Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    jwn4854

Default broken grease zerk on lower balljoint

Just had an oil change and lube and was informed i had a broken grease zerk on the lower ball joint of passenger side. was told that the balljoint would have to be replaced because of the broken zerk. does anyone know if i can replace the zerk? i know most of them are threaded. thanks joe

Corvette(s)
    '68 White Vert '05 Silverado SS

Joe,
    Having to replace the ball joint is the last option.

These fittings are threaded but they can be removed by using an easy-out, available on the Snap-On truck/catalog, local parts stores, etc.
    I have also heard of people trying left hand twist drill bits to remove broken fasteners.
    You could also drill this thing out to almost the exact size of the threads and collapse the remaining portion of the fitting and remove it that way.
    We used to do all these techniques on our airplanes in lieu of actually replacing a major portion of the landing gear. In your case, replacing a ball joint, and getting an alignment done afterwards.
    Sonds like someone is trying to get more out of you than actually needed. If you don't feel like doing it yourself, get someone at the local machine shop. These guys get busted off bolts out of blocks for a living, along with the other magic they perform.

My .02 worth.

Cee

Corvette(s)
    1995 White Coupe LT-1 Auto

Default Zerks

jwn4854,
    A tractor store will have a zerk extractor (easy out) and new zerk for very low price (extractor and 10 various size zerks for $10 or so). Most auto stores too. Use the tapered thread type, not the drive type.
    Replace the zerk, cleaning out the hole before putting in the new one, and make sure the joint takes grease. If not, the ball joint itself is likely damaged (usually not).
    Good luck,
    John

jwn4854

thank you guys. we replaced the fitting easily. its great to be a do it yourselfer at times. joe