Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Bad Year"

okie

Default "Bad Year"

I am obviously the new guy on the block as I do not have a Corvette yet. My question is are there any particular years to avoid? We have a local dealer who has or can get just about any year I want, but even though I grew up in the 50s and 60s Corvettes were always way beyond my reach, therefore I do not know a great deal about them other than the 60s are classic and the 90s are pretty neat with a lot of bells and whistles....

Thanks,

bp

Corvette(s)
    none right now :(

the best rule of thumb (without getting into details).... the newer the better... get the newest car that fits the budget

okie

Ok, that makes sense, in this case the 94s seem to fit best. The late 70s, 80s and early 90s all seem to be priced within the same ball park. The early 60s are about twice or three time as much.

Thanks, I still have a lot to learn, but I am getting there....

bp

Corvette(s)
    1999 Torch Red Coupe

It also depends on what do you mean by bad? Some years had a gasping 160 HP engine, other years had much more powerfull engines but other problems.

Alfonso Gomez

OK, welcome to the club. DO NOT BUY THE FIRST CORVETTE YOU ARE OFFERED. If someone tries to sell you a 1983 Corvette, tell him to take a hike. No such thing exists. The 1984 model has a cross-fire fuel injection system that I have been told is a pain in the butt. I don't know if it can be upgraded to TPI (tuned port injection). I have not seen many performance items for this year. C4's (1984 - 1996) are very nice, except 1984 for the reasons explained above. Many performance items for these models. You can find one from 1985 on at reasonable prices, although probably with high milage. High milage SHOULD NOT be a problem if the car was properly mantained and not abused. Shop around, test drive them, and if possible, take a friend who knows Corvettes. Not all mechanics know these cars.
    These cars tend to be rough riding, so do not expect it to move like a Cadillac.
    As for spare parts and accesories, get catalogs from: Mid America, Corvette Central and Ecklers. That way you will have an idea of how much you will have to invest in repairs and other items. You will find many items for 1984 to 1987 less expensive than the same item for 1988 to 1996. As for C5's (1997 till present) the prices for the car are a lot higher and the parts and accesories too. If money is no problem, buy a brand new Z06 and blow the doors aways from practically anything on the road.
    Good luck and keep checking this website.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06

Default Re: "Bad Year"

Originally posted by okie
    I am obviously the new guy on the block as I do not have a Corvette yet. My question is are there any particular years to avoid? We have a local dealer who has or can get just about any year I want, but even though I grew up in the 50s and 60s Corvettes were always way beyond my reach, therefore I do not know a great deal about them other than the 60s are classic and the 90s are pretty neat with a lot of bells and whistles....

Thanks,

bp
    It depends on what you want from the car. Do you want something to cruise around in or something for some occasional high rev romps?
    Edmond.

Contact me for the best prices on Amsoil.

78SilvAnniv

Default I wouldn't say...

...buy the newest, but I would recommend buying the best maintained vette you can!
    Keep in mind also, your budget for repairs and what you wish to use the vehicle for. All cars are individual, you will find within makes and models of all years some that are trouble free and others that are nightmares!
    We have a member here with a 1984 that has been a fabulously reliable vehicle for him!
    Generally, the first year of a new style may have some 'bugs' or problems particular to that model, but with many people doing restorations, these problems may have already been adressed with the vehicle you are considering.
    Buy the best vehicle you can afford. Shop wisely, not emotionally!
    Heidi

btw, welcome "okie" to CACC!

Eagle85C4

I would have to agree with the Lady....she knows what she is doing...

Corvette(s)
    Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

Default Be patient, watch out for the fever, Vette Fever . . .

Welcome to

Here's a few web links to flip through the years . . .

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/index.html

http://www.vette-net.com/closeup.asp?year=1953

Corvette(s)
    1984 Z51 Silver/Gray & as Much SS & CFibre we find

Alot depends on personal preference as to body style. HMMM....if u want a Vette just to own a Vette.... buy the newest no matter how ugly it is

As 4 reliability they all have their inherent problems. Actually, the 82 + 84 cars are probably the most mechanicly reliable of the computer controlled cars..... Less complicated and easier to fix. The bad wrap of CFI is just BS since GM was cheap and stupid in putting a 305 F-body intake on the 350....thus performance is not easily enhanced......its actually super reliable.

Corvette(s)
    1982 Silver Coupe (Sold!), New C5 in 3 weeks!

I AGREE with Corvette 1984.

The Crossfire Injection system is a reliable piece if kit. He's right in saying that if anything goes wrong it's cheap and easy to fix. The TPI setup is far more complicated, it maybe be a better/more fuel efficient system as far as performance is concerned. But a good crossfire can make good power numbers. I have an '82 Corvette and it's one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned... and it's 20 years old!!!!!!!

My car currently makes 226 Bhp with minor modifications. Roller Rockers and K&N filters are on the cards next and should take it up to around 240Bhp. Up to 250Bhp if I am lucky. And the sort of mods I have done do not cost big bucks.

Not bad, considering the standard car starts with 200Bhp!!!

If anything, the sort of things that go wrong are common with most other cars... things like fuel pumps, O2 sensors etc. These sort of problems can happen with the TPI cars as well.

What you must remember is the crossfire corvettes are 18 - 20 years old now. Any problems that they may encounter are more to do with age rather than a unreliable setup.

Like I said, mine's 20 years old and runs like clockwork. It's a good system for the home mechanic to work on and has great low end torque. Spend a bit of money making it breath better and it makes power throughout the rev range (rather than low down!).

If you ask me, an '82 Corvette is the best compromise between getting a third generation Corvette with a fairly modern induction system!!!

It's up to you...!!!

Cheers
    Dazza

Corvette(s)
    1984 Red/Graphite Auto 66k Z51

I certainly agree w/ Heidi.
    Maintenance is critical for any year or style.

I also agree w/ the other 2 CFI owners.
    I have had zero probs w/ my 84 in that area... knock wood.
    Extremely reliable. However, Alfonso has a point about
    mods being less common. The CFI site addresses a lot
    of these issues however, and with the "proper" manifold,
    the CFI engine can really rock.
    http://www.crossfire.homeip.net:81/cftest/default.asp

Another thing about the 84 is that the suspension is really
    tight. They loosened it up each year after that.

Good luck in your search.

Rick

Corvette(s)
    1991 Coupe Blk/Blk

My advise would be to get the newest one with the lowest miles you can afford, because vette parts are expensive. When I was looking in 1999 I wanted a newer one with a lot of bell and whistles. You need to get a corvette black book and you can see what features were added in what year, from 84 they started adding things like antilock brakes, multi port fuel injection, ect.
    I personally like the 91 to 96 body style better than the 84 to 90 so that is what I looked at.
    If I were looking now I would look at a C5, the prices are down now. I love my C4 but they do not ride good and there is not a lot of room inside, if these thing are important to you then look at the C5, they ride better and have more room. The C4's are more of a sports car, and drive
    as such. I would take a C4 and a C5 for a ride and see what you like better.
    Also make sure you look at a bunch, do not buy the first one you see.
    Good luck
    91 Coupe - Black/Black
    Almost Stock - 40K
    160 Stat, TB bypass, Custom PCM Programming, Radiator cleaned.

"Everything sucks except what is supposed to"

TONY TAT2

Buy 2 or 3!!!Keep the neighbors wondering!!!

Piet

What do you want it for?

Daily Ride? Go for the C4-C5

Head Turning Cruiser? Go for the C3

The C4-C5's have a lot of the modern technology. So your maintenence will probably be easier. However, whenever I think of Corvette.... I think Shark. But that's just me.

Good Luck on your search, wish I was at that point. (Baby due today)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast