only way the paint shop should quote you higher than $300 is if the fiberglass was damaged. May I aslo add the paint shop I received my quote from does a great job. I've seen alot of there work at car shows!! Just my 0.2
    Jim "Vette96CE

Corvette(s)
    1996 Black on Black

I though they were high, but there is a small spot on the bumper that will need repair. I'll keep searching for a better quote.

Thanks.

beamer

i got hit by a flying piece of aluminum siding on the feeway last week. stratch and gouged the front end, license cover and hood. i took it to my dealer - a friend works then. the estimate was $ 1269. they said they have to take the front bumper to repaint and they will have to paint the entire front bumper and hood. its a 96 collectors edition - they say the silver does not touch up well.

Corvette(s)
    1996 Black on Black

That stinks! I don't know how well Black paint holds up to a touch up but I thought 600 was high. I will probably end up spnding that much anyway. Good luck!

MCNE

Corvette(s)
    Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16

In San Diego we have a new company called BumperMedic.For 200 - 300 they do a great job. My friend had his red Navigator dome, could not see the repair & paint match was perfect.

Check at a few car wash places near you, they advertise there or yellow pages.

Corvette(s)
    '95 LT1 Coupe, Comp Yell; C6 Roadster, Vel Yell

Sounds like fair pricing to me, considering I just paid $545 (lowest of 3 quotes) to patch and paint the upper right front corner of my door (where it meets the windshield glass). Seems like I closed my door on my shop light extension cord. The hard plastic ball on the cord that keeps it from retracting into the reel got pinched right at that corner. Busted off a piece about 1/2" x 1". OUCH. I think they painted and clearcoated the entire upper 1/2 of the door though.

Corvette(s)
    1996 Black on Black

I figure two more quotes and then I'll make a decision. One nice thing is they will sand and paint the entire bumper in the process. These cars are just expensive to have bodywork done. Although I new these cars weren’t cheap to repair when I purchased one.

MCNE