Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Patio

Default '86 Windshield Wipers

Does anyone know why my windshield wipers will not turn off. I've already replaced the switch in the drivers door but still occassionally the wiper will keep running until I turn off the ignition at which time they will turn off and park.

Ken
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe

My guess would be a defective switch.

tkrphxr

Default Wipers

You may have a problem with the circuit board on the wiper motor itself. I ran into this on a couple of GM products. The board is available from Chevy seperate from the motor. On some GM's they don't list it seperate but you can take the part # of your old board or just take the board with you and match it up. The board is about 35.00 the whole assembly is about 250.00. I hope this helps Good luck!!! Charlie

dmrodco

GM had a problem with this whole set up I had a 82 Trans am that did this exact thing. The problem turned out to be the home relay inside the black plastic cover on the wiper housing. I replaced it and after allot of adjusting it finally worked right. The adjustment is critical so that when you turn the wipers off the motor has to be exactly home ( park ) or it keeps going around. Hope this helps.

jz7p6t

Default Wiper Switch

We just ran into a wiper switch problem on an '88 vette. The owner bought a new GM switch, installed it, threw away the original and then when it didn't work properly, asked a friend of mine to fix it. He ordered a new switch, installed it and it didn't work properly either, that's when he asked me to look at it. After a lot of testing, checking, etc, I've come to the conclusion that the wiper switch is incorrect for this application! The switch construction in the Off, Delay and Low positions do NOT match the wiring schematic for the switch in any Vette wiring diagram from 86 to 90. I temporarily fixed it by changing the resistor on the switch to at least get it to turn off and have some delay function. We are now trying to find an original wiper switch to see if it matches the schematic. Note the vehicle wiper system/delay works correctly when configured to match the schematic. I'm going to post a thread to see if anyone else has seen this problem.

Corvette(s)
    1986 Bright Red Coupe

I've got an extra wiper switch from an 87 lying around if you want it...
    [RICHR]

rockytoptilidie

Yesterday, my wipers wouldn't turn on unless it was on High, and then they wouldn't go down-they would just stop wherever I turned them off at. Is this the switch?

jz7p6t

Default Wipers only work in High

The circuit for the High speed is separate from the Low/Mist and Delay circuits. Try all the switch positions - Mist, Delay (at various settings) and Low. Also try your washers. Let me know what you find.
    Do you have the circuit schematic and a voltmeter?

BHARLEY

i just went through this problem. high worked fine, nothing else other than the washers worked, and they stopped immediately where you shut them off. i had just bought the car from a dealer, and they fixed the problem. they replaced the entire motor assembly. i'm not saying that this was the correct fix, but it did fix my wiper problems. good luck. bill